• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WALRUS !!!! - Orkney (1 Viewer)

Not really up on my walrus'
I know they are usually concentrated around the arctic but how many previous records have there been if any in the uk?

At the risk of sounding lazy, anyone worked out the logistics of a twitch? I need to be able to do it in a weekend - and preferably have some sleep - or it'll have to be a four week wait for me. :C

When was the last one?! Do they have any history of staying a while? I seem to remember the Ringed Seal stayed for ages?! Or am I going mad?

Looks a bit difficult to get there at this time of year. Easy enough to get to Kirkwall by ferry (early flights this week are already booked out), but ferry to North Ronaldsay is few and far between and flights maybe sold out?

Thought people might be interested in an update on the "Orkney" Walrus. It was first seen in the Faroe Islands on 27 February and as noted above it turned up in Norway after leaving North Ron and then turned up in Sørvágsfjørður in the Faroe Islands on 21 March where it was fitted with a tracking device. It was then seen again on 11 June in the Faroes, but on 17 June it turned up in eastern Iceland at Reyðarfjörður and appeared to have spent the summer gradually moving west along the Icelandic coast, being seen on 26 June, 24 July and finally on 16-17 August (when it was twitchable but muggins here was at Birdfair!) at the popular tourist spot Jökulsárlón.

By this time the satellite tracker had fallen off but on 4 September it returned to the same beach at Sørvágsfjørður in the Faroes where it was originally tagged and it was fitted with a new one. It was seen in various locations in the Faroes until 8 September but by 15 September it was back in Reyðarfjörður in Iceland. I am now on high twitch alert. A map of its recent travels can be seen here http://www.ngs.fo/Default.aspx?ID=9431&PID=10187&NewsID=5314 You can get a larger map my clicking on the last word in the text "hér"
The accuracy of the above is dependent on my ability to understand Faroese properly, which to Icelandic speakers is 75% easy peasy and 25% gobbledey gook.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back