• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

On the issue of fund raising, if it were a 'goer'. How are relationships with that large establishment over the road, the one with hordes of people passing through those doors every day, who may like to come and have a look at a display board, with some pics from the talented togs of the reserve...(who may even be prepared to raffle one off) ..? you get the drift ;)

Good points all round, we will put it to the Trust as and when the time is right, and we can put our heads together re-fund raising. There is obviously a lot of creative and enthusiastic people amongst us and a major habitat creation project, would be a worthy cause for that talent to come to the fore.
B :)John

Hi. I don't come on very often, not good at chatting on computers but I just wanted to say how upset I was at this news. I was told yesterday up at the moors and was a complete kick in the nuts on top of the smouldering hide. Arthur was a gent and gave me and my wife a lot of his time and experience over the years.. So sad. I will always see him there in my mind when I visit.

God rest you Arthur Jacobs.. Legend of Upton Warren

Very touching Vince. The picture brings a lump to my throat, seeing it strives me on even more to make Upton the best it could be, in memory of AFJ if nothing else.

Last edited:
Very touching Vince. The picture brings a lump to my throat, seeing it strives me on even more to make Upton the best it could be, in memory of AFJ if nothing else.

Thanks, it does me too, Arthur and his wife allowed me to take this pic in 2001 for my diary, quality not good but so glad I have it. Well missed the both of them.. Well done on all your efforts too to keep Upton Warren a fantastic reserve

Hi all
Not much at Upton today but here are a few species I did record: garden, sedge and reed warblers, dunlin, arctic terns and a little gull.

Chris

Hi all
Not much at Upton today but here are a few species I did record: garden, sedge and reed warblers, dunlin, arctic terns and a little gull.

Chris

Thanks for updating Chris.
Was the Little gull a 1st winter as John R had that aged bird this morning. How many Arctic terns?
A male whinchat was on the west side of the Moors at 12.30pm

Last edited:
Water levels at Flashes

If anyone has been to the Flashes today and noted the water level could you post it here. If anyone goes tomorrow could you post it on here or text me if needs be I or some one else will go and open the sluice. I wasn't planning on going before Saturday to check it. If you could be as accurate as possible, it would make the decision easier whether to open the sluice up more or not, as the case may be.
Thanks in anticipation:t:

Last edited:
If anyone has been to the Flashes today and noted the water level could you post it here. If anyone goes tomorrow could you post it on here or text me if needs be I or some one else will go and open the sluice. I wasn't planning on going before Saturday to check it. If you could be as accurate as possible, it would make the decision easier whether to open the sluice up more or not, as the case may be.
Thanks in anticipation:t:

Can any visitors also tie down that Whinchat and make a note of the location of some of the rarer warblers (Gropper, Garden W, Lesser Whitethroat and Common Whitethroat) so we have a fighting chance on a good total on Saturday's all-dayer.

The "Ever-presents"

Whinchat today joins the ranks of the "ever-presents", those species (95) which have been recorded every year since the annual report began in 1984.

Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Shelduck, Mallard, Gadwall, Shoveler, Wigeon, Teal, Tufted Duck, Pochard, GC Grebe, Little Grebe, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Coot, Moorhen, Water Rail, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Hobby, Pheasant, Oystercatcher, Litttle Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Golden Plover, Dunlin, Ruff, Snipe, Jack Snipe, Redshank, Black-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel, Curlew, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Common Gull, Herring Gull, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Common Tern, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Stock Dove, Little Owl, Swift, Kingfisher, Green Woodpecker, GS Woodpecker, Skylark, Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin, Meadow Pipit, Yellow Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Whinchat, Wheatear, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Fieldfare, Redwing, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Treecreeper, Rook, Jay, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Linnet, Lesser Redpoll, Reed Bunting

Another 5 species still have the chance to join the ranks during this year:

Goldeneye, Greenshank, Cuckoo, Spotted Flycatcher, House Sparrow

Former members of the club which have dropped out over the years include:

Spotted Redshank ( first not recorded in 1997)
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (1997)
Red-legged Partridge (1997)
Turtle Dove (1999)
Redstart (2005)
Ruddy Duck (2010)

Arthur and a burnt out hide!

Hi. I don't come on very often, not good at chatting on computers but I just wanted to say how upset I was at this news. I was told yesterday up at the moors and was a complete kick in the nuts on top of the smouldering hide. Arthur was a gent and gave me and my wife a lot of his time and experience over the years.. So sad. I will always see him there in my mind when I visit.

God rest you Arthur Jacobs.. Legend of Upton Warren

I too have very fond memories of Arthur especially in the cold of winter when he always came to feed the birds at the feeding station on the flashes, freezing cold and I had to poor my hot coffee from my flask to thaw out the lock on the store so that he could gain entry! Truth is though he would never have survived long without his dear wife in my opinion but now at last they are together again! It would be nice if we could celebrate his love of Upton Warren by building a replacement hide in his memory! I would be the first to contribute and help raise funds and I am sure that many others would follow suit?

