• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5000 - first impressions (1 Viewer)

Hi John,

Thanks for a great thread and great shots that helped me decide on the P5000. I just got mine today, and I find that it makes a faint – but noticeable - sound like a laptop cooler or something like that. Do you experience the same with yours or do I have an issue with my dealer?

Christian

cbs said:
Hi John,

Thanks for a great thread and great shots that helped me decide on the P5000. I just got mine today, and I find that it makes a faint – but noticeable - sound like a laptop cooler or something like that. Do you experience the same with yours or do I have an issue with my dealer?

Christian

Christian

I don't think there is a problem, mine makes that faint noise too, could it be the VR or the Autofocus drive ?
Have fun and post some pictures soon.

Malc

Hi Malc,

I tried to disable both. But that didn't help. If I turn the camera on i 'Setup'-mode the sound is gone. It isn't until the lens is opened the sound appears.

Christian

cbs said:
Hi Malc,

I tried to disable both. But that didn't help. If I turn the camera on i 'Setup'-mode the sound is gone. It isn't until the lens is opened the sound appears.

Christian

Mine makes a faint noise too, I think its the focusing motors.

Regards Dougie

Would be interesting to see some direct out of the camera shots of the P5000, without any photoshop enhancing, resizing etc. Maybe at different ISO Levels.

I have got enough webspace, so if someone would send me some original files I could upload them at my web and post the links here.

E-Mail : rossen.gerd 'at' naturfotografie-digital.de

I'm very interested in this camera, too. At the moment I work with the Coolpix 5000 in combination with Swarovski ST 80 HD and Canon DSLR + 400mm and teleconverters.

All the best Gerd

Very good picture John-henry. That camera seam to be in the same league as the venerable 4500 regarding image quality. For the P serie, I do some very good shot using the P1, generaly by stoping down the aperture and don't using too much the zoom.

What are my options when it comes to adapters for the P5000 when used with a Kowa TSN-821 32xW?
I've been on my first digiscoping trip today - great fun, but less than impressive pictures due to handheld shots.
I wonder if the Kowa TSN-DA1 adapter with an adapter ring (28mm?) is my only option.

Christian

cbs said:
What are my options when it comes to adapters for the P5000 when used with a Kowa TSN-821 32xW?
I've been on my first digiscoping trip today - great fun, but less than impressive pictures due to handheld shots.
I wonder if the Kowa TSN-DA1 adapter with an adapter ring (28mm?) is my only option.

Christian
Just a couple of examples from today using P5000 the full size files obviously have better details

Dougie

Attachments

• Avocet.jpg
    Avocet.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Swan.jpg
    Swan.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 192
Dougie

Nice shots! When I compare your mute swan to the one I ‘shot’ today, I can see that I definitely need some way to connect my camera to the scope – handheld just doesn’t do it.

Christian

cbs said:

Christian

Christian, there is an adapter for the P5000 - UR-E20 - that screws into the base of the lens and has a 28mm female thread at the other end, you might be able to work away from here with a tube-type adapter, but, and I'm not sure on this, I tried the adapter today just holding it up to the scope eyepiece and it didn't allow the camera lens to come close enough to the eyepiece, it gave more vignetting than I get by having the lens set up at about 1mm away from the eyepiece when the camera is at full zoom.
One thing to remember is the camera zoom extends slightly more at full zoom than minimum zoom so you need to take this into account when setting it up.

Alternatives are the universal types and/or swing-out types, have a look through the digiscoping adapters forum an it might give you some ideas.

Regards

John

john-henry said:
Christian, there is an adapter for the P5000 - UR-E20 - that screws into the base of the lens and has a 28mm female thread at the other end, you might be able to work away from here with a tube-type adapter, but, and I'm not sure on this, I tried the adapter today just holding it up to the scope eyepiece and it didn't allow the camera lens to come close enough to the eyepiece, it gave more vignetting than I get by having the lens set up at about 1mm away from the eyepiece when the camera is at full zoom.
One thing to remember is the camera zoom extends slightly more at full zoom than minimum zoom so you need to take this into account when setting it up.

Alternatives are the universal types and/or swing-out types, have a look through the digiscoping adapters forum an it might give you some ideas.

Regards

John

John

Thanks for your answer. I'll look through the adapters forum and do a bit of experimenting.

Christian

I just had a look at a P5000 in the Nikon service center. It does have a 10 and 3 second Self-timer which wasn't clear on DPReview. The screen looks very good too , although I didn't take it out in the sun. I didn't like the look of the menu too much but then I'm used to buttons for changing settings on the 8400. Photos taken indoors looked good on the screen. Macro looks good and there is a "green zone" which may work well for digiscoping , although it's a bit short. No budget to buy one as getting my 8400 and 4500 repaired. Neil.

I hope not Jaff, the F30 is a great camera for low light situations and, I think, the P5000 will be a better camera for better weather, each has its own merits and playing one off against the other helps no-one.

Regards

John
I too am battling to decide between the F30 and the P5000.

I have read with interest and delight the whole thread to date. My dliemma is that I will be using the camera with an old non HD swarovski 80AT which cleraly doesnt let in as much light as the EDs and HDS. If you were to buy one now with my set up would you pump for the F30 with its better low light levels to help the non HD or the P5000 with all that you and others have said about it particularly its Image stablilsing.

All opinions much appreciated to hep my over this dilemma and replace my cp4500 soon.

My thoughts would be go for the F30, very cheap now, and I presume it won't be available for much longer. Not sure what adaptor you have if any, this may influence your choice?
Wait to hear what John H suggests, I am sure he will see your posting.

Malc

I too am battling to decide between the F30 and the P5000.

I have read with interest and delight the whole thread to date. My dliemma is that I will be using the camera with an old non HD swarovski 80AT which cleraly doesnt let in as much light as the EDs and HDS. If you were to buy one now with my set up would you pump for the F30 with its better low light levels to help the non HD or the P5000 with all that you and others have said about it particularly its Image stablilsing.

All opinions much appreciated to hep my over this dilemma and replace my cp4500 soon.

It's a really difficult choice, if you're used to the 4500 you'll take to the P5000 like a duck to water, especially with its great improvements on the screen, general layout, menus etc. I'm not sure the VR is a great help, it's difficult to know if it works well or not, I still get shakey shots at good shutter speeds so it's not a cure all. Image quality is great, it has a better dynamic range in good sunlight than the F30 (doesn't blow the highlights so quickly) and not so much in the way of chromatic aberrations, also I particularly like the colours it produces - much more natural looking than the F30. It does produce noise, unlike the F30, but nothing that can't be removed with software quite easily.
The F30 on the other hand is unbeatable for low light use, is much faster in focussing and shooting and as you know can be used at higher ISO's with good results.
If you lived where the conditions were dull more often than sunny, or you intend to hand-hold the camera, I'd say the F30 was the one to go for but if you want that little bit better quality go for the P5000.

I expect all this doesn't really help you in your choice, just give you more to think about, so the only realistic answer is to order one or the other via internet shopping and if you don't like it or want to try the other one send it back within 7 days and get a refund under your Distant Shopping Rights - (Amazon, and several others I've used, have refunded with no problem) - all it will cost you is the return postage, about £6 or £7.

Regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back