• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Returns back on two more ringed Black-headed Gulls observed at Upton Warren:

Black ring with white 2BFF, noted at the Flashes on the 16th July 2019, was ringed at Marsh Lane NR on 18th June 2016. It was also recorded at RSPB Conwy in North Wales on the 10th August 2018.

Black ring with white 2AJT, noted at the Flashes on the 10th July 2019, was ringed at Marsh Lane NR on the 7th June 2016. There have been no other sightings of this bird.

Last edited:
Two great white egrets at the Moors today. Also great sighting of a kingfisher!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 38
From the reserve yesterday evening Tim reported:

MOORS POOL
Little Egret, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Green Sandpiper, 25 Lapwings, 2 Mute Swans, Buzzard calling, 4 Common terns +3 chicks

FLASHES
45 Avocets, 8 Black-tailed Godwit, 6 Green Sandpiper, 3 Common Sandpiper, 6 Little Ringed Plover, juvenile Curlew spooked and flew south, 18 Lapwing, Snipe

Ten species of wader isn't too shabby for mid July.

Last edited:
From the Moors Pool this morning Andy P reports:

No sign of the Great White Egrets, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Oystercatcher, 2 Common Tern plus 3 fledged juveniles, 1 Gadwall plus 6 chicks, Tufted Duck brood with 8 chicks.

There when I arrived at 10.30 and when I left at 12.

Interestingly BirdGuides reports the GWEs still present "mid afternoon". The Fens Pool birds were present 1pm to 1:45pm so either (1) it's a different pair of birds (2) they left UW, went to Fens Pool and then returned to Upton, or (3) BirdGuides have got their timings wrong

Some welcome and interesting proposals to rejuvenate the Hen Pool and Hen Brook at the Flashes are contained in the Trust's latest magazine. Being a small reserve we need to extract value and interest out of every square metre

From the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

53+ Avocet (including juveniles and non-fledged birds, now probably only 2), 2 Black-tailed Godwit, Dunlin, Curlew, 7 Little Ringed Plover (including 3 juveniles), 7 Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Oystercatcher, Snipe, Shelduck (+ 4 juveniles), 6 Teal, 8+ Shoveler, Common Tern

there was no sign of the GWE when I turned up at 16.30 yesterday .
As for the Hen Brook if the a new hide was raised you may be able to look over the whole area with a level raised bridge straight off the boardwalk so easy access the whole year round .
pics from yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_8375 (2).JPG
    IMG_8375 (2).JPG
    540.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8377 (2).JPG
    IMG_8377 (2).JPG
    404 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8378.JPG
    IMG_8378.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 59
there was no sign of the GWE when I turned up at 16.30 yesterday .
As for the Hen Brook if the a new hide was raised you may be able to look over the whole area with a level raised bridge straight off the boardwalk so easy access the whole year round .
pics from yesterday.

The previous discussions John, Mike and I have had on the sighting of a new hide always come back to (a) increasing the height of its location and (b) angling it further eastwards to also look up the Interesting wet areas towards the "triangle" north of the first flash

The previous discussions John, Mike and I have had on the sighting of a new hide always come back to (a) increasing the height of its location and (b) angling it further eastwards to also look up the Interesting wet areas towards the "triangle" north of the first flash

We need to cut in front of the hide ...but with my injured shoulders I cannot do much at the moment...the Tuesday Crew have been pretty busy recently. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we could do some brush cutting..:t:

From the Moors Pool early morning Andy A reports:

Green Sandpiper, 7 Common Tern (4 adults + 3 juveniles), 88 Mallard, 2 GC Grebe. Tufted duckling taken by a Grey Heron

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back