• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (3 Viewers)

nice photos of the Wheatear Dave.
last night, 3 large flocks of Jackdaws,canada geese flew over to westwood with a white goose in tow,tonight Water rail calling from two places in the reeds and Snipe flew out calling after dark,no sign of anything major here's hoping:t:

Last edited:
this evening
Buzzard,sparrowhark & kesteral seen about 10mins apart,Water rail calling from two postions west end and north side.only other thing of note was a Weasel (homework confirmed) spotted on canal towpath.

last three evenings

on average 1800hrs - 1915hrs
heron seen twice monday flew out of community woods over canal frighten me again I think its doing it for fun,Water rail calling every night, seen the noisey juv Buzzard looks a bit tatty,only other note very small bat littlest I ever seen long tow path flying just by main gate.
still no mr or mrs B

When I said female Wheatear I should have said 'female-type'. On closer inspection (the bird was quite confiding), it was clear that it was in fact a first-winter. A few record shots are attached (photographed through my binoculars).

Also today, the first flyover Redpoll of the autumn, Siskin, Meadow Pipits, Linnets, 2 Skylarks, Grey and Pied Wagtails, Raven, Linnets, Goldcrest, Mistle Thrushes, Starlings, Bullfinch and three Chiffchaffs plus most of the usual species. Still plenty of insects too - Hornets, Commas, Speckled Woods, Whites and Common Darters, for instance.
Dave what's the blue piping for are draining more land in worcestershire.

Dave what's the blue piping for are draining more land in worcestershire.

The water board seem to be upgrading the infrastructure around the villages of Salwarpe and Ladywood this year - digging up roads and burying pipes. I think these blue pipes are part of that scheme. The area where they are is already pretty well drained - being on top of a bank.

mon & tues

two different evenings 24 hours apart.
monday all very vocal robins ,blackbirds wrens,wagtail,water rail,mallards,crows and gulls but not much actually seen.untill grey heron flew over squawking
tuesday 2 foot mist over canal fields and coney,1300+ gulls flew over twards westwood mainly LBBG,mallards flying around,snipe flew out calling.pied wagtail came into roost
unable to go down today

take things easy Dave get well soon,my laptop has been playing up but have been going down to coney during the week,pied wags growing in numbers slowly to roost, alot of mallards flying around,heron still cropping up and juv buzzard giving magpies hasel,I think bittern is waiting for you to make an appearance;).
will take a walk down on tuesday to see what storm has done to the area.

How's it going Dave? Still on bed-rest?

I think my clips are coming out on thursday (metal staples - equivalent to the old stitches). After that it will be a case of getting fully mobile and getting my digestive system up to speed. I won't be able to drive for a further 5 weeks as I won't be fully insured afyer major abdominal surgery (compromises the ability to make an emergency stop):t:

I think my clips are coming out on thursday (metal staples - equivalent to the old stitches). After that it will be a case of getting fully mobile and getting my digestive system up to speed. I won't be able to drive for a further 5 weeks as I won't be fully insured afyer major abdominal surgery (compromises the ability to make an emergency stop):t:

Off the curries of a few weeks then Dave? :-C

before and after

latest info
canal tow path now rebuilt by salwarpe bridge.
canal tow path has now been mowed
shetland cattle now in place,please be careful were you stand8-P

as for birds
still hundreds of gulls going over to roost,mallards flying around,pied wags,water rail still calling,heron still hunting,cormorant flew up from salwarpe on sunday

Attachments

• one 001.jpg
    one 001.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 74
  • one 002.jpg
    one 002.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 62
  • one 003.jpg
    one 003.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 82
november

heres a start for Novembers count
pleasant morning but wind got up by evening time.
1 ..Blackbird...2..Mallard..3..Wren
4..Blue tit..5..C.Crow..6..Wood Pigeon
7..Chaffinch(f)..8..Goldfinch..9..Redwing(good numbers)
10..Robin..11..BHG..12..Cormrant
13..Magpie..14..Coot..15..LBBG(juv)
16..Reed Bunting..17..Kingfisher..18..Kesteral
19..Pied Wagtail..20..Long Tailed Tit..21..Meadow pipet
22..Buzzard..23..Raven..24..Jackdaw
25..Jay..26..Canada geese..27..Starling
28..Morhen..29..Heron

Attachments

• one 003.jpg
    one 003.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 78
  • one 004.jpg
    one 004.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 70
  • one 005.jpg
    one 005.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 74
16.15 to 17.00
wet and windy.birds heard.
Blackbird,Crow,Magpie,Water rail close to fence,Buzzard,Snipe.
birds seen
30 starling and 25 pied wags came into roost,2 fieldfare,mallards,

Attachments

• one 006.jpg
    one 006.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 52
  • one 007.jpg
    one 007.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 47
this evening 15.45 to 17.00
2 birds for november count,Fieldfare and green woodpecker,others of interest 3 buzzards 2 quite friendly sitting on the same telegraph pole,good numbers of jackdaws crows and thrushes,canadian geese flying over with gulls together,jays and magpies not to happy with a heron by coney gate,water rail calling from 2 places,kingfisher hunting on canal near A38 bridge (salwarpe river flowing very fast)

Attachments

• one 010.jpg
    one 010.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 55
  • one 011.jpg
    one 011.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 45
  • one 013.jpg
    one 013.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 47
  • one 016.jpg
    one 016.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 43
really nice day.we had every thing today..added to novembers count G S woody and Sparrowhark which tryed its luck during the roost,as for that what numbers usual 100s of gulls flying over, 200c pied wagtails,800+ starling in two big murmurations,but the best sighting of the day for Mary and myself was seeing Mr Walker taking it carefully around coney.Hopfully he will be adding to the nov count.

Attachments

• one 009.jpg
    one 009.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 43
  • one 010.jpg
    one 010.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 40
  • one 012.jpg
    one 012.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 49
really nice day.we had every thing today..added to novembers count G S woody and Sparrowhark which tryed its luck during the roost,as for that what numbers usual 100s of gulls flying over, 200c pied wagtails,800+ starling in two big murmurations,but the best sighting of the day for Mary and myself was seeing Mr Walker taking it carefully around coney.Hopfully he will be adding to the nov count.

The only things to add from yesterday's gentle walk-around are a flyover Yellowhammer (calling), several Reed Buntings, Jays, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Siskin, Goldcrests, Redwings and a few Mistle Thrushes.

Below are a few shots of the Shetland cattle - they seem to be doing a really good job of grazing the site.

Attachments

• Shetland Cows.jpg
    Shetland Cows.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Shetland Cattle.jpg
    Shetland Cattle.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Cows Coney.jpg
    Cows Coney.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 56

Users who are viewing this thread

Back