• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ficedula (1 Viewer)

Hung C-M, Zink RM. 2014. Distinguishing the effects of selection from demographic history in the genetic variation of two sister passerines based on mitochondrial-nuclear comparison. Heredity 113: 42-51. DOI: 10.1038/hdy.2014.9
[pdf]

Abstract:
Determining the mechanisms responsible for the distribution of genetic diversity in natural populations has occupied a central role in molecular evolution. Our study was motivated by the unprecedented observation that a widespread Eurasian flycatcher, Ficedula albicilla, exhibited no variation at the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) ND2 gene in 75 individuals sampled over a 5000-km distance. In contrast, its sister species, F. parva, had low but considerably higher levels of mtDNA variation. We assessed whether natural selection or demographic factors could explain the absence of mtDNA variation in F. albicilla. Eighteen nuclear genes were sequenced to estimate the two species’ phylogeographic histories, and for comparison to the mtDNA data. Multilocus coalescence analyses suggested that F. albicilla experienced a population expansion perhaps following a population bottleneck. Simulations based on this demographic history, however, did not replicate the extremely low level of mtDNA variation. Historical range changes based on ecological niche models also failed to explain the observed mtDNA patterns. Neutrality tests (DHEW and ML-HKA) suggested a non-neutral pattern in the mtDNA of F. albicilla. We found a transmembrane-skewed distribution of nonsynonymous substitutions between the two species, three of which caused functional change; the results implied that positive selection could have targeted mtDNA. Several lines of evidence support selection rather than demographic history as the main force influencing the patterns of mtDNA variation. Despite the influence of natural selection, many of the phylogeographic inferences derived from mtDNA were robust, including species limits and a high level of gene flow among populations within species.

Narcissus Flycatcher complex

Molecular phylogeny and systematic revision of the Ficedula narcissina complex.
L. Dong, X. Huang, M. Wei, P. Alström, U. Olsson and Y.Y. Zhang
26th International Ornithological Congress 2014, Tokyo
Dong, Wei, Alström, Huang, Olsson, Shigeta, Zhang & Zheng (in press). Taxonomy of the Narcissus Flycatcher Ficedula narcissina complex: an integrative approach using morphological, bioacoustic and multilocus DNA data. Ibis. [abstract]

Collared Flycatcher

Sirkiä, Adamík, Artemyev, Belskii, Both, Bureš, Burgess, Bushuev, Forsman, Grinkov, Hoffmann, Järvinen, Král, Krams, Lampe, Moreno, Mägi, Nord, Potti, Ravussin, Sokolov & Laaksonen (in press). Fecundity selection does not vary along a large geographical cline of trait means in a passerine bird. Biol J Linn Soc. [abstract]

Pied & Collared Flycatchers

Laaksonen, Sirkiä, Calhim, Brommer, Leskinen, Primmer, Adamík, Artemyev, Belskii, Both, Bureš, Burgess, Doligez, Forsman, Grinkov, Hoffmann, Ivankina, Král, Krams, Lampe, Moreno, Mägi, Nord, Potti, Ravussin & Sokolov (in press). Sympatric divergence and clinal variation in multiple coloration traits of Ficedula flycatchers. J Evol Biol. [abstract]

Atlas and Iberian Pied Flycatchers

I see that iberiae is still kept as a ssp of Pied Fly, even though it clearly looks visually closer to Atlas Fly. Is there any specific work going on about the position of iberian birds?

Taylor 2006 (HBW11) comments: "Race iberiae sometimes considered unwarranted, being merely an intergrade between latter [speculigera] and nominate [hypoleuca]".

A major paper on the identification of Atlas (Pied) Flycatcher Ficedula speculigera by Andrea Corso et al. is due to be published in the forthcoming issue of Dutch Birding.

The editor Arnoud B. van den Berg wrote:
One of the conclusions of the paper is that both Atlas speculigera and Iberian Pied Flycatcher F h iberiae are so variable in morphology that they can only be identified with 100% certainty by a DNA sample or by call differences.

Many thanks to Arnoud and of course to Andrea and his colleagues.

p.s. although I received this in a internal email, I thought I would share this with you since it's already near the publication date. Also, for those of you who are not subscribers, it's time to subscribe to this great birding journal who do their best to serve the WP birding community. (I think many in this forum will agree with me in this).

Iberian Pied Flycatcher

A major paper on the identification of Atlas (Pied) Flycatcher Ficedula speculigera by Andrea Corso et al. is due to be published in the forthcoming issue of Dutch Birding.

The editor Arnoud B. van den Berg wrote:
One of the conclusions of the paper is that both Atlas speculigera and Iberian Pied Flycatcher F h iberiae are so variable in morphology that they can only be identified with 100% certainty by a DNA sample or by call differences.
Go-South, 23 May 2015: Iberian Flycatcher in Morocco.
As a result, Arnoud suggests to review and reject the field records of F h iberiae on the Moroccan list.

