• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica California Cancer disclaimer (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Does anyone have information on this disclaimer seen on eBay and amazon for some Leica bins?

"Important information
Legal Disclaimer
WARNING:� This product can expose you to chemicals including TDI, which are known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.�� For more information go to:� www.P65Warnings.ca.gov"

Thanks

Chris

Don't worry, California has warning labels all over, and they mean nothing.

I hope that explains it. Just stupid is what it is.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Iirc, the state requires the same warning on garden hoses, because of the plasticizer in the material. So Leica is not alone here.

Practically everything is allegedly known by the State of California to cause Cancer. If Leica armor is listed, probably every binocular known will eventually have the warning.

Kalifornia changed their law last year. You should be seeing it on about everything. Our corporate legal has had us plaster it all over our products.

Though I agree with the comments of not taking the warnings seriously, for the most part, I am able to determine for myself what threat there may be.
What would be the opposite of California's Prop 65? Ignorance?

I'd rather have more information and parse the nuances for myself than be deliberately lied to or left w/o potentially useful information. Playing Devil's advocate here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I agree with the comments of not taking the warnings seriously, for the most part, I am able to determine for myself what threat there may be.
What would be the opposite of California's Prop 65? Ignorance?

I'd rather have more information and parse the nuances for myself than be deliberately lied to or left w/o potentially useful information. Playing Devil's advocate here.

Labeling so broadly is not helpful.
How can regulators focus on the real bad actors when these are not differentiated from a multitude of very low risk items?

The only thing is that people see these warnings all the time even garden hoses and after a while it goes in one eye and out the other or ear. ;)It is just a way of covering their rear end.

The only thing is that people see these warnings all the time even garden hoses and after a while it goes in one eye and out the other or ear. ;)It is just a way of covering their rear end.

I hope the stickers aren't covering the rear end lenses of the binoculars, else they'll be very difficult to use!

Hasselblad stopped making the XPan cameras because of EU legislation banning lead in the solder used for the electronics.
Redesign was uneconomical.
The total amount of lead in all XPans must be minimal, and I think that exceptions should have been given, but they just stopped making them.

Considering that lead crystal glass has lots of lead, as do church roofs, I don't know how these problems should be approached.
The chemicals washed into the sea affect human fertility etc.
The Earth is ruined, but I suppose we have to start cleaning up the mess anyway.

Thorium glass lenses were destroyed by chopping them up after papers highlighting the use of thorium glass.
I think it would have been much wiser to leave them be.

There are still large numbers of watches and alarm clocks found in charity shops with radium painted dials.
The girls who painted these in Chicago died from licking the paint brushes. Their graves are still hot after almost 100 years.

A plastic fairy liquid bottle was washed up recently in an immaculate state. The price was marked in shillings and pence from the 1960s maybe. These bottles may last hundreds of years. The sea is full of plastic down to depths of miles.

It could be that warnings should state the level of risk, so we are better informed.

I took a radiation monitor on an aircraft flight and plotted the readings against height. Most interesting.
Couriers are most at risk. The ones who fly daily.

It could be that warnings should state the level of risk, so we are better informed.

I took a radiation monitor on an aircraft flight and plotted the readings against height. Most interesting.
Couriers are most at risk. The ones who fly daily.

Think the crew personnel is the most affected, they spend a lot of time aloft.
I've not seen any data on possible health hazards though, even though that really should be a concern for the industry and especially for the unions.

Think the crew personnel is the most affected, they spend a lot of time aloft.
I've not seen any data on possible health hazards though, even though that really should be a concern for the industry and especially for the unions.

The radiation risks to long-term airline pilots are well known and documented. My father, a 33 year commercial veteran with over 24,000 hrs, suffers a variety of symptoms including osteoporosis. However, since he turns 90 next month, apparently the problems haven't been too severe :)

https://www.amhsr.org/articles/bone...ial-airline-pilots-an-issue-ignored-4469.html

Last edited:
Pilots are limited to a maximum 1000 hours per year.
Cabin crew also have limits.
However, some couriers on daily duty exceed these limits.

I cannot remember my readings as height increased, but it climbs slowly at first then the curve steepens.

Military pilots flying above 40,000ft and up to 60,000ft and beyond receive higher doses, but their flight time is less than commercial pilots.

Concorde crew and passengers were more at risk at 55,000ft to 60,000ft, but the flight times were less.

The background radiation in granite countries like Finland was 2.5 times higher than in England, but some places in Cornwall have radon as a problem and special measures are needed in house building and with ventilation to prevent build up.

Some places in India, from memory are about 11 times the U.K. average background readings.

From memory, radiation workers, such as dentists, have ten times the allowed limits for the general public.
I monitored a scanning x-ray machine through a wall. the scan took a few seconds and the monitor screamed as it went past its limits.
Dentists wisely stepped away from the x-ray machine.
Nowadays doses are less.

When I was a schoolboy, shoe shops had x-ray machines, and I used to delight in seeing my x-rayed foot. There were I think no restrictions.
I wonder how much dosage the shoe salesmen and women received.

Thorium glass lenses had to be ground and polished. I have never seen a paper on how much dust the lens makers inhaled.

I had about a dozen Aero Ektar lenses under my bed for years. I am still around, but maybe a bit gaga.

Last edited:
TDI is short for toluene diisocyanate; it is one of the monomers used to make many types of polyurethanes used in mattresses, insulation foams, car dashboards etc., and apparently also the outside coating of some binoculars.
The substance by itself is very hazardous, however it reacts away in making the polyurethane and once that is fully cured the TDI has disappeared. It's a complete non-issue for the consumer, and shouldn't have been listed by Leica in my opinion.

TDI is short for toluene diisocyanate; it is one of the monomers used to make many types of polyurethanes used in mattresses, insulation foams, car dashboards etc., and apparently also the outside coating of some binoculars.
The substance by itself is very hazardous, however it reacts away in making the polyurethane and once that is fully cured the TDI has disappeared. It's a complete non-issue for the consumer, and shouldn't have been listed by Leica in my opinion.

If Leica (or any company wishing to sell any product) wishes to sell in California, they don't have much choice. Since a company can't tell much ahead of time where a product will get sold it is far less hassle to stick the California label on everything. More cost and hassle for everybody.

I agree with your stance on the labeling.

Even lead used in some glass can ...lead to the use of warning labels, I have seen such warning stickers on some binos sold in CA. Probably the warning is for those who lick the lenses of their binos instead of using a cleaning cloth.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back