• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

okey boys and gurls hit those headlands we got easterlies on the the way 'um Greennish as an outside possibilty" Yield all you got to do is bvelieve and you will find, get out thair, now, this morning, now find, find, find, focus focus focus.

Ps Masked Booby my assd

Josh! Looks like you been drinking again!!! If only I could go out birdin in thair morning boy! But sure will be out thair Saturday!

Penny:girl:

okey boys and gurls hit those headlands we got easterlies on the the way 'um Greennish as an outside possibilty" Yield all you got to do is bvelieve and you will find, get out thair, now, this morning, now find, find, find, focus focus focus.

Ps Masked Booby my assd
Josh. Don't u mean masked boob! Expect a weekend of dodgy skua's and distant big shears!! See u at the shelter! Agree that the weather looks good! Expect nothing less than a greenish! They have a wing bar! If you find one that goes zit your going to be popular! Focus!:cat:

Josh. Don't u mean masked boob! Expect a weekend of dodgy skua's and distant big shears!! See u at the shelter! Agree that the weather looks good! Expect nothing less than a greenish! They have a wing bar! If you find one that goes zit your going to be popular! Focus!:cat:

Hey man, the ? mark that came after the MB is BS - is all RBAs doings, those guys on the East Coast know their Sht, amazin record, congrats guys

Hey Penny, what do you mean again? see you at hoose n thair hill when you found the big'un

Last edited:
Where is Stiffkey fen? - often see this referred to. As you drive along the 149 towards Cley there is a reserve next to the road near Stiffkey with very little places to stop - right next to the road other side a ditch..........always looks good when there is water there. Is this Stiffkey Fen? and is access allowed?

Where is Stiffkey fen? - often see this referred to. As you drive along the 149 towards Cley there is a reserve next to the road near Stiffkey with very little places to stop - right next to the road other side a ditch..........always looks good when there is water there. Is this Stiffkey Fen? and is access allowed?

I think the area you are referring to is the flooded fields by the roadside. These can only be viewed from the road or via a public footpath that runs along the eastern edge.

Stiffkey fen is at TF 987 438 GB. On the A149 just east of Stiffkey is a pull in that holds about three cars. Park here and walk east (if you cross the road there is a footpath between two hedges along the south side of the road). When you reach a bridge crossing the river, take a footpath North over a few stiles and the area to your right is Stiffkey Fen. This footpath meets up with the coastal footpath, and the best views are probably had from the coastal footpath looking south, so its best to factor in the position of the sun when looking for waders.

I think the area you are referring to is the flooded fields by the roadside. These can only be viewed from the road or via a public footpath that runs along the eastern edge.

Stiffkey fen is at TF 987 438 GB. On the A149 just east of Stiffkey is a pull in that holds about three cars. Park here and walk east (if you cross the road there is a footpath between two hedges along the south side of the road). When you reach a bridge crossing the river, take a footpath North over a few stiles and the area to your right is Stiffkey Fen. This footpath meets up with the coastal footpath, and the best views are probably had from the coastal footpath looking south, so its best to factor in the position of the sun when looking for waders.

Thanks James - I have seen that layby actually. Does the other reserve next to the road have a name? it has hides by the look of it, and looked to have Avocet on it again when last there (although driving past!) so do they breed on it??

Hey man, the ? mark that came after the MB is BS - is all RBAs doings, those guys on the East Coast know their Sht, amazin record, congrats guys

Hey Penny, what do you mean again? see you at hoose n thair hill when you found the big'un

Josh what are u going on about! A cross between the inigma code, broad glasgow and west indian Jive! Perhaps you have been on the hard stuff! See you at Sherringham at the weekend. Sunday morning looks very interesting!! Lets hope the birds know about it!!!!:cat:

Highlight of a mornings seawatching off East Runton today was a Black Guillemot which landed on the sea before promptly disappearing, but presumably the same bird headed off west later being seen off Sheringham and the Point. Lots of waders moving, plus a few ducks but otherwise fairly disappointing with just a couple of Arctic Skuas and a Bonxie.

A couple of Harbour Porpoise off Overstrand this afternoon were a welcome sight as they were quite regular off this part of the coast up to a couple of years ago but these were the first ones I'd seen since then.

Simon

Thanks James - I have seen that layby actually. Does the other reserve next to the road have a name? it has hides by the look of it, and looked to have Avocet on it again when last there (although driving past!) so do they breed on it??

