• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

who will get the birdbox ? (1 Viewer)

vicky@glos

I have two bird boxes. One suitable hole for great tits. And the other hole is smaller suitable for blue-tits. But I nave a problem on my hands. Both blue-tit and great-tit are checking out the box with the smaller hole.

I wonder who with end up in which bird box ?

The saga contines.

Vicky@glos

Hey Vicky, I am always pleased when any of them use the boxes. Wouldn't it be great if you had one of each in the boxes. We haven't done so yet.

What would you call the young from a mix sex of parentage ?

Great blue tit is my first guess.
or a
Blue Great tit ?

Any other suggestions ?

Vicky@glos

To everyone -
How is the birdboxes and bird nest pockets doing ?

I have for the last two days had the bluetits checking out the right size hole birdbox for them but them I watched the great tit come alone and trying to chase them away.

Wonder how much a bidbox costs on the property market today ? lol

Vicky@glos
I shall keep watching.

Last winter we had a Great Tit roosting in the nest box every night,then during the day we were getting Blue Tits visiting and cleaning the droppings that G.T. had left behind. Once G.T. stopped staying the day after the Blue Tits started nest preparation (they must have been watching his movements ).
We now have 2 boxes up and 4 roosting pockets.

Another thrilling instalment of the bird-box wars in Vicky's garden.

The birdbox saga continues......

At last..........Finally this morning 8.05am I have just seen a great-tit check out the right box for them.

Does this mean I will have blue-tit and great-tits this year ?

Does this mean no more fighting over the box with the smaller hole ?

Let the nest building commence.
And let's get on with raising as many broods as possible. The great tits last year only managed one brood.

the story continues..................

vicky@glos

Good luck with the nest boxes!

I have had a pair of Blue Tits checking out the nest box for some weeks now. Any Great Tits visiting the garden are soon seen off!

Also have a resident Robin, pair of Blackbirds and, as I type, a pair of Magpies are attempting to build a nest in the Cherry tree. (Not sure if that's good news for the smaller birds!)

Nest boxes

Ooer - not sure if I'm doing this right! Anyway...

Having lovingly fashioned an MDF nestbox last year to exacting dimensions, positioned it such that I could watch through the window, glass of red in hand, whatever grateful residents decided to raise a family in it, I was somewhat disappointed to find it only being used as an outside lav by some passing small brown jobs (pardon the pun).

As an enticement to breed I have trained my Japanese Akita to moult on demand and have left little clumps of warm woolly fur around as nesting material.

Apart from catching some blue tits in a butterfly net and inarcerating them in this beautiful home, or at least threatening to give it away to any old ornithic asylum seekers if they themselves don't want it, are there any other measures I can take to persuade Mr & Mrs Cheep to do the right thing and not render my careful carpentry a complete waste of time?

Or is it just a waiting game?

Lez

Poor Lez, in spite of all your troubles, no birds taking the hint.
You wait........give them time, if not this year, surely next year someone will find your des res.

Lez, if you mean by MDF, multiple density fiberboard, the fumes from the glue holding it together would not be appealing or good for the birds. Untreated Oak, pine or cedar would be best.

Watching Blue Tits and Great Tits looking at new homes this time of year is great fun, something i always look forward too......is gazumping a thing that goes on with birds and nestboxes each spring.........

Thanks for the advice SarahC. Don't worry, I sealed the MDF with a safe, non-toxic varnish and tested it on the budgie ;-) I'm as sure as I can be it's a fume-free zone.

I thought I saw the great tit today on the birdbox at the bottom of the garden but it was raining so I don't think it;s the best time for them at present to start nest building.

IanF - I got one of those nest pockets and have placed it at the end of my row of connifers. Looking forward to seeing if it gets used by either the coldtits or the wren. Tied it to the branch with string just to stop it if been blown away by the wind.

P.S. ColinJ - the holes on the birdboxes are not big enough for the squirrels in my garden but at work I have seen one squirrel take over a bird box which was the open front type. It just wanted somewhere to sleep.

In afew weeks I will try to do a survey for the bird boxes at work and post the details here. Just hope I can remember where they all are.

Vicky@glos

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back