• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (44 Viewers)

Commented before the Little Grebe was loaded...or was it down below catching the fish ?
Another lovely capture...
Keith :t:

Vern has just lrang to say he has left upton and is now watching the glossy ibis at stikesay castle in Shropshire. It is giving great views. I have asked him to bag it up and bring it to upton when he has finished photographing it. 8-P

Hi Phil
Hope your having a great time in Shetland certainly winning the Shet vs Scili race. I hope you are not going to begrudge me a late Whitethroat compared to the birds on Shetland. ( too chunky for Subalp- did check though)
Dont like to doubt Mr Stat but 1971 Oct 2nd, same date, according to "The birds of Upton"

Hi Tevor - having reviewed my raw data I would confirm that your Common Whitethroat on the 2nd October is the joint latest departure date along with 1971.

The Hobby yesterday on the work party was the latest date since 2000 when the last bird was seen on the 15th October (the latest departure date on record)

Last edited:
Grey Heron

Further to Janner Falcon's count of 13 Grey Heron at the Flashes late on the 25th September and again early the following day (with photo), I would advise that this is the highest count for 17 years. The reserve record is 16 birds (mostly immatures) present on an unspecified date in July 1994.

Attachments

• Grey Heron max.jpg
    Grey Heron max.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 50
Moorhen

Further to my count of 52 Moorhen across the reserve during the Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS) on Sunday 22nd September, I would advise this is the highest count in recent times. The reserve’s maximum total is a count of 65 birds seen in September 1981 whilst 60 birds were referred to in A. J. Martin’s article in the Birmingham Bird Club’s 1943 Annual Report as being present during most winters around that period. There are several records of 50 birds - seen in 1985, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1994 and 1995 - with the majority of these birds observed at the Flashes.

Attachments

• Moorhen - max.jpg
    Moorhen - max.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 44
Greylag Goose

Greylag Goose Anser anser

First recorded at Upton Warren on the 22nd June 1966, it is almost certain that all records of Greylag Goose since relate to feral birds, although a bird observed on the 13th March 1986 was described as “very wary”. In the 1980s and 1990s the vast majority of records come from the period February through to mid May, with another small peak of records in September and October. However, as indicated by annual records since 1990, there has been a considerable growth of this species’ local population. This culminated in a reserve record of 74 birds at the Moors Pool on the 29th September this year.

A Greylag Goose paired with a Canada Goose in 1991 and 1992, the latter year producing a hybrid gosling, and hybrid birds originating from elsewhere can be commonly encountered on the reserve. In 2007 a pair of Greylag Geese bred for the first time at Upton Warren, raising one gosling which was seen from the 17th May. However it was unfortunately killed on the 29th May by an overly aggressive Mute Swan (which also accounted for a Great Crested Grebe the same year). The following year five gosling were noted at the Moors Pool from the 9th May; only one was present after the 23rd May and was noted in June. In 2009 a pair emerged with eight young at the Moors Pool of which seven proceeded to fledge. Despite a regular presence in the breeding season in subsequent years there have been no further known attempts.

Attachments

• Greylag - max.jpg
    Greylag - max.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Vern has just lrang to say he has left upton and is now watching the glossy ibis at stikesay castle in Shropshire. It is giving great views. I have asked him to bag it up and bring it to upton when he has finished photographing it. 8-P

fantastic day photographing the glossy ibis :t:
just uploading to my flickr

post code for anyone thinking of going is SY79AH will take you right to the bird if its still there guys n gals :t:

Flashes 7.15 to 9.00am - 5 Ruff, 12 Curlew, 1 Dunlin and 1 Common Sandpiper. Ruff were being constantly chased by 15 to 20 Jackdaws and Dunlin flew off after again being harried by the Jackdaws.

Moors
9.15am to 2.00pm - 6 Wigeon feeding in Amy's marsh. Earlier there had been a report of 3 different birds.

Attachments

• GCGrebe.jpg
    GCGrebe.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Kingfisher.jpg
    Kingfisher.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Wigeon.jpg
    Wigeon.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 88
ringed LBBG juv at Moors on 4th Oct

Phil I don't know if you noticed this (below). I posted it on Friday 4th Oct. I had a look through a few ringing schemes but couldn't locate this one.

The large gull were mostly juv LBBGs with 15 herrings, one of the LBBG was sporting a black darvic ring on its right leg with yellow letters 'K+P'.

just a few from yesterday.
if I remember correctly Hairy Birder name the new part "Spurn" seems to fit well,
Sy V ,I agree with you long sleeves good idea what ever bit me up the arm does not need to feed till the spring8-P
Vern Quality photos.

Attachments

• 6.10.13 001.jpg
    6.10.13 001.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 6.10.13 004.jpg
    6.10.13 004.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 6.10.13 006.jpg
    6.10.13 006.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 82
Flashes 7.15 to 9.00am - 5 Ruff, 12 Curlew, 1 Dunlin and 1 Common Sandpiper. Ruff were being constantly chased by 15 to 20 Jackdaws and Dunlin flew off after again being harried by the Jackdaws.

As you know Alan, every Autumn jackdaws chase the waders on the Flashes and recently I have seen them doing it at the Moors. Initially it appears that this is a case of too much time on their hands and they are just playing. But I have seen them chase and 'attack' waders, the curlews are exempt from this malarkey as they are too big. But I once saw a common sand being savagely beaten by them, luckily it managed to escape. So I am not really sure of their true intent with these sorties. :t:

Great efforts one and all! :t:

I have been haunted by those bright yellow boots all week on Shetland and there they are staring out of the computer back at me again!! :eek!:

Those boots had more mud on them in 5 minutes at UW than in a week plus on Shetland.

Glad you had the EOW and the ST lark Phil. Made it a really good year. Here's to the next.:t:

Live update from Flashes;
Ruff 5. Snipe. Lapwing 136.
Teal 92. Shoveler 48. Little grebe 3rd flash. Plenty of mipits in front of hide.
Sailing pool; GCG. Little grebe. Tufted 6. Common sand. Grey wag.
Moors per Bob O. Wigeon 6. Pochard 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back