• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketches from Andrew Ellis (1 Viewer)

Nice Andy!! I like chats! The alert one is spot on - and the colour wash works extremely well!! Still kept expecting to see the slim outline of a distant raptor up top though....;)

springy-winged terns - a lesser person would have been completely fazed by their clippy action, superb work! Then a right royal treat of cuckoo and whinchat.

to me the wins hit it all for a perfect sketch book page, several well defined views, beautiful accurate color and a over all environment sketch to define the territory.....like perfect!

Whinchats are fantastic, Andrew. A fave species of mine, but the corking spring males are rare - it's more often a case of juvs/1st winters in the autumn.
From viewing it in cyberspace I would have no hesitation in sticking it on my wall.

Russ

Whinchats are fantastic, Andrew. A fave species of mine, but the corking spring males are rare - it's more often a case of juvs/1st winters in the autumn.
From viewing it in cyberspace I would have no hesitation in sticking it on my wall.

Russ

But juv Whinchats are absolute corkers too! Beautiful scaly-backed things - so much better than the tatty failed breeders and unpaired birds that linger around this area. (Of course, spring males are absolute stunners too!)

Hi Andrew, from a newbie to the forum. I am running out of suitably strong adjectives to use for the work on this forum. I looked through this thread and am just blown away by your work. Particularly love the Peregrine work. About a mile as the falcon flies from our house is a large (and famous on this side of the pond) waterfall known as Snoqualmie Falls. A pair of Peregrines has nested there successfully for their sixth year in a row, and has served to increase the interest in falcons by literally thousands of folks who come to see the falls and end up looking at the scrape through a scope that one of us has set up. Your work on these magnificent birds is truly amazing!

Glad you guys liked the Whinchats. I must admit the image is a little over saturated than
the original and this may have given the male too much of the spring feel!! I do tend to over guild the lily though when it comes to these little beauties!

John thankyou for your Glowing praise it is much appreciated. I am always pleased to hear of another viewing point for these fantastic birds the awareness these produce can only further cement the position of Peregrines in peoples lives.

Skua dilema

Hi guy's hope you can help me with a problem I have with a new piece I want to start. Attached are some prelim drawings and colour studies can't decide which of the two colour studies to use for the final piece. Any input would be helpful .

Attachments

• Skua001.jpg
    Skua001.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Skua002.jpg
    Skua002.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Skua003.jpg
    Skua003.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Skua004.jpg
    Skua004.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I'd just frame both of those and put them on the wall as a pair,amazing pieces of work.

I actually slightly prefer the last one where the underside of the bird is visible.

Wow. Both are great pieces of art in their own right, never mind preliminary sketches.

Speaking personally, I prefer the second version from a composition point of view. This version has three different bird shapes whereas the first one has the same shape repeated in the skua and the nearest tern. I think this makes the second version more dynamic and interesting but that's just my own point of view.

Mike

I agree - these are already finished pieces. Stunning they are too! The last one is better, it opens up a path from the skua to the terns.

Echoing what others have said...my first reaction was, these are STUDIES?! Looking forward to the day when my finished pieces approach these; they are excellent. Both compositions work well for me.

another vote for pic #2

bird #2's head is directed right at the terns and for me that's what gives it that sense of athleticism as it bends round to them, whereas in bird #1 the head is side-on, so not quite the same evident intent

though both are uber-brill of course

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back