Both flooded areas on both sides of the road are Stiffkey Fen. The reserve is private with no public access and is wardened. Viewing the South Fen alongside the road is not recomended as the road carries a lot of fast traffic. The North Fen can be viewed frim the sea wall and has a good selction of waders at present.

Well done acro king, I hear you picked up the greenish on call at the hills, are you branching out to phylloscs as well now.

best I could muster was one pied fly at west end of holkham, also saw female monties, spoonbill & a flock of 14 greenshanks over norton marshes. At holkham an adult spoonbill left the tree clump but no juveniles visible.

Pie fest, after the most exciting walk in the world

I thought it might be good, even before I’d really started. A Pied Fly flitted elusively around the small (bee) copse at the north end of the westernmost track at Warham Greens.

The long trudge out was just about as wet and slippery as I’d seen it. I could have done with two walking poles, not my usual single. Reaching the ‘far shore’, I looked about for something out of the ordinary, but didn’t get lucky again until I got to the main grove, where there were two more Pied Flys. Disappointed that it seemed so quiet, I then heard a GREENISH WARBLER call a couple of times- and stop. Giving it a decent interval, I then tried playing the call from my mobile ‘phone: it responded in desultory fashion- and then shut up completely !

At this point, two regulars showed up- one of whom was lucky enough to hear it call twice. That was that. We continued to the western end, with several more Pied Flys showing up- a total of 6 at The Hills. A couple of Phylloscs made up the rest of the cast. On our return to the grove, Rob had to leave (having been the only one to see Spotted Fly) and Dave A heard the Greenish call clearly four times. There was more here now than before.

A Wheatear flicked over the dunes on the way back. Attaining the ‘mainland’, there were now 4 Pied Flys at the ‘top’ of the track.

*** DO NOT GO OUT HERE WITHOUT BEING TOLD OF THE VARIOUS DANGERS***

P.S. Attached is also a photo of a female Speckled Bush Cricket viciously attacking Steve Beal. (The orthopteran is the green one, if you weren’t sure!) This was earlier, at the abortive search for Penny’s Pied Fly.

Attachments

• 048sm.jpg
    048sm.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 081pse2sm.jpg
    081pse2sm.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 097pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    097pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 040psesm.jpg
    040psesm.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Seawatching and Blakeney Point!!!!

Got up at a ridiculous time this morning - it was torrential rain and I had to use a brolly, just to take stuff out to the car!! Serious flooding around King's Lynn and on some of the roads on route.

Arrived Cley Coastguards at 6.45am - not much doing really - wind veering to south east when they said it was going to be NE - 8 whimbrel, Arctic Skua chasing a tern, several flocks of Common Scooter going west and also several Gannets by 7.20am. Got bored and left. Along the beach road a kestrel sat on a telegraph pole and a flock of starlings lined up on the telegraph wires.

Walsey Hills 7.50am until 9.30 several chiffchaffs, 2 linnets, 2 common whitethroats, great tits, coal tits and hedge sparrows.

Sawbury Hill
which is opposite the Iron Road just east of Walsey Hills on right hand side, travelling towards Salthouse - found a Pied Flycatcher:t: sitting in an elder at 9.40am!!!! Naturally I had left the camera in the car! Rushed back to get it and on my return there was no sign of it - typical!

Connor phoned me to say he was going down the Point (Blakeney Point) with his dad and would I like to join them - I was going anyway, but its always nice to go down with someone else, especially if you don't see anything good!

Went up the visitor centre briefly and then went to Daukes Hide for a short time - too many people in the hides - now I know why I prefer evenings!

Went to Cleyspy to look at different bits and pieces and then returned to Cley Beach Carpark to have my lunch and get bag ready for BP.

Started walking the Point at around 1.25pm. 2 Spoonbills flying west, a female Wheatear bounded across the shingle, several skylarks, meadows pipits and reed buntings. A good passage of whimbrel seen and heard throughout the afternoon. As we walked through the suada bushes, I was thinking - I am getting to old for this!!! 2.25pm Connor shouted out Wryneck as he almost stood on it!!! It was a few hundred yards before half way house - it bounded further away and over a creek where it landed briefly on a sueda bush before disappearing in the undergrowth - no chance of a photo there! I flushed a fem. Common Redstart by Half way house (2.50pm) and shortly after this at 3pm we had an elusive Icterine Warbler which I got a couple of shots of. The Icterine Warbler also sat on the shingle under a Yellow horned poppy plant at one point!

