• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallards eating other birds (1 Viewer)

sueKay

I witnessed a female mallard try and drown a robin today before seagulls got a hold of it and tried to kill it by dropping it. I managed to get it away from them but it passed away in my hands anyway, probably from the shock :(

I'm not surprised at the gulls, but is this normal for ducks? We do have very bad weather (over a foot of snow at the moment), so is that the reason?

Last edited:
Maybe weather related, however, this has been documented before. There was a thread here recently on the very subject. There's some footage somewhere of a Mallard trying to drown a Sand Martin.

Thanks for the replies, I had googled but hadn't found much but yeah, I know most birds will try and kill anything they can eat...I'd just never seen it from Mallards before.

I'd hoped the Robin would make it - it was moving around in my hand after I got a hold of it and I tried to get it to grip my little finger with its feet but I think being in the water and being dropped from a good couple of metres into the snow was too much for it's heart. :(

That's your opinion, and if I'd been in the middle of nowhere I would have let nature take its course but this was ducks and seagulls in a touristy village where people are down feeding them constantly...it was one Robin and I didn't want to watch it getting torn limb from limb by seagulls.

I did also leave the robin somewhere where it will make a meal for another animal without causing a free for all among a flock of seagulls.

That's your opinion, and if I'd been in the middle of nowhere I would have let nature take its course but this was ducks and seagulls in a touristy village where people are down feeding them constantly...it was one Robin and I didn't want to watch it getting torn limb from limb by seagulls.

Good for you. I would have done the same.

Wow. I'd never heard of this. I wonder how a mallard caught a robin? Maybe it was hypothermic? Even stranger is how a duck could catch a sand martin!

The Robin was down at the river's edge...I'd tried to coax the Robin away from there because one duck had already snapped at it, but I think it was trying to get on the only bit of ground that wasn't snowy - right at the water's edge. It was a bit out of sorts - it didn't fly away when I got near it - he just hopped a bit, and refused to take food. I'd have expected him to see the food, grab a bit and fly off but he didn't really respond, and I think his wings were already wet. It's been really cold though and snowing for 48 hours straight. I wish I'd been able to catch him because I was concerned, but I wasn't expecting a duck to grab him and drag him into the river :(

Last edited:
Mallards will eat much what they can fit into their bill. I saw one struggling to swallow a big crayfish, which was even more difficult than a Robin.

I think your Robin was dying from hunger anyway, that is why it let itself be caught by a Mallard.

Well, mallards are known to eat anything that goes through their neck. somewhere there was a picture in te web of a mallard taking a wood mouse (which also had to be soaked in water before it could be swallowed).

I was more surprised when I read that on the breading grounds Common Eider and King Eider may occasionally eat lemmings when they are abundant... haven´t seen that behavour photograped though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back