• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tit,Northern Greece (1 Viewer)

ody

Which Tit?
Marsh or willow?

Attachments

• tit (1).jpg
    tit (1).jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 153
  • tit (2).jpg
    tit (2).jpg
    114 KB · Views: 109
Glossy black cap and what seems to be a lack of a pale wing panel so I'll go for Marsh, the pale spot at the bill base is also visible.

A

Last edited:
evenly long tail feathers - another pro marsh tit.

That's a new one on me...are willow tits more rounded?

Third vote for marsh BTW, pale spot at bill base as pointed out by Andy plus what seems to be a 'smaller headed' appearance, compared to 'bull necked' willow.

That's a new one on me...are willow tits more rounded?

Third vote for marsh BTW, pale spot at bill base as pointed out by Andy plus what seems to be a 'smaller headed' appearance, compared to 'bull necked' willow.

Tail corners are supposedly more rounded but it's very hard to see usually.

A

I read in one article that the underparts of the Willow Tit tend to be warm buff whereas those of the Marsh Tit are "pale buff"
This bird perhaps it appears rather pale underneath
Also the neck being smaller than that of the Willow Tit, which latter bird is reputed to accordingly have a "bullish" appearance, as opposed to the bird under consideration here.
The white cheeks of the Willow Tit are more extensive than those of the Marsh Tit which is I imagine another point in favour of this bird being a Marsh Tit perhaps
My small contribution

I read in one article that the underparts of the Willow Tit tend to be warm buff whereas those of the Marsh Tit are "pale buff"
This bird perhaps it appears rather pale underneath
Also the neck being smaller than that of the Willow Tit, which latter bird is reputed to accordingly have a "bullish" appearance, as opposed to the bird under consideration here.
The white cheeks of the Willow Tit are more extensive than those of the Marsh Tit which is I imagine another point in favour of this bird being a Marsh Tit perhaps
My small contribution

There is some racial variation,the Willow Tits we see in Russia are very pale underneath

A

If the tail is folded, from below you can usually recognise that in Willow Tit the outer tail feathers are shorter than the inner. E.g. shown in this picture: http://birdphoto.fi/lajikuvat/kuvahtml/0parmon129.html
Thanks, I've got a photo of my own I can't decide on - this might well help

There is some racial variation,the Willow Tits we see in Russia are very pale underneath

A

That's most interesting: I wasn't aware of geographical variation

According to Scythebill (using IOC taxonomy), British willow tits are subspecies kleinschmidti, whereas Andy's paler birds are most likely ssp. borealis (Scandinavia to Ukraine). I had ssp. restrictus in Japan recently, which are very pale. Unfortunately marsh tits (ssp. hensoni) are also very pale in Japan...

According to Scythebill (using IOC taxonomy), British willow tits are subspecies kleinschmidti, whereas Andy's paler birds are most likely ssp. borealis (Scandinavia to Ukraine). I had ssp. restrictus in Japan recently, which are very pale. Unfortunately marsh tits (ssp. hensoni) are also very pale in Japan...

And for northern Greece, Willow Tits (rare and confined to a very few high altitude sites in the far N) are nominate P. m. montanus, and Marsh Tits (scarce, but more widespread than Willow, and at somewhat lower altitudes) are nominate P. p. palustris :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back