There is only one record of Iberian Pied Flycatcher in the Moroccan Rare Birds Committee Database: a bird at Touroug on 10 April 2010 (CHM16).
The sole accepted Moroccan record was submitted by van den Berg et al, but see also the ringing recoveries discussed in...
  • van den Berg & The Sound Approach 2006. Phenology and identification of Atlas and Iberian Pied Flycatchers. Dutch Birding 28(1): 1–6.

Last edited:
Of course, for Morocco, the fact is that observers could not be sure about positively ID iberiae, as you'll read in our paper they are identical or almost so in most plumages -(but not on call and DNA - NB: however, there are no taxonomical discussion on the paper, we did not deal with this issue, as then genetic should be done with wider samples and different multiple analisy)

BUT, of course, and for sure, iberiae pass across Morocco to reach Spainish breeding grounds... so it is surely regular in Morocco but simply could not be ID for sure when in the field as for iberiae(cinereocapilla wagtails for me

BUT, of course, and for sure, iberiae pass across Morocco to reach Spainish breeding grounds...
Indeed, Andrea. It doesn't take rocket science (or even ringing recoveries!) to deduce that Spanish-breeding migrant landbirds pass through Morocco. ;)

Looking forward to your forthcoming papers - you've evidently been very busy recently. :t:

there would be also a paper on the differences in the calls by Robb in the same relevant issue of DB

indeed, Richard, very very busy:smoke:B :)B :)

other 5 new papers to come soon :eek!::eek!:8-P8-P

Pied flycatchers

there would be also a paper on the differences in the calls by Robb in the same relevant issue of DB
Corso, Janni, Viganò & Starnini 2015. Atlas Pied Flycatcher: variability of identification characters. Dutch Birding 37(3): 141–160. [Dutch summary]
(Includes 47 photos, plus two beautiful plates by Lorenzo Starnini depicting variability of speculigera.)

Robb & The Sound Approach 2015. Call identification of European Pied, Iberian Pied and Atlas Pied Flycatcher. Dutch Birding 37(3): 161–163. [Dutch summary]

Last edited:
Atlas Flycatchers in Europe

Corso, Janni, Viganò & Starnini 2015. Atlas Pied Flycatcher: variability of identification characters. Dutch Birding 37(3): 141–160. [Dutch summary]
(Includes 47 photos, plus two beautiful plates by Lorenzo Starnini depicting variability of speculigera.)

Robb & The Sound Approach 2015. Call identification of European Pied, Iberian Pied and Atlas Pied Flycatcher. Dutch Birding 37(3): 161–163. [Dutch summary]

So these articles have also implication on any already accepted Atlas Flycatchers in Europe (if the original ID was based only on phenotype).

Are there any European records of Atlas Flycatcher?
I wrote 'any' because I have seen now and then many 'possible Atlas Flycatcher in...".

Netfugl cites 2 possibles from Catalonia, and 2 in Sicilian Islands.

Tarsiger cites one more at Ventotene, off mainland Italy and one from Malta.

Edit: "Pictures 221 & 257 of the article": where?

p.s. Off-topic: while looking at the Atlas Flycatcher section at Birdguides, I noticed a beautiful bird photographed at 'Hotel Jasmina' sic. So some people seem to rely on phonetic when writing names. It's Hotel Yasmina, and Yasmina is a girl's first name. For native names, we don't pronounce J as Y but close to G, so for us Jasmina is Gasmina (but we pronounce foreign names like 'Juventus F.C.' both ways).

Last edited:
I wrote 'any' because I have seen now and then many 'possible Atlas Flycatcher in...".
Corso et al (it was going to be my bedtime reading tonight ;))...
Recently, there have been reports of putative speculigera in Europe, most notably on the southern Mediterranean islands of Italy...; in central Italy...; and in Malta... All the reports are still awaiting ratification by the Italian and Maltese rarities committees, respectively.

Are there any European records of Atlas Flycatcher?

See details and discussion for a speculigera/iberiae sighting in Catalonia on 1st May 2012 (in Spanish) at Reservoir Birds:

http://www.reservoirbirds.com/Articles/RBAR_000005.pdf

At the moment, the authors left as speculigera/iberiae based on comments by José Luis Copete and Ferran López, who have worked with both taxa and conclude they cannot be safely identified in the field.

I missed the bird for just 5 minutes...

Cheers,
Aleix Comas

Pied Flycatcher migration

Ouwehand, Ahola, Ausems, Bridge, Burgess, Hahn, Hewson, Klaassen, Laaksonen, Lampe, Velmala & Both (in press). Light-level geolocators reveal migratory connectivity in European populations of pied flycatchers Ficedula hypoleuca. J Avian Biol. [abstract]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back