• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridge students opposed to Canada geese cull (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ings-college-students-canada-geese-cull-plans

What exactly are the "lots of diseases that can be spread through their [Canada geese] excrement which can be quite nasty to humans"?

Edit: found this paper from 2001 which had inconclusive results re. health risk to humans. It seems the area of highest risk is if faeces get into water supply. I found another site which was full of content about potential dangers, but as this was a website with an interest in animal population control I thought their commentary may be biased and could exaggerate risks.

Last edited:
From the article:

“They eat a huge amount of grass,” said Isaac of the geese, adding that the birds pass excrement various times an hour. “It’s the lower-paid staff who are clearing it. Students aren’t clearing it [...]."
That's the point right there. Obviously the students don't see the problem, because they don't have to clear up the mess. Or foot the bill. As is the case with so many of their political causes.

But how much do the geese save the college in lawnmowing costs, then?
Well, they aren't necessarily saying all geese would be culled, are they? Plus, Canada Geese are an invasive species. A relic of imperialism, if you will. I bet that if the students were presented with this angle, they would agree to the cull.

Well, they aren't necessarily saying all geese would be culled, are they? Plus, Canada Geese are an invasive species. A relic of imperialism, if you will. I bet that if the students were presented with this angle, they would agree to the cull.

''Lower-paid staff" do most of the dirty work everywhere and of all kinds--not just goose droppings cleanup on college greens. Getting rid of the geese just means less work for these people and maybe a layoff or 2.

Relict of imperialism?? You mean like tea drinking and gin & tonics? ;)

Last edited:
“You can purchase what are known as decoys, a cardboard cutout of a wolf or something,” Isaac said. “We chose not to because we didn’t want people taking photos of our cardboard cutouts, and to become the butt of everyone’s humour.”

So they prefer to kill the birds. Idiots.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back