• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple of questions on Stubs (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Okay, along with resizing images in place on the page and adding the template i.e. identification, distribution, taxonomy, etc. which is missing, I've been adding the {{stub}} tag on any entry that is missing the template information

However, I am finding pages with all the info but no photos (haven't ventured into uploading photo yet). My question is. As there is a category for missing images at the bottom of the edit page, is there a need for a stub tag on the top of the edit page when all the information is there sans photo?

Next question. I'm noticing that the stub is being removed even for the smallest of additions to a page i.e. Identification is filled out and everything else left blank. Should the stub not stay in place until the template info is filled out completely?

Very good points KC - I've noticed that people seem to be working to different criteria.

I've been leaving 'stub' in place unless the entry is totally complete - photo and text. If just photo and template are added then I only remove 'missing images' and if only the template is added I don't remove any of the tags.

It's worth having a go at the adding of photos, it's dead easy once you'e done a couple - though the guidance on how to do it could have been better written.

I think we will lose track of incomplete entries if 'stub' is removed prior to the entry being complete.

Okay, thanks Ian. I'll continue to keep stubs in place until everything has been added.

LOL. I think I need a grammar school primer on photo additions. ;)

I'm not saying I'm right, it's just what I've been doing,. I don't think there's been any guidnace on this. I was hoping that Admin may chip in on this.

Okay, thanks Ian. I'll continue to keep stubs in place until everything has been added.

LOL. I think I need a grammar school primer on photo additions. ;)

Hi KC,

After a hesitant start, I now have an easy way to upload images from the Gallery. Just let me know when you're ready and I'll give you some instructions.

I remove the stub title once there is text. However, even if only one or two sections are completed, I still remove the stub title.

I didn't think it applied to entries with text but without a photo.

Would be good if Andy/Steve could clarify?

If one looks at a page that currently is a stub, it says :
"This page is currently listed as a 'Stub'.
If you can add something to this page please do so by editing it. (Don't forget to remove the {{stub}} tag if you do!)
Find out more about stubs."

I interpret that as saying "delete the tag if you add anything at all", not "delete the tag if the description is complete". At one time I mentioned the possibility of having a tag for incomplete posts, that could be another possibility. If my interpretation of the text shown on a page with the Stub-tag is wrong, then I would appreciate a clarification.

cheers
Niels

Hi Niels

I think that is what we are trying to sort out. I would love to see the definition of Stub changed to reflect that it shouldn't be removed until the photo and each category of the template is filled in.

I would vote for removing the Stub-tag at the latest when all text is complete; if the only thing missing is a photo, then the (category|missing photo) should take care of identifying those entries.

Cheers
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back