• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Domestic Mallard or Mallard x Muscovy hybrid? (1 Viewer)

Zheljko

These three ducks are continuing birds at one of our city hotspots. I never saw them this close and always assumed that they are just three domestic mallards. However, in this close-up picture the middle white bird shows unusual bill color and head shape is different than in the right-hand white bird (which is certainly pure domestic mallard). Is it possible that the middle bird is Mallard x Muscovy hybrid?
The wild-colored bird is one of these extra-large domestic mallards, the white birds are somewhat smaller. The trio is always together.

Attachments

• tri patke sa Savskog keja by Smiljana Pomorisac.jpg
    tri patke sa Savskog keja by Smiljana Pomorisac.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 83
Thank you! It is a relief as I already reported all three birds as domestic mallards in several Big Day-type censuses. They tend to swim farther away from the bank so I never saw them this clear.

Update: the next time I visited the area I made more pictures of these ducks and the blue-beaked duck has curved uppertail feathers characteristic of male mallard :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back