Although it is very sad about the NM hide being burnt down, we have to take a positive from it.
Over the last couple of years I have discussed improvements to the North Moors reed bed with many birders and work party participants. The overwhelming consensus is that the reed bed is less than vigorous in places and for the most part in need of some remedial action. The extent of the reed bed is less than it was 15 years ago, so we had put in place some expansion plans. Which have been submitted to the trust and work could well be done in the next 12 months. However in light of today's incident, these plans could well be of more significance than previously. I always thought the hide was too close to the car park and even more so since the car park was expanded. The future plans would incorporate a 'concrete' hide built into the spoil bank on the west side.
The rationale is to increase the size and quality of reed beds and also create ideal cettis warbler habitat. At present much of the west side is dry and sterile, this because the land is covered in debris from the 'scrape' of several years previous. Much of the new proposed work was from a plan back in 1988 that myself and Stuart C had spoken about. What do you think:t:

The Three diagrams are
1. The present state
2. The action needed
3. The END result.

Hi John,

Had a good look at these and like your end product. The only thought I had (and it's a bit radical I grant you) is to locate the new hide to the top right hand corner of your picture, accessed by the path off the causeway. The path from the car park is then closed off all together - as is a path all the way round - I wonder sometimes if the ability to walk all the way round doesn't disturb birds for such a small area. Would also increase security as I'm sure the ability to park up, spark up and leg it makes it easy to torch or vandalise a hide in the current location. Also the seasonal pool at the boundary could be incorporated more and left in peace. :t:

Hi John,

Had a good look at these and like your end product. The only thought I had (and it's a bit radical I grant you) is to locate the new hide to the top right hand corner of your picture, accessed by the path off the causeway. The path from the car park is then closed off all together - as is a path all the way round - I wonder sometimes if the ability to walk all the way round doesn't disturb birds for such a small area. Would also increase security as I'm sure the ability to park up, spark up and leg it makes it easy to torch or vandalise a hide in the current location. Also the seasonal pool at the boundary could be incorporated more and left in peace. :t:

Hi Gert
Sounds like we're all thinking overtime. I think all interested parties need a site meeting, before we approach the Trust with the definitive article. When you think how small the North Moors is, its amazing how much work has been and can still be done inside it to maximise its full potential. B :)John

I too have very fond memories of Arthur especially in the cold of winter when he always came to feed the birds at the feeding station on the flashes, freezing cold and I had to poor my hot coffee from my flask to thaw out the lock on the store so that he could gain entry! Truth is though he would never have survived long without his dear wife in my opinion but now at last they are together again! It would be nice if we could celebrate his love of Upton Warren by building a replacement hide in his memory! I would be the first to contribute and help raise funds and I am sure that many others would follow suit?

Hi Kingfisher - that is a very kind offer.

The Trust are committed to replacing the West / Bittern Hide in late summer and I understand have funding secured for it. In terms of the North Moors, as you can see from the last 40 or so posts there are various options as to what could happen but most seem to favour having a look to see if something different can be done to make the best use of the opportunity offered to us. Anything other than a like-for-like replacement may take time to explore and plan but could well be worth it. We will have a discussion with the Trust (and English Nature) to see what is possible and what is in the kitty.

Phil

Spring All-Dayer

Just a brief note in addition to the check-list posted earlier.

Record total - 92 species in 1994
Lowest total - 72 species in 2008 (there was less than comprehensive coverage in this year)
Average total over the previous 19 all-dayers 1991-2011 - 81.5 (there was no 'event' in 2006 or 2007)

Totals for the last three years:
2009 - 82
2010 - 88
2011 - 85

All these totals are a collective effort by all participants during the day. If anyone fancies trying for the individual day record this stands at 81.

Cheers
Mike

Whitethroats

Garden Warbler this evening along the east track on the Moors, plus 1st winter Little Gull still.
Record shot here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/7139623585/in/photostream

On Wednesday there was a Lesser Whitethroat singing at the back of the sailing pool, about 100 yards along from the Archery Corner. There was also a Whitethroat singing in the hedgerow behind and between the East Hide and the Salwarp, and another singing in the far hedgerow viewed from behind the Archery targets.

John

On Wednesday there was a Lesser Whitethroat singing at the back of the sailing pool, about 100 yards along from the Archery Corner. There was also a Whitethroat singing in the hedgerow behind and between the East Hide and the Salwarp, and another singing in the far hedgerow viewed from behind the Archery targets.

John

Thanks for the detail John - could you stick a little flag in the ground near each one? ;)

I may have missed this but does all the talk of fund raising mean there was no insurance?

Hi Bob - the Trust are talking to their insurers at the minute; what we are looking at is to see if there is the opportunity to do something better than just do a like-for-like replacement in the current spot (given the previous hide in the same location was also "flame grilled").

Thanks for updating Chris.
Was the Little gull a 1st winter as John R had that aged bird this morning. How many Arctic terns?
A male whinchat was on the west side of the Moors at 12.30pm

Hi John
There are at least 2 Arctic Terns that usually sit on the island in front of the Lapwing hide and i think the little gull was a 1st winter.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back