• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (3 Viewers)

Warm enough to bird from the back deck this morning (wrapped in woolly layers!), so a number of flyovers and heard birds to add:
33. Ring-billed Gull
34. Mallard.
35. Northern Flicker
(which meant it was the first 5-woodpecker day of the year too.
and 36. Winter Wren Seen very close to the garden, but only heard from thus far.

Then this afternoon, temperatures up 20 degrees, shorts/t-shirts and cocktails in the hammocks. A lovely pair of 37 Eastern Pheobe calling and flying through.

Not a bad weekend all in all!

Gradually getting into this early morning birding malarkey.
38. Hermit Thrush My dawn chorus friends are back in full voice.
39. Golden-crowned Kinglet
40. Common Merganser flyover.

Last edited:
A few more birds over the weekend that showed up:

65. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
66. Hermit Thrush
67. Chipping Sparrow
68. Eastern Towhee

Still unseasonably cold - several migrants now behind schedule, but a pair of Tree Pipits present today, in nice patch for breeding ...here's hoping

76. Tree Pipit

Still unseasonably cold - several migrants now behind schedule, but a pair of Tree Pipits present today, in nice patch for breeding ...here's hoping

76. Tree Pipit

Oh no, I thought you were going to be away a bit longer to give me a (fat)chance to catch up a bit. Ah well, my reward for spending a couple of hours bent double inside a water tank cleaning mud and debris this morning came this evening, when the only bit of sunlight all day provided a beautiful sunset over the distant Jura mountains. Whilst I was admiring the colours, four Ring Ousels flew over and on up towards the mountain, I'd almost given up hope of seeing any from the garden this year but the snow has settled down to our level today, which often drives them down lower to feed.

65 Ring Ousel

Gradually getting into this early morning birding malarkey.
38. Hermit Thrush My dawn chorus friends are back in full voice.
39. Golden-crowned Kinglet
40. Common Merganser flyover.

I can see I'll have to try harder if I'm going to stay ahead, maybe I'll stop going to the coast so much!

Two more to add
49) a flyover Canada Goose
50) Two Swallows over the field next to the house.

I can see I'll have to try harder if I'm going to stay ahead, maybe I'll stop going to the coast so much!

:) Definitely catching up now spring is in the air. More birds about, and also warm enough to be outside so I can hear them too.

Fleeting visit from No 41. Ruby Crowned Kinglet this morning.

29. Hoopoe Two of them flew low across in front on me and went just over hedge on to my neighbours tree, I can still see the birds on the tree. Probably the two will stay here now for several months in my garden and neighbours garden .

Just checked last year saw one on 29 march that was earliest I've seen one.

Last edited:
TWO? that's just greedy Brenda, I don't think I'll ever see one up here.
Saw my first-ever Feral/Racing? Pigeon for the garden fly past yesterday, do the Garden listers count them? A bit like counting a budgerigar or a Peacock I'd have thought!

TWO? that's just greedy Brenda, I don't think I'll ever see one up here.
Saw my first-ever Feral/Racing? Pigeon for the garden fly past yesterday, do the Garden listers count them? A bit like counting a budgerigar or a Peacock I'd have thought!

Feral Pigeon ...why is there a question about this? Long-established self-sustaining populations widespread across the continent. Arguably a native species anyhow, just a feral form of Rock Dove. If folks are counting Red Kite in England, Pheasant almost anywhere in Europe, Ring-necked Parakeets in London, etc, then Feral Pigeon is a no-brainer.

Racing Pigeon ...ha ha ha, that is the budgerigar!

So pin the i.d., yer get your year list addition. Hazy Feral/Racing ...na sorry, it don't make the mark :)

Feral Pigeon ...why is there a question about this? Long-established self-sustaining populations widespread across the continent. Arguably a native species anyhow, just a feral form of Rock Dove. If folks are counting Red Kite in England, Pheasant almost anywhere in Europe, Ring-necked Parakeets in London, etc, then Feral Pigeon is a no-brainer.

Racing Pigeon ...ha ha ha, that is the budgerigar!

So pin the i.d., yer get your year list addition. Hazy Feral/Racing ...na sorry, it don't make the mark :)

Ah well, I'll have to get one of the local hunters to take a pot at it if I see it again so I can check it for bling, unlikely to happen as it was really 'racing' by:C
So it's stays off my list which thus remains untainted by dodgy ticks (err, apart from the friendly Pheasant over the winter.).
PS Jos, did you see the Finnish Pallid (see another thread), it must have passed close by you very recently......

Few bits and bobs moving/arriving today, despite stubborn cold northerlies refusing to let real spring in! Flock of about 80 Chaffinches contained six Bramblings, first Blackcap and Whinchat were on territory and a Bittern was booming ...

77. Bittern
78. Whinchat
79. Blackcap
80. Brambling

Haven't posted my garden list so far this year, and up to now, I'm 1 behind where I was by the end of April last year (with Little Egret, Red Kite(!) Redwing and House Martin missing from this year's list, but Golden Plover, Nuthatch and Whooper Swan on the list that weren't on by this time last year):

1 Robin
2 Starling
3 Woodpigeon
4 Carrion crow
5 Blackbird
6 Blue tit
7 Great tit
8 Nuthatch
9 Chaffinch
10 House sparrow
11 Dunnock
12 Black-headed gull
13 Magpie
14 Canada goose
15 Coal tit
16 Feral pigeon/Rock dove
17 Goldfinch
18 Collared dove
19 Golden plover
20 Bullfinch
21 Greenfinch
22 Grey heron
23 Oystercatcher
24 Siskin
25 Skylark
26 Whooper swan
27 Chiffchaff
28 Mistle thrush

Thought I heard a Blackcap on Tuesday this week as I got home, but it only warbled once, and I could not see or hear it again despite standing in the front garden for 15 minutes getting suspicious looks from the neighbours!

I'm also thinking that I should start a "Spanish garden list", as my in-laws have a house near Alicante that we visit twice a year, and the garden list there gets better every year, as the verde across the road matures!

Last edited:
I'm also thinking that I should start a "Spanish garden list", as my in-laws have a house near Alicante that we visit twice a year, and the garden list there gets better every year, as the verde across the road matures!

Yes, ofcourse. It would be interesting. I think we doesn't have any Spanish gardens included yet.

At a morning I thought I heard Redwing sings. But I couldn't see it. It repeat the song once again and then nothing (Thus Chaffinch, Robin, Blackbird, Fielfare and Tits). So there is chance that it could be a Starling... :-C

Yes, ofcourse. It would be interesting. I think we doesn't have any Spanish gardens included yet.

At a morning I thought I heard Redwing sings. But I couldn't see it. It repeat the song once again and then nothing (Thus Chaffinch, Robin, Blackbird, Fielfare and Tits). So there is chance that it could be a Starling... :-C

Are Starlings uncommon in your neck of the woods Warixenjalka?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back