• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (1 Viewer)

A fascinating group of insects with some interesting mimics.

Here are three to start off with. Feel free to shoot my IDs down in flames ;)

First two Eristalis tenax (Drone Fly)
Epistrophe eligans
Helophilus pendulus

The following key covers Helophilus sp.:
http://home.hccnet.nl/mp.van.veen/KEYS/Helophilus/helo_key.html

The last pic is another Eristalis tenax I think.

Love this thread, and Brian it is such a good idea to start it off.

Love the pictures and, I have got to admit they are beautiful insects to look at. enjoy seeing them in the garden.

Unfortunately I only have a basic book (need to buy so many books at the moment!!). The only 2 pictures I have are of the Drone Fly and the Hover Fly. Of course there are lots that exist.

So I will tread forth to the book shop, and buy what is needed when more organized here

Anyone got a good book to buy in mind here? ;) Appreciate any suggestions? If the book is combined, as a insect book, that will be all right too.

(I have had a good recommendation for a butterfly and Moth book at the moment, so I will add this on to my list!)

Thank you for your help :t:

There was a hoverfly on hemp agrimony in our garden yesterday. It was only about 1cm long and I'm afraid the photo is rubbish. But is there enough there to make an ID?
Ken

Attachments

• 1cm hoverfly.jpg
    1cm hoverfly.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 174
Hello all!

Anyone know what this one is? Photoed today in the Australian National Botanical Gardens in Canberra (Australia).

Cheers!

Dimitris

Attachments

• Hover Fly.jpg
    Hover Fly.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 162
Helophilus trittivatus

This is a large and very bright hoverfly. Note the yellow vertical face stripe (black in other Helophilus spp.) and the all yellow 'toes' on the middle leg.

Attachments

• helophilus_trittivatus_29aug07_800l_20.jpg
    helophilus_trittivatus_29aug07_800l_20.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 115
  • helophilus_trittivatus_29aug07_800p_20.jpg
    helophilus_trittivatus_29aug07_800p_20.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 97
  • helophilus_trittivatus_detail_29aug07_800l_20.jpg
    helophilus_trittivatus_detail_29aug07_800l_20.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 111
Can someone help with this one please? I'm not sure if its...

Helophilus pendulus
or
Helophilus trivittatus

Thank you.

Attachments

• ID-DSC_5828.jpg
    ID-DSC_5828.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 101
Not trivittaus - note the black 'feet' on middle leg an the black stripe down the 'face'. Compare with my previous post.

I expect this is pendulus but to be sure it's not hybridus I'd like to see the hind leg.

Not trivittaus - note the black 'feet' on middle leg an the black stripe down the 'face'. Compare with my previous post.

I expect this is pendulus but to be sure it's not hybridus I'd like to see the hind leg.

Thank you Brian. I've attached the best shot I have of the hind legs...

Attachments

• ID-DSC_5801.jpg
    ID-DSC_5801.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 101
There was a hoverfly on hemp agrimony in our garden yesterday. It was only about 1cm long and I'm afraid the photo is rubbish. But is there enough there to make an ID?
Ken

Hi Ken, as it seems no one else has had a go with this one [unless I missed it somewhere!] to me this looks like a female Sphaerophoria scripta.
Cheers,
Steve.

Hi, I've just found this thread and had a very interesting read. They are so fascinating and I love photographing them. Here are my contributions. (I'm sorry I have no idea what species they are!)

Attachments

• 60030335.jpg
    60030335.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 66177245.jpg
    66177245.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 64612507.jpg
    64612507.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 47244998.jpg
    47244998.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Hi all,

I was just browsing some old photos I'd taken and wondered if this was one of the migratory scaeva species of hoverfly. It was taken on Aug. 26th 05 in my garden in W.Yorks. This was the only shot and I've no idea of size. Thanks.

Charly.

Attachments

• Scaeva sp.jpg
    Scaeva sp.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 112

Users who are viewing this thread

Back