• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 birds Mallorca (s'Albufera) (1 Viewer)

carsten.jansen

Last week I took pictures of 2 birds that I can't indentify.

The first 3 pictures are maybe a Common Swift or a Pallid Swift - I'm not sure.

The next pics are maye a female House Sparrow.

Thanks for help.

regards

Carsten

Attachments

• Segler_1.jpg
    Segler_1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Segler_2.jpg
    Segler_2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Segler_3.jpg
    Segler_3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Unbekannt_1.jpg
    Unbekannt_1.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 241
  • Unbekannt_4.jpg
    Unbekannt_4.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 199
Carsten Hi,

I think we need a wee bit more visual information....than is being currently shown in your supplied images.

cheers

The trouble with House Sparrows in Spain is that they seem to get everywhere - I've seen lots of them in the reedbeds at El Hondo reserve near Alicante well away from houses!

I don't think there's enough detail in the reed photo to be sure of anything beyond "it's some sort of LBJ" :flyaway:

Mark Etheridge;2202919 I don't think there's enough detail in the reed photo to be sure of anything beyond "it's some sort of LBJ" :flyaway:[/QUOTE said:
I think the LBJ looks just right for a Zitting Cisticola - and the fact that its in Sharp-pointed Rush Juncus acutus helps, as they love them.

The swift does actually seem like a Pallid - but no way I'm going to stake a claim!

The bird in the reeds is a Zitting Cisticola (Fan-tailed Warbler for the old-fashioned).

Steve

Can you point out the salient features because I can't see it!...apart from what might appear to be a subtle pink buff wash on the breast sides (lighting?), and perhaps a bill that might be considered to big for an invertebrate hunter?

Hi Ken. Not an easy task, that. I'll try: first of all the habitat. It's the bird you're most likely to see in a clump of rushes in Mallorca. SO we start with a good pointer. Then, although size is hard to judge, this is obviously a small bird, with very little detail visible. Nevertheless the plumage tones correspond in all areas to the plumage of a Zitting Cisticola, although perhaps the underparts look paler than depicted in most guidebooks (don't forget Mediterranean light), and the throat is slightly paler than the breast. The bill looks small and pinkish, again allowing for the light that is all OK.
I'm not a great gambler, but I would have very few reservations about betting at least 50 pence sterling that this bird is a Zitting Cisticola.

Steve

I'm not a great gambler, but I would have very few reservations about betting at least 50 pence sterling that this bird is a Zitting Cisticola.

As a serial mis-identifier of ZC's, I'll cover your 50p Steve and raise you 2p that it's something else...;)

(See my posting history on ZC's which are my bogey ID birds in Spain) :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back