• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (2 Viewers)

superb! the computer-based witchcraft has produced a stunning piece. 20-30% decline, it's terrifying what's happening in east Asia.

Tremendous work Ed, Great Knots are a triumph in every way.

Golden Pheasants are superb too, what a great drawing, very unusual, very creative and it works really well. Top drawer stuff, look forward to the Stone Curlews progressing....

Hello all. I've enjoyed some very kind comments of late, which is very heartening. So thank-you all.

I had a stroke of good fortune today- I was judged to have a bad enough cold to be allowed to stay home and skip a childrens' opera at Snape. So I thought I would take a run at an image which has been in my head unpainted for simply yonks (its a Blackburnian on basalt from Nova Scotia). It hasn't really worked out and I don't think sandpapering it will help, but I think I hear Mr Black and Mr Decker's footsteps in the hallway. So I will ask them to give it a vigorous crop along the lines of the second image, leaving an off-cut where the rocks meet the sea for a few Harlequins maybe.

Attachments

• DSC_0022 copy copy.jpg
    DSC_0022 copy copy.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 64
  • masterhorizcropDSC_0002 copy copy.jpg
    masterhorizcropDSC_0002 copy copy.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 80
Agreed, I prefer the crop although the wider view has some really vibrant abstract qualities. It's a striking image either way.

Nice to get time off work, even if you have to get ill to get it! I wish you a speedy recovery and an extra couple of days 'just to be sure'. Grab a brandy...

Mike

Thirded - I was going to post a comment last night but I was 'tired' and couldn't articulate myself properly. Today I'm not tired, but am still afflicted with the same problem.
So I'll just say I like it.

Wow -- wow! Stunning piece! I think the crop has worked magnificently, the rocks really do dwarf the little warbler. I think this is my favourite Keeble!

Wow -- wow! Stunning piece! I think the crop has worked magnificently, the rocks really do dwarf the little warbler. I think this is my favourite Keeble!

Well that certainly makes it worth it. Mr Black and Mr Decker were insistent that the crop should be vertical and so 'tis done, as per the left hand image.

Attachments

• finishedmaster600DSC_0012 copy.jpg
    finishedmaster600DSC_0012 copy.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 61
  • close-up600DSC_0013 copy.jpg
    close-up600DSC_0013 copy.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 51
Hello all. I've been back into the shed for the first time for about a year- too much mucking about indoors with bristly brushes recently. There to greet me this dusty commission (Hobby) that I was doing with Keeble senior- put to one side whilst we worked out what was wrong with it. On reacquaintance it seemd like the crown was where the problem lay, so here's a revision - steel pegs whapped in and new crown planted on top in true dentistry style. Hopefully encouraging to someone looking at a not-quite-right work and wondering whether to go fix it.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 56
that's better - certainly encouraging me to go back to a work that's not quite right and to try and fix it - I've been at it all night! And to think that in some field guides garganey are the same shape as teals!

That sorts the forehead just nicely. All lines (even ones in 3-d) are affected by others in proximity. The chin area is the next to be assessed I think. This will have an influence on how the brow looks too. Very nice - is Mr K sen/ assisting still or have you been abandoned?

That sorts the forehead just nicely. All lines (even ones in 3-d) are affected by others in proximity. The chin area is the next to be assessed I think. This will have an influence on how the brow looks too. Very nice - is Mr K sen/ assisting still or have you been abandoned?

Mr K Sen left it with me, on the basis of a promise that I would make some feet for it and then paint it. Both he and the customer have long given up asking how I'm getting on with it.

Interesting that you mention the chin- it is such a hard thing to render, given that in true life the chin feathering is fluffy and doesn't really have a defined contour.

So the current plan is to give the chin quite a full convex shape (hopefully not quite like a swift carrying a food ball, but in that form) and then rely on the painting to break it up and fluffify it.

The alternative is to cop out and- even though the rest of the bird is relaxed and a bit puffed up- give it sleeked down compressed chin feathering with a concave profile. A difficult decision which will probably be made spontaneously, when I have got home and had a drink this evening.

So the current plan is to give the chin quite a full convex shape (hopefully not quite like a swift carrying a food ball, but in that form) and then rely on the painting to break it up and fluffify it.

. . . had a drink this evening.

I concur with both of these suggestions.

Hello all. Just back from three days on Mull by way of half-term jaunt with my son and friend- lots of eagles in boisterous weather but highlight was the boys calling a 9- pointer red deer stag out of the forest by roaring through a tube of wrapping paper bought from the village shop.

Here's an otter, colour mostly fingered instant coffee. Hopefuly a proper painting to come of one swimming through group of GN Divers which was alone worth the loooong drive.

Attachments

• 600DSC_0010 copy.jpg
    600DSC_0010 copy.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 72
Ed,
I must congratulate you on this one..... I love the idea of such a spontanious sketch, and even more so by the colouring using 'instant coffee'. I just wonder what you'd have produced if you had the full kit with you.?

Hello all. Here's another from Mull. Didn't turn out quite as I hoped from a painterly perspective, but for someone who loves divers and otters and doesn't get to see them very often, it captures a unique moment.

Meantimes the Hobby moves along- feet now made and then at last moment I decided to crack its knuckles and give it a rolled up 'n' resting foot. Still rasping and sanding at the body without (yet) scratching the eyes so hopefully I shall get away with doing it all in the wrong order. Rather looking forward to painting it with the benefit of learning from our little sub-forum- on previous occasions I would have been into the raw mars black paint pretty much from the get-go on a Hobby. But this time around, hopefully something subtler can be done and will save up the black until the end.

Attachments

• DSC_0015 copy 2 copy.jpg
    DSC_0015 copy 2 copy.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 600hobbyDSC_0015 copy.jpg
    600hobbyDSC_0015 copy.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 71
Brillaint Ed - both pieces, but the diver pic strikes a true-ringing chord with me. Just as you see them and a well observed range of plumages, to boot. Love this lots.

I reckon the diver pic is a huge success. The water has been handled in a way that's totally unafraid of using colour and it works fantastically well. A lesson for all of us in that one Ed.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back