At the 'Tamerisk' near the Plantation we had 2 Willow Warblers and at The Plantation we had 2 Willow Warblers and 2 Pied Flycatchers - 4.25pm, although the Pied Flys did not wish to be photographed! Sat by the Lupins, but nothing here. Looking at the time, we decided not go any further, so turned back and decided the flat sand looked much more inviting than the shingle! Watched a dark phase Arctic Skua chasing a tern at 5.50pm. Crossed over to just after Half way House again to try and relocate the Wryneck, but no luck. Several people were standing near the house looking at/for the Icterine.

The walk back to Coastguards seemed like forever, which it always does, but Connor and his dad did an excellent job of saying regularly 'we are nearly there'!!!

Connor and his dad left the carpark. I sat in my deckchair drinking coffee and enjoying a buttered cheese scone that I had bought earlier at the Cley Visitor Centre! It was soooo lovely to sit down. A lady called across from the other side of the carpark to say she had a Whinchat in her scope - looked lovely in the sunshine, sitting on a fence post, although not close enough to photograph - think it was the same one that Eddie M. had found earlier.

Left here and returned to Sawbury Hill, but no sign of Pied Fly there. Huge flock of greylags and egyptian geese in the stubble field adjacent.

Walsey Hills - nothing here apart from a very strange Hoopoe calling.. hmmmmmmm...... someone messing about I thought... it was indeed, John Furse!!!!!!! We walked along bottom path and got very excited over what turned out to be a woodpigeon!

Was extremely tired driving home and arrived back at 9.15pm - really don't want to go to work in the morning!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

re #9491

We have a Norfolk Wildlife group on Yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/norfolk-wildlife/?yguid=204833691

But both are good ideas. Someone would have to manage the website, presumably ?

This is similar to what I've seen in the US, where there are no pager services and people write up their findings online at (usually) the end of the day.

As now, some would use it, the more selfish others would keep their good birds close to their grubby little chests, exhibiting all the symptoms of SBS (Scrooge Birding Syndrome).

Arrived Cley Coastguards at 6.45am - not much doing really - wind veering to south east when they said it was going to be NE - 8 whimbrel, Arctic Skua chasing a tern, several flocks of Common Scooter going west and also several Gannets by 7.20am.
Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I spent this afternoon dipping pied flycatchers and saw nothing of note at all.

I wished I had seen Penny's common scooter.

You should have been here yesterday...

Following in the lucky footsteps of Messrs Rand and Rand and Miss Clarke down the Point today, I soon got that sinking feeling as I failed totally to refind the Icky.

Not too daunted as a strong NE continued to howl in, I reasoned 'anything' could drop in... or not as the case may be. A Wheatear was the most exciting thing at the Hood, and the Plantation did its usual trick of looking empty but had 2 Willow Warblers, 1 Redstart, 3 Wheatears and a Chiffy but I could magic up nothing from the Lupins. I couldn't even manage a Scooter (Common or otherwise) on the way back... Still... it was a good walk, me being one of those very strange souls who actually likes walking up the Point and back - all good hill training!

As Stuart mentioned a few days ago, the chart for Monday still looks promising http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/13000 As my car will be in for a service, I can confidently predict the joint will be jumping!

Dipping Pies. Is this akin to deep-fried Mars Bars ?

I spent this afternoon dipping pied flycatchers and saw nothing of note at all.

Paul, you should have gone to Wells Woods. There were 4 Pied Flys in the Dell this afternoon, one of which is featured in the extensive attached photo-shoot.

As we journeyed towards the Drinking Pool, along the main track, we found 2 more Pied Flys in the trees south of the track.

The fresh-looking and co-operative Painted Lady (a butterfly) was on the ground at Walsey Hills this morning.

Attachments

• 029pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    029pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 022psesm.jpg
    022psesm.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 50
Hi all,

In London we have a website and an email list for sharing bird sightings. Is there anything similar for Norfolk?

Tom

I wish there was! I used to belong to both the Essex and London email groups before I moved here and they were invaluable. I am finding it really hard to find any up to date info about my local area, it's very frustrating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back