• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

News from Leica (1 Viewer)

I wonder how much the fancy (reinvent the wheel) Leica diopter setter actually adds to the binocular cost in all the fine components and assembly I imagine is needed?

What does it really add to your viewing?

I never ever have thought oh I wish all my bins would have some sort of fancy diopter setter.

The simple no clicks, no lock stiction job around the right eyepiece is absolutely fine ........
........ so I think this will be a good thing from Leica but I have a feeling they are bound to hobble the optics, we just have to find out how yet. What will be the weak points?

Clive, I don't think it will be a straight transplant of the UV's optics, ie no FL glass. I think it will have ED glass (HD is just a meaningless marketing term used to cash in on the real improvements in the electronic display arena, particularly TV screens, and now mobile phone screens too), but then again so do $200 -$400 chin-bins! The Fov and ER seems to be just shuffling of the previous design, as Peatmoss mentioned earlier, or indeed identical to the previous version given the vagaries of internet specs! So the existing optical design, and I would think possibly ED glass, and a corresponding re-tuning of the optical coating indexing system (less layers than the UVHD+, hence cheaper) which along with the glass types should provide enough of a reduction in brightness and transmission range to differentiate it below the UVHD+. In other words, more of the same in a new lower cost to produce body. Viva la' glacial evoluc'ion! In fact it will be interesting to see if there is any detectable difference to the view between old and new ...... :cat: The stainless steel centre hinge shaft, the simplified dioptre mechanism, and sensible MFD are all worthwhile cost reduction measures compared to the UVHD+ too.

Here is a prelim:
http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/blog/new-leica-trinovid-8x42-and-10x42-binoculars-01/

Chosun :gh:

Clive, I don't think it will be a straight transplant of the UV's optics, ie no FL glass. I think it will have ED glass (HD is just a meaningless marketing term used to cash in on the real improvements in the electronic display arena, particularly TV screens, and now mobile phone screens too), but then again so do $200 -$400 chin-bins! The Fov and ER seems to be just shuffling of the previous design, as Peatmoss mentioned earlier, or indeed identical to the previous version given the vagaries of internet specs! So the existing optical design, and I would think possibly ED glass, and a corresponding re-tuning of the optical coating indexing system (less layers than the UVHD+, hence cheaper) which along with the glass types should provide enough of a reduction in brightness and transmission range to differentiate it below the UVHD+. In other words, more of the same in a new lower cost to produce body. Viva la' glacial evoluc'ion! In fact it will be interesting to see if there is any detectable difference to the view between old and new ...... :cat: The stainless steel centre hinge shaft, the simplified dioptre mechanism, and sensible MFD are all worthwhile cost reduction measures compared to the UVHD+ too.

Here is a prelim:
http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/blog/new-leica-trinovid-8x42-and-10x42-binoculars-01/

Chosun :gh:

That link is actually an article about the previous Trinovid.
The specs and photo in the article are of the discontinued version.

The new Trinovid does have some improved specs in areas except
FOV.

ER is better : 17mm vs 15.5
Weight is lower: 25.75 vs almost 29oz
Close focus: 6ft vs 11ft

Here is the new one. EO lists the fov incorrectly but everything
else matches Leica's site:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/leica/leica-8x42-trinovid-hd-binocular

I agree it won't be a big improvement in image over the previous
version, but the cost is down and specs are a bit better.

Last edited:
These Leica 42mm binoculars are right in the price range to compete with Swarovski's 30mm CL Companions. They have the same FOV, more or less, but longer ER and bigger and more friendly exit pupils. They also cost about $500.00 less than Nikon's Premier line. And they are about the same price and and are lighter in weight than the Zeiss Conquests but have slightly smaller FOVs and shorter ER.

