• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What species have been "regulars" for you lately? (1 Viewer)

BirdGal

Just a Fledgling
Just wondering what species everyone sees in their yard/garden/feeder set up on a regular basis. I'm starting to get impatient to see the spring and summer birds as I've been staring at these on a daily basis for several months. Don't get me wrong, they're still fascinating, but I'm ready for a change too.

Here are the "usual suspects" in our neighborhood:

Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared Dove
Common Grackle
European Starling
Red Winged Blackbird
Dark Eyed Junco
Pine Siskins
American Goldfinches
Harris's Sparrow
House Sparrow
Brown headed Cowbird
American Robin
House Finch
Northern Cardinal
Carolina Wren
Blue Jay
Tufted Titmouse
Black Capped Chickadee
Downy Woodpecker
Red Bellied Woodpecker

The following have been off-and-on
Red Breasted Nuthatch
White Breasted Nuthatch
Lincoln's Sparrow
White Crowned Sparrow
Hairy Woodpecker

greenfinches greenfinches greenfinches every where!

today we had a goldcrest at the peanut feeders,todays other regulars
house sparrows
starlings[still with winter spots]
two jackdaws
one fieldfare
blackbirds
song thrush
chaffinch
dunock
blue tits
great tit

nice to notice a lot the garden birds are looking extra slinky and shiny this time of year.

matt

Common Grackle
House Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
American Robin
Northern Mocking Bird
Mourning Dove
House Finch
American Goldfinch

aubrey said:
Common Grackle
House Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
American Robin
Northern Mocking Bird
Mourning Dove
House Finch
American Goldfinch

Too many common grackels
starlings
house finches
cardinals
blue jays
mourning doves
house sparrows
american robins
red breasted nuthatches
white breasted nuthatches
downy woodpeckers
red bellied woodpecker
dark eye juncos

birds that passed thru:
northern flicker
cedar waxwing flock
goldfinch pair

BirdGal said:
I'm starting to get impatient to see the spring and summer birds as I've been staring at these on a daily basis for several months. Don't get me wrong, they're still fascinating, but I'm ready for a change too.

Glad I'm not the only one who's itching for the summer visitors to arrive!

Can't think of a huge list like the rest of you guys - not at 4.30am as I get ready for work! - but there's one particular species which I've been seeing EVERYWHERE over the past few weeks and that is Goldeneye!
Don't get me wrong - they ARE a lovely duck....they just seem to be all over the place on every stretch of water I look at....just waiting for them to turn up in my bird bath! :-O

Still very much the Winter in UK

Birdgal,

The first day of Spring was yesterday, but there has been little evidence of that here in Kent with really chill winds. The range of garden birds reflects that also;

Brambling (8+ regularly this Winter, the most I have ever seen in a garden). They have shown no signs whatsoever to return to their Scandinavian breeding grounds.

Siskin (12+)....as per Brambling, above

Goldfinch (12+)

Chaffinch 14+

Blue Tit 2

Great Tit 2

Collared Dove 10

Blackbird 2

Robin 1

Wren 1

Not so bad considering I have been to London Heathrow and back to collect friends from Sacramento....probably wishing they were back in California

Rich

BirdGal said:
Just wondering what species everyone sees in their yard/garden/feeder set up on a regular basis. I'm starting to get impatient to see the spring and summer birds as I've been staring at these on a daily basis for several months. Don't get me wrong, they're still fascinating, but I'm ready for a change too.

The regulars at the feeders today are Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin, Greenfinch, House Sparrow, Chaffinch. The Hedge Sparrows will occasionally take from the feeders, but prefer to pick up seed from the ground. Other birds seen in the garden today are a Wren, and a Song Thrush. The latter has been around for the past four days, and is a sign of spring, as they only appear in the garden at nesting time, and then disappear. A couple of Mallards, as I write, are mating on the bank of the stream. Blackbirds, Collard Doves, Wood Pigeons are in abundance and a Little Owl was on the one of the power lines when I went out at 0645.

Greenfinch x 6, robin x 2, blue tit x 2, blackbird x 2, mistle thrush x 2, dunnock x3, chaffinch x3, wood pigeon x 5, magpie x 2 seem to be my regulars.
Also visiting last week was a sparrowhawk. He was only browsing though as the feeders are situated so that he wouldn't get a clear run in on them.

Blackcaps -12
Syrian Woodpecker -2
Swallow -4
Swift -4
House Martin -3
Hoopoe -1
Kestrel -2
Sparrowhawk -1
Chiffchaff -2
Song Thrush -3
Blackbird 3
Black Redstart -3
Blue Rock Thrush -1
Collared Doves 100's

The Great Black Horde ie. Common grackles, European starlings, Brewer's blackbirds & brown-headed cowbirds with great-tailed grackles now and again.

Also white-winged doves, mourning doves, Eurasian collared doves, house sparrows, northern cardinals (pair), Carolina chickadees (pair), American robins, blue jays, house finches, downy woodpeckers & American goldfinches.

More common grackles than I've ever seen around here before! Fewer red-winged blackbirds, though. Also: white-winged doves (who have figured out how to get on the feeders!), eurasian collared doves (2), northern cardinals (2), gray catbird (1), several northern mockingbirds, monk parakeets, canary-winged parakeets, a couple of blue jays, and recently, a ruby-throat hummingbird.

I wonder if the spring will bring anything new, here...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back