• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which species is this? (1 Viewer)

Doesn't look right for a tyrant fly to me. Looks more like a wren -- a house wren was the first thing that popped into my mind. Tail looks a little long for that species, although I've seen HOWRs with their tail uncocked and it's surprising how different they look that way. I don't know if House Wrens/similar species occur in Bolivia, though.

I may be hugely off base, of course. Be interested to know what it is.

Looks like a spinetail to me, not sure what the candidate species are for the area. Doesn't look good for House Wren to me, plumage- or structure-wise.

It's a furnarid (ovenbird). I'd guess a canastero species, but that's as far as I can go because I have no guide covering that area.

Jim

[Edit: crossposting with, ironically, Ovenbird43]

Last edited:
If this is of any help, Sajama National Park is on the Bolivian/north Chilean border, and is adjacent to Chile's Lauca National Park. So Jaramillo guide Birds of Chile might be useful. Of the six castanero species in that book, Cordilleran Castanero is the only one with an altitude range encompassing 4300 meters.

If this is of any help, Sajama National Park is on the Bolivian/north Chilean border, and is adjacent to Chile's Lauca National Park. So Jaramillo guide Birds of Chile might be useful. Of the six castanero species in that book, Cordilleran Castanero is the only one with an altitude range encompassing 4300 meters.

Thanks for your very useful input! It's looks very much like Asthenes modesta!

I am late to the thread (it is not a demand, but mention of the location in the thread title would be helpful). My immediate impression was also Canastero/Spinetail.

Niels

I agree with Microtus, based on the bird in the background on the bottom of the second image, the dark brown of the central rectrixes and "short feel" of the tail for a Canastero I'd say it's a Cordilleran Canastero.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back