Bob

Last edited:
My only bin with HD in the title and on the focus wheel is the RSPB 8x20 HD I bought last week and glad to say that this one can actually walk the walk as I would definitely describe the resolution as HD so I hope the Leica will also deliver. It doesn't concentrate so much on colour though being not as vibrant as the ED labelled bins I have but this may just be down to the small objectives and it being designed more towards clarity and definition?

Whatever, my only HD does have some optical fairy dustic included but I like to have the more intense colour of my other bins also. I had a Sapphire 8x25 ED and it was superb for colour but the brightness and definition of the RSPB HD weren't there.

So this Leica may be a bright, high def, lower colour vibrancy model with good CA control (which seems easier to obtain with less colour producing bins).

In other words, probably very good and perhaps just lacking a very little transmission and colour vibrancy compared to the Ultravids.

These Leica 42mm binoculars are right in the price range to compete with Swarovski's 30mm CL Companions. They have the same FOV, more or less, but longer ER and bigger and more friendly exit pupils. They also cost about $500.00 less than Nikon's Premier line. And they are about the same price and and are lighter in weight than the Zeiss Conquests but have slightly smaller FOVs and shorter ER.

Bob

I think I saw on a link to a German review site (that now links to a dealer ad) that the new Trinovid would have a ten year warranty. A competitive 42mm Swarovski would probably cost a few hundred more in order to pay for the "free" transferable warranty (don't call it a non-negotiable extended warranty). With the Zeiss Conquests and new Trinovids on the market, the 30mm CL and 42mm Premier lines may be due for some markdowns.

I think I saw on a link to a German review site (that now links to a dealer ad) that the new Trinovid would have a ten year warranty. A competitive 42mm Swarovski would probably cost a few hundred more in order to pay for the "free" transferable warranty

Don't mistake warranty conditions in the EU with those outside the EU.

So according to him the Trinovid that you sold off GG, the one with all the CA, had the same optics as the Ultravid but now they are not as good in this new Trinovid.

He seemed more interested in the strap.

Yes, according to him.

I get it. You didn't like the old Trinovid and won't like the new one.
You have a nice bino in your Kowa SV...stick with that. Why bother reading reviews of a bino you know you won't like.

Yes, according to him.

I get it. You didn't like the old Trinovid and won't like the new one.
You have a nice bino in your Kowa SV...stick with that. Why bother reading reviews of a bino you know you won't like.

Calm down. I never tried the old trinovid or don't believe I ever indicated that I didn't like it.

I read threads to learn about various bins. I'm sure many do. I thought that was the purpose of the forum?

You are maybe not getting it.

Calm down. I never tried the old trinovid or don't believe I ever indicated that I didn't like it.

I read threads to learn about various bins. I'm sure many do. I thought that was the purpose of the forum?

You are maybe not getting it.

I may not be getting it. I didn't see an open mind based on some of your previous posts. You made it clear you didn't like the old model and said you don't think they'll even try on the new one, so my thinking is that you're searching for bad info...hoping for it. The guy's review actually wasn't that bad, but not glowing either. Also, I sensed slight hostility in your last post directed towards me and it felt a bit trolling. Maybe I'm wrong, but that was my initial impression reading it.

I may not be getting it. I didn't see an open mind based on some of your previous posts. You made it clear you didn't like the old model and said you don't think they'll even try on the new one, so my thinking is that you're searching for bad info...hoping for it. The guy's review actually wasn't that bad, but not glowing either. Also, I sensed slight hostility in your last post directed towards me and it felt a bit trolling. Maybe I'm wrong, but that was my initial impression reading it.

I have no idea what you are going on about.

I merely commented on what I read. Absolutely no intention to be offensive so you've got it wrong if that is what you think.

I never tried the old trinovid or don't believe I ever indicated that I didn't like it.

Whoa ! I just caught this. You never tried the old Trinovid ???
Yet you've mentioned your Kowa SV beats it in CA control? How
would you know ? I mentioned to you in an older post I felt CA was controlled well on axis in the old model (but not in the edges) ... Here I thought we were comparing notes in a bin we both tried. Why keep mentioning 'all that CA' if you've never even looked through the bin?

