• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 birds, South Africa (1 Viewer)

Robin Jack

is the sunbird a southern double collared? the plumage is so purple/blue that i have doubts (photo taken in west coast national park)

for the other one i know it's impossible to identificate, but i was wandering if it's a species of cisticola (maybe a cloud cisticola) and not a kind of wren.
very short tail and the small dark/black bill made me think about it.
i post also the original photo so you can see where i found it: near GRASKOP, roadside with bushes, shrubs and small trees

both photos were taken in september 2012

thank you
Giacomo

Last edited:
sorry, here's the photos, i've deleted them before

Attachments

• boh5.jpg
    boh5.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 64
  • boh6.jpg
    boh6.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 49
  • dachiederenettar.jpg
    dachiederenettar.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 51
I think it's probably a Southern Double-collared, but it's hard to tell from this angle. I think your other bird might be a Karoo Prinia.

I think it's probably a Southern Double-collared, but it's hard to tell from this angle. I think your other bird might be a Karoo Prinia.

thank you, i know it's difficult, and i believe is the only one sunbird in that area like that

i've got many photos of karoo prinia, and one in that position that i attach below... karoo prinia has a very long tail, this one does not... in plus, i know it's a bad pic, but i can't see the heavy streaked underparts...
now that i've searched for the umpteenth time in the guide, could it be a Tawny flanked prinia?
i've found some photos

http://www.planetscott.com/img/6014/large/tawny-flanked-prinia-(prinia-subflava).jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TPSTGENRk...xTALX7E/s640/1012.Tawny-flanked+Prinia+RS.jpg

Attachments

• kprinia.jpg
    kprinia.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 32
Tawny-flanked not on west coast.
As Will says, it's a Karoo, prob a young bird which would explain unders and the tail that looks like its growing in

I would say your best bet on the little LBJ is a Twany flanked prinia, usually always in groups of 2 -4 individuals.

The Sunbird is hard to say from that angle. WCNP could be SDCS... but very tough call.

I would say your best bet on the little LBJ is a Twany flanked prinia, usually always in groups of 2 -4 individuals.

The Sunbird is hard to say from that angle. WCNP could be SDCS... but very tough call.

thank you very much, considering both photos and memories I agree with you
and correct me if i'm wrong, but basing on SASOL's maps, the only sunbird in WCNP with green/blue back and white belly is SDCS

thank you everyone for helping me with difficult calls!
i'll post the last one tomorrow!

bye

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back