• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (5 Viewers)

Bit quiet on here lately, don't you reckon? That's partly because I've been away and partly because there hasn't been very much.

I had a fairly good look around today. The Nigg Bay marsh held a pair of Teal, three Moorhen, and eight Snipe. A nice feature recently has been a fairly large flock of Goldcrests that tend to be found in the small conifers around the waterworks where they give very pleasing eye level views. Today I saw around 15 but there have been at least 20.

Otherwise not that much else was around. 183 Purple Sandpipers were roosting and there were a few more common seabirds around than there have been.

Although I've not been seeing much, I did see a species I didn't get at all last year on 21st January - a Fieldfare over the waterworks.

Nice to have you back Andrew. :t:

Thanks Ben!

It was a pleasant afternoon here but not too much was about. Three Kestrels were together over the golf course, calling quite a bit to each other.

The big news was some frankly rip-roaring action on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Monster! I think that's the highest count here for several years.

Still a bit quiet round here. The morning was spent around Nigg Bay. A pair of Teal showed nicely. Four Bullfinches along the railway embankment included three males. Otherwise just a Snipe, a Coal Tit, a few Moorhen and six Rooks.

The afternoon around the Ness was even less bird-packed, partly because the waders roosting on Skate's Nose were booted by an amorous couple who decided the pier was the best place for them to share a tender moment. Sweet. A Red-throated Diver and a Razorbill were showing well in the harbour. Nine Common Scoters went south.

Attachments

• Teal_Girdle Ness_170218a.jpg
    Teal_Girdle Ness_170218a.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 31
  • RT Diver_Girdle Ness_170218a.jpg
    RT Diver_Girdle Ness_170218a.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Razorbill_Girdle Ness_170218a.jpg
    Razorbill_Girdle Ness_170218a.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 38
  • Turnstone_Girdle Ness_170218a.jpg
    Turnstone_Girdle Ness_170218a.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 38
Another quiet day in Torry. A Collared Dove was singing along Victoria Road in the morning and a Siskin flew over the waterworks. 192 Purple Sandpipers were roosting on Skate's Nose. There was plenty of dolphin activity to please the crowds but not much happening otherwise.

Typical February here today: cold, grey and no birds. Well not many at least. Still a pair of Teal on the marshes. Quite a lot of auks around on the sea and in the harbour. With onshore winds continuing through the week there may well be more come in. Lots of dolphin action again too.

Some invigorating weather here in Torry this week. The weekdays were wild and snowy, though the snow was never that prolonged. Large numbers of gulls, mostly Common and Herring, came into the harbour.

The weekend has been grey and sleaty and the snow has started to melt. Fieldfares have been a conspicuous arrival, with 38 seen today in various flocks. Three Red-breasted Mergansers were in the harbour yesterday. The most cheering sight was of a male Stonechat on the north bank. I'm always a bit worried they'll get wiped out in hard weather, but at least one lingers on.

The marsh today produced my first Jack Snipe of the year. A Woodcock was also flushed near the waterworks, where a male Pheasant was seen well. A Water Rail appeared briefly on the Burn and the pair of Teal were still finding some open water.

Here's a Rook in the snow and a desperate plea for help from the wave-drenched breakwater.

Attachments

• Rook_Torry_040318a.jpg
    Rook_Torry_040318a.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Save the Gingers_Girdle Ness_030318a.jpg
    Save the Gingers_Girdle Ness_030318a.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 67
Improved meteorological clemency encouraged me out for a walk in the afternoon. Two Woodcock were flushed from near the railway embankment. A pair of Stonechat in the plantation by the marsh were good to see. The male appeared to be unringed, so must be a different bird to the one I saw at the weekend. The best birds were a pair of Stock Doves feeding in the short grass on Tullos Hill near the railway bridge. Not a species I get every year, although they breed nearby.

Not too much elsewhere, though 162 Purple Sandpipers were roosting. No gingers - perhaps it's too late to save them.

Attachments

• Stock Dove_Girdle Ness_070318a.jpg
    Stock Dove_Girdle Ness_070318a.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Skylark_Girdle Ness_070318a.jpg
    Skylark_Girdle Ness_070318a.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 38
Nice weather here in Torry today. The birding was mostly quiet but was enlivened by rather flukily picking up an immature Iceland Gull heading south across Nigg Bay around midday. Other stuff included single Coal Tit, Goldcrest and Snipe around the waterworks and a female Red-breasted Merganser in Greyhope Bay.

A late afternoon wander out into some fairly belligerent winds produced one drake Long-tailed Duck flying out of the harbour. The female Red-breasted Merganser was again in Greyhope Bay. Lots of dolphins jumping in the heavy seas, with a few making their way into the harbour.

A late afternoon wander out into some fairly belligerent winds produced one drake Long-tailed Duck flying out of the harbour. The female Red-breasted Merganser was again in Greyhope Bay. Lots of dolphins jumping in the heavy seas, with a few making their way into the harbour.

Did you by any chance see Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead ? He was In my work today and was telling me,he was heading to Old St Fitticks Kirk to film,as there Is an ancestor of his buried there.

Did you by any chance see Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead ? He was In my work today and was telling me,he was heading to Old St Fitticks Kirk to film,as there Is an ancestor of his buried there.

Sadly not, though I probably wouldn't recognise him anyway. That seems a strangely appropriate spot for someone from the Walking Dead to be heading to.

Fairly rugged conditions again in Torry today, although the sun was out for most of the time at least. The Nigg Bay area still held a pair of Teal and around nine Snipe. A Water Rail (possibly a ringed bird?) was seen quite well in flight. A family of Long-tailed Tits were along the railway embankment and I again saw a pair of Stock Doves on Tullos Hill near the railway bridge. Given that I also saw a pair of Collared Doves on Victoria Road it was a rare 'four pigeon day' in Torry.

There wasn't too much elsewhere in the rough conditions. A pair of Red-breasted Mergansers in the harbour were about the best of it.

The conditions were slightly less medal-inducing today, when it was actually quite sunny if cold. It was a good day to watch the waves crashing into the breakwater, which is what most people seemed to be doing. The birds were much lower key. I saw two different Water Rails along the Tullos Burn. They seem to be quite showy at the moment. My first Lesser Black-backed Gull of the year was in the harbour. The week ahead looks a bit more spring-like, so perhaps a few migrants might start appearing.

Slightly more spring-like weather here in Torry over the weekend, although it cooled down this afternoon with a few brisk showers. Yesterday was pleasant but not all that exciting. The marshes held five Snipe, a calling Water Rail and three Moorhen. Two Long-tailed Ducks flew north offshore. Otherwise that was about it.

A wander around the north side late afternoon today was a bit more productive. The best bird was an adult winter Little Gull around the harbour mouth, following the line where the river waters meet the bay. Off the Coo a Sandwich Tern was amongst the Kittiwakes. A Long-tailed Duck and Red-breasted Merganser were in Nigg Bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back