• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malta and hunting policy (1 Viewer)

I'm drawn to this thread, but dread reading it, always hopeful of good news but never getting any, quite perverse really.

Is it bad to kill a wild bird but OK to kill a wild goat (and take triumphant photos of you and your prey)?
I just ask as I've been selling some kit and wouldn't be happy to know it was going to be used to find animals to shoot - and believe me, asking the question to a perspective buyer is well worth the effort. But then again most of our optical goodies are derived from stuff designed to help kill humans.

What's the problem. It will have to end fairly soon, probably just a few years from now. After all, nobody hunts Passenger Pigeons any more, now do they? </sarc>

And that's going to happen?, well done to Chris and his team for going back to Malta to highlight what's continuing to go on in that hell for birds.

BirdLife: ‘Worst year for illegal hunting’ as government gives in to hunting lobby

BirdLife says police has not deployed enough officers to patrol 10,600 hunters

With only nine months into 2020, BirdLife Malta has retrieved more illegally shot protected birds than the last eight years.

To add insult to injury, last January Prime Minister Robert Abela moved WBRU – which is run by hunters and trappers – under the Minister of Gozo Clint Camilleri; a well-known pro-hunter and trapper. Malta has never experienced a government so much in favour of hunting and trapping.”

https://www.maltatoday.com.mt/envir...nting_as_government_gives_in_to_hunting_lobby

I am going to Malta in August. I hope to see birds that I never had seen. What best places is to watch birds and how to get there, because I don't have driver license :/ is it a cheap way to travel in Malta by carpooling Carpooling, Malta transport, cheaper than taxi and cabs or with bus would be cheaper?

Hi Peter, unfortunately you are unlikely so see much in August since it would still be early for migration, especially before mid-August.

You can possibly see some waders and herons, while flocks of flamingos are usually also regular. Juvenile Audouin's gulls are also frequent in August. Local birders usually spend the month seawatching or looking for waders on the coast. Other highlights towards late August include large numbers of black terns offshore, as well as storm-petrels if you manage to get a boat offshore. Towards the end of the month signs of raptor migration would start, with the first black kites, marsh harriers, honey buzzards, montagu's harriers etc. as well as bee-eaters. I don't know whether you've been birding in the Mediterranean before. If not, resident birds which may be of interest to you include blue rock thrush, spectacled warbler.

Birding sites include Ghadira Nature Reserve and Salina Nature Reserve for waders (check Birdlife Malta website for opening hours), anywhere along the northern coast for seawatching (most birders go to the Qawra area), anywhere in the Dingli area for birds of prey (most birders go to Buskett area), etc....

With reference to transport, public transport (i.e. buses) is probably the easiest and cheapest option. In my experience the buses are fairly reliable, though they can get crowded in summer since August is peak tourism season.

Feel free to private message me for more information. The easiest way would be to provide a list of target species.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back