• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

euro HD 8x32 transmission (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Hello,
Does anyone know of transmission values for the 8x32 Euro/Meostar HD? I have seen reports for the orignaly 8x32,8x42,&10x42 B1 Meostars, and values were 89.5,90,&85%, respectively. Are the new models much the same? I have tried the 8x32 again recently in stores and found it very nice both ergonomically and optically, but it is tough to judge brightness (and CA control) in stores, so transmission values are helpful with relative comparisons...

Thanks,
Justin

Zzzzzzzzz and Vespo, those both refer to the previous generations which expressed a strong warm tinge. I did not see a warm tinge in the HD, nor have I seen such a color issue reported. As such, I doubt their transmission and transmission profile is the same.

Thanks for your comments though.

Justin

Zzzzzzzzz and Vespo, those both refer to the previous generations which expressed a strong warm tinge. I did not see a warm tinge in the HD, nor have I seen such a color issue reported. As such, I doubt their transmission and transmission profile is the same.

Thanks for your comments though.

Justin

I suggest you send an email to meopta US,
they will answer your question,
I sent some questions about S2 HD and they were very quick,

[email protected]

[email protected]

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/contact-us-1404042523.html

I have no idea WHAT the transmission % is OR what the transmission graph looks like BUT...

I own a Zeiss 8X32 FL T*, a Vortex Viper 8X32 HD, AND the Cabela's Euro HD 8X32 and IMO the Euro HD is probably the best of the three optically. Low light performance is super. If the ergonomics suit you...I don't thing you'd go wrong...

DSC_0149.JPG

I have no idea WHAT the transmission % is OR what the transmission graph looks like BUT...

I own a Zeiss 8X32 FL T*, a Vortex Viper 8X32 HD, AND the Cabela's Euro HD 8X32 and IMO the Euro HD is probably the best of the three optically. Low light performance is super. If the ergonomics suit you...I don't thing you'd go wrong...

DSC_0149.JPG

Interesting, the FL Victory is one of the models.I was very interested in as well...
Thanks for your thoughts!

I do not know what the exact transmission values are for the Euro HD 8x32.

But I have checked out the 8x32 Euro HD ( Meopta) a few times and even purchased a couple pairs to check out- and I have to say I was not super impressed with the brightness or colors of the samples I have checked out. The color scheme in the 8x32's still look a little warm to me- and I am not sure about how bright they are. The 10x42 for what ever reason seems more neutral to me.

Here is an excerpt from a response I made on another forum to respond in a thread asking people what their opinions were regarding the Leupold 8x32 Mojave. I posted my thoughts on it's comparison to the Euro HD that I had just purchased to check out. This was posted this summer.

"The Cabelas Euro HD I compared it ( Mojave) to ( 8x32) was one I bought because I think their glass is super ...... I spent (2) days testing each ( against the 8x32 Mojave) in all types of light- especially low light. Well, the Cabelas went back to the store. It is very nice glass, but the kicker for me over (2) nights and early AM low light testing and resolution testing of fine detail revealed to me that for me the Mojave was better. Again- this was these (2) samples. But what kept on jumping out to me was the Mojave was brighter and did better in low light, but the real thing was that it resolved fine details better. And that surprised me. I found myself trying with the focus on the Euro HD to focus back and forth to get it to achieve the same detail that I could resolve with the Mojave- but I finally realized that it was not a focus problem. It was just that it could not get quite as fine a detail as the Mojave- no matter how I tried. Now, I was really splitting hairs with this testing, but it ( the difference) was apparent.

Better build quality with the Euro HD- but it did not beat the optics of my Mojave. And I got a killer deal on the Mojave; but if the Euro could not beat it out in tests that are important to me, I could not justify keeping it.

Well- that's my story. Mojave is nice Japanese made glass. Don't care for the shell armor too much- but oh well."

Last edited:
Stephen,

Thanks for your thoughts - it is always interesting to.hear a dissenting opinion, especially when these binos have very few negative reviews. I was quite impressed by their view in terms of sharpness and sweetspot size, I just can't really get a good handle on brightness and CA control in a flourescently lit building.

Justin

Justin,

They really are a nice binocular ( the Euro HD's); and I think they are plenty bright, and feel they handle glare and CA quite well. Although I am one that is not really susceptible to CA- at least I do not notice it, or am not that aware that I do- and want to keep it that way. ;)

I do think the 8x32 Euro HD's are a very nice binocular that competes quite well at its price point, and maybe even above. I was a bit surprised that it fell behind my Leupold Mojave in areas that are important to me. Could be just samples tested and preferences. Leupold glass for me has good contrast in the light and areas that I use them in. And that Mojave is quite bright and very good in resolving detail. But the build quality is not where the Euro's/ Meopta's are.

Shame really, because I think ( as Steve C noted here also) that Leupold showed with that Mojave the promise of what they could possibly do with binoculars if they really wanted to. I am just not sure that they are that commited to great binoculars like they once were. I think they sell a bunch in various styles and price, that they are happy enough. But a lighter Gold Ring's with wonderful modern glass and coatings would do well against the competition. I am not holding my breath.

Leupold's failure to continue investing in the GR series is unfortunate as I have always liked their offerings - I've owned the Mojave, McKinley, and non-HD Golden Ring.

if you haven't seen this,
nice result for the meopta

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/meopta8x32.html

"Image color: The test with a white sheet of paper delivers a completely neutral color tone of the Nikon, and a slightly warmer tone of the Meopta. This is not to be confused with a "yellow tint" - when looking through the Meostar binocular, the image appears neutral as well. "

strange that meopta does not have a HD version of their own,

Last edited:
if you haven't seen this,
nice result for the meopta

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/meopta8x32.html

"Image color: The test with a white sheet of paper delivers a completely neutral color tone of the Nikon, and a slightly warmer tone of the Meopta. This is not to be confused with a "yellow tint" - when looking through the Meostar binocular, the image appears neutral as well. "

strange that meopta does not have a HD version of their own,

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/8x32/test8x32.

My (unofficial) ranking!

By comparison, the Nikon 8x30 EII Porro, which was not involved in this test, I would equate approximately to the level of Meopta.

1. Nikon EDG: Very good optical properties, very good insight

2. Zeiss FL and Swaro EL: The Zeiss has better optical properties, the Swar better haptics

4. Leica and Kowa: In its optical values ​​the Kowa is slightly forward, feel and insight are the Leica better.

6. Meopta: In its price range the best insight, optics is on medium to high level. Good price / performance

*Meopta Meostar B1

A compact binocular with good feel and the best insight into the non-premium class.

The image has a slightly amber tone, but is still quite bright and contrasty, with low chromatic aberration. The definition could, however, be better. The dual focuser runs precisely, the eyecups lock into three positions. The strap acts with its thick padding slightly oversized, the lens and eyepiece look cheap and do not fit securely. The binocular has overall a very good price / performance ratio.

7. Pentax, Swaro SLC and Minox HG: look at medium-high level, compromising insight or haptics

10. Minox BL BR: compromising on the look and feel, but good price / performance ratio

11. Vixen: The weakest binoculars in the test, for the price but adequate.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back