• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (1 Viewer)

Ed - that's the best piece you've done. Ever. In fact, it's one of the best pieces of bird-art I've ever seen - totally fecking fantastic.

slowly starting to get through all the threads now - and a HUGE wow! Such wonderful hobbies (the shrike is effing brilliant but you've stolen your own show with these!) Do not touch it now whatever you do, the change in direction here requires none of the help from your former partner Black and Decker.

ui.....top :t::clap::clap:

that's been a very encouraging reaction to the Hobby pic- thank-you all

the birds in question are still about: still inseperable, spiralling around catching a late dragonfly hatch this morning

attached not a proper pic., but just to capture the excitement of watching a Pallid Harrier down the road into darkest Essex taking a big puff of feathers out of a woodpigeon - a real proper birding atmosphere, with wind blowing stench from the sewage farm, birders parked all over the road, bird hunting three feet off the ground and trying to catch flushed pigeons and partridges from underneath and a cheer from the crowd each time it nearly took one out

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_3490 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_3490 copy.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 75
Hobbies are, indeed, the finest example of your work I've experienced during my short time on BF. Sensational. The harrier/pidg composition is stonkingly good. To even attempt this desrves a medal, never mind the resulting painting!

Russ

hello all

a little break from Hobbies- they do seem finally to have headed south

I'm a bit torn currently between pressing on with the watery paintings or reverting to bristlies- this was meant to be a shot at a watery painting over a drawing, but soon went muddy and wrong, so I punished it with some more paint and a run through the computah

not easy, this watery..

but I should follow the examples on here and stick hard at the learning

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_3512 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_3512 copy.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 66
  • q9 750 DSC_3510 copy.jpg
    q9 750 DSC_3510 copy.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 55
compositionally you are giving yourself a hard way to go with that dark thick stick right in the center. Part of the art of painting is to make it possible for the eye to move comfortably and pleasurably around the work, the same way it can rove over the actual scene and focus here and there, Cues to eye movement are in set order by our hardwired brain, movement first, contrast next color is almost last. Since we have static paintings, movement is out, so contrast is the biggest cue for attention, the highest contrast gets the most attention...hope this explains why you might not want to put a big thick dark stick against a light background right in the middle...or maybe you can pull it off somehow.

...hope this explains why you might not want to put a big thick dark stick against a light background right in the middle...or maybe you can pull it off somehow.

This is an 'odd' composition. But sometimes that's just what you want, something odd that pushes you to a solution. So I'd be captivated by this if it were mine, just looking for the way to pull it off. The oddest thing to me, and maybe just what you intended, is that the woodpecker on the stick at first looks like another goose, though with a very stiff neck! But my guess is that there's a way to turn that into a successful and striking painting.

Superb Hobbies Ed. Just seen my first Pallid Harrier in Somerset, and watched it trying to take out the local Mipits. An awesome hunter, and that reportage piece does the bird justice!

drawing a veil over the canada geese..

I had slight guilty start recently when some Danish friends to whom I had a promised a Hobby carving with Keeble senior about 4 years ago said they would be over this autumn and looked forward to collecting it...

so blew the dust off the 2008 version posted waaaay up-thread and immediately on a fresh look I could see it needed a whole lot of meat slicing off its body

shocking really, what you cannot see for looking sometimes

so right hand version is de-lumped by saw, sanded and painted in quick time

Attachments

• 600hobbyDSC_0015%20copy.jpg
    600hobbyDSC_0015%20copy.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 67
  • q9 550 hobby carvingDSC_3536 copy.jpg
    q9 550 hobby carvingDSC_3536 copy.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 68
Feckin' marvellous!! - amazing what a wipe of the goggles will do, isn't it?
Oh, mate - don't forget that life-sized Sandhill Crane you promised me two years ago if ever one turned up in Sussex! I'll be down for it next weekend, ok? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back