• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Kite pls? (1 Viewer)

SCPALAS

Would you pls help to identify . I have only three photos.
Taken on March 14th 2018 at Istanbul at the migration on the Bosphorus.
Thanking in advance for the kind helps.
:)

Attachments

• Çaylak 01.jpg
    Çaylak 01.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Çaylak 02.jpg
    Çaylak 02.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Çaylak 03.jpg
    Çaylak 03.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
all black bill, 6 fingers, not so reddish tail below and brown tail above looks better for extreme form of 'eastern Black Kite' to me

Kite id

Hi all,
most will realize this but these pics. illustrate both ends of the black kite spectrum! Apologies for the use of images.

Attachments

• black-kite-israel-2006 (1).jpg
    black-kite-israel-2006 (1).jpg
    8 KB · Views: 16
  • Black Kite Gigrin 11 2 10  IMG_5291_filtered (1) (1).jpg
    Black Kite Gigrin 11 2 10 IMG_5291_filtered (1) (1).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 14
Hi, this is a red morph black kite, which is probably from the introgression-zone between western and eastern black kite. I have seen many kites like this in Israel in the past weeks during raptor count. I have attached a photo of an black kite that looks like yours

Attachments

• DSC_7540.JPG
    DSC_7540.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 75
Hi all,
thanks for this Ragnar, you have explained the western\eastern regression point in a better context. One clue is in the more extensive paler underwing of the black kite. The red kite is pattern is usually more restricted and a purer white. A long time ago I was asked to opine about these type of black kites claimed as red kites in Southern Africa of all places! Understandably they stood out against YBK.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back