Clive,
I just looked back at your post #79 and re-read it.
Originally I got the impression based on that post that you tried the
old Trinovid. To me it reads that way. You didn't think the new model
would be too good...something about a dry Squibb whatever that means.
Maybe I interpreted incorrectly. But, I had the impression you had some experience with
the old model. I may not be getting it as you say, so I'll stop posting about this and sorry for
being argumentative.

Whoa ! I just caught this. You never tried the old Trinovid ???
Yet you've mentioned your Kowa SV beats it in CA control? How
would you know ? I mentioned to you in an older post I felt CA was controlled well on axis in the old model (but not in the edges) ... Here I thought we were comparing notes in a bin we both tried. Why keep mentioning 'all that CA' if you've never even looked through the bin?

Still not making much sense.

Where did you get the idea that I had tried a Trinovid? I would have said so if I ever had. I did own an Ultravid and yes it had CA.

You said the your Trinovid had CA, my Kowa does not so obviously the Kowa would be better in that regard.

Really I think you should try and calm down. This isn't getting anywhere. I never tried to insult you but if you insist on taking it that way that is soley up to you.

I only commented on what the guy said in the review and what you had said previously about your Trinovid as that is all I have to go on.

It seems that you don't want anyone to comment unless they only say that the Trinovid seems to be the best thing ever. Not very open minded.

You posted the review I assume to get peoples thoughts on it and those were mine. Maybe the new Trinovid handles CA better? From the review it doesn't seem that interesting a bin but it's just one review.

Clive,
I just looked back at your post #79 and re-read it.
Originally I got the impression based on that post that you tried the
old Trinovid. To me it reads that way. You didn't think the new model
would be too good...something about a dry Squibb whatever that means.
Maybe I interpreted incorrectly. But, I had the impression you had some experience with
the old model. I may not be getting it as you say, so I'll stop posting about this and sorry for
being argumentative.

I know you are interested in that bin and I do hope it turns out to be a good one for you. Think the posts overlapped we're getting on so well ;)

Still not making much sense.

Where did you get the idea that I had tried a Trinovid? I would have said so if I ever had. I did own an Ultravid and yes it had CA.

You said the your Trinovid had CA, my Kowa does not so obviously the Kowa would be better in that regard.

Your mentioning CA in the Trinovid is where I thought you had experience with the model and finding it yourself. Had no idea you were basing this off of my exoerience with the bin.
CA perception can be subjective where some people see it and some don't.

If you haven't tried the old Trinovid I don't see how you can make a determination that your current bin is better with CA...if you haven't compared the two for yourself. Maybe it is better, but to be so sure without any first hand knowledge...

You're right it's not going anywhere and for my part in the argument I apologize. I should have read things a bit more carefully reacted with more civility.

I know you are interested in that bin and I do hope it turns out to be a good one for you. Think the posts overlapped we're getting on so well ;)

Thanks you're right about the overlapping. Also, I'm tired and didn't sleep well last night and don't feel well.

I already purchased the UV+ 7x42 and will report on it in Torview's thread. So I
won't be getting the Trinovid.

thanks for the link, :t:
unfortunately a bit confusing "review",

First he writes:

"Overall impression of the binoculars is very positive. The resolution is excellent, even in low-light or otherwise challenging situations, and comparable to the Ultravids the vast majority of the time."

But...

"If you’re looking for something like Leica’s last iteration of Trinovids, you might be disappointed. These Trinovids are an entirely different binocular from the ground up. The last Trinovids were essentially the same glass used in Leica’s premier Ultravid models in a less expensive wrapper. They also retailed at about 50% more than these new bins. "

Don't think that is an accurate description.
And yes, the Trinovid HD:s actually are the latest iteration....of the Trinovids...otherwise they would be called something else...I guess..
;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back