• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (1 Viewer)

Well, the local poet mentions Curlew and the Skylark and the Cormorant, hope you've got those on you Llareggub Garden List too!
"Listen. It is night moving in the streets, the processional
salt slow musical wind in Coronation Street and Cockle Row,
it is the grass growing on Llaregyb Hill, dewfall, starfall,
the sleep of birds in Milk Wood."

There's lovely!

1 C and snow today! Bah humbug, thought it was supposed to be spring not Christmas!

Still, one brave (aka stupid) Swallow arrived today, plus the first Lesser Whitethroat of the season. Even better, one Kestrel (didn't see at all last year, but just about annual on my land in recent years) and, even better again, the return of both Water Rail and Moorhen (both recorded for the first time ever in 2013 and 2014 respectively, then both breeding last year).

85. Common Kestrel
86. Water Rail
87. Moorhen
88. Swallow
89. Lesser Whitethroat

Last edited:
Same here in Bulgaria Andy - Selska lyantnavitsa for Swallow and gradska lyatnavitsa for House Martin.
Chris

In Finland they are "Fork Swallow" and "Eave(s) Swallow". You might guess which one is which.

Couple of sightings from the weekend:

#31. Sparrow Hawk - one circling in sky
#32. Mute Swan - one flyover very low

Oh, and I almost forget: Snowing. Fortunately the snow melted right away.

Last edited:
Well, the local poet mentions Curlew and the Skylark and the Cormorant, hope you've got those on you Llareggub Garden List too!
"Listen. It is night moving in the streets, the processional
salt slow musical wind in Coronation Street and Cockle Row,
it is the grass growing on Llaregyb Hill, dewfall, starfall,
the sleep of birds in Milk Wood."

There's lovely!

No Curlews strangely - just half a dozen Whimbrel.
Lesser Whitethroat and Sedge Warblers near here this morning.

Last edited:
Hmm....warblers still haven't made it up our hill. Temperatures dropped to -3C again overnight though, so can't say that I blame them!
Saturday saw the arrival of 45 Blue-throated Vireo, one of my favourites. They pop in on migration in spring and autumn. This one sang so clearly I heard him from in the house and he reminded me to get outside.

Then the start of this week has seen two new sparrows on the garden list 46 White-throated sparrow and this morning a lone 47 Chipping Sparrow. Both common birds locally, but don't usually make it up here. I can only think it is the cheaper mix of seed I bought recently (mixed seed for finches, rather than pure niger), encouraging the ground feeders. Quality isn't everything!

ETA: 10 minutes later, 48 Yellow rumped warbler pops past the window!
ETAA: and a very vocal 49 Pine Warbler.
Now quite intrigued to see what visitor is going to bring me to a half century.

Last edited:
Saw several Swifts on our way home yesterday - but it was 1c as we neared home - & it snowed last night and today again. Snowing as I write.
Not expecting to see any new migrants today!

Round here Bitterns count as great year birds, let along garden birds! Congratulations.

Yes, good year birds. Although, you can locate one around here fairly easy, they can be quite secretive birds.

Quite a few migrants have showed up over this last week...

77. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
78. Fish Crow
79. Louisiana Waterthrush - sang a few times along brook and moved on.
80. Sharp-shinned Hawk
81. Gray Catbird
82. Black-throated Blue Warbler - showed up April 26th. Fairly early for upstate, NY! Nice singing male that gave me some great looks.
83. Pine Warbler
84. Swamp Sparrow
85. Warbling Vireo
86. Barn Swallow
87. Eastern Meadowlark
88. Ovenbird
89. Black-and-white Warbler
90. Palm Warbler - New yard bird #110
91. Least Flycatcher

Last edited:
28 April, good sunshine fro the morning, nice flush of butterflies, two additions to the year list two - arrival of Pied Flycatchers, males already at nestboxes and Wood Warbler. Another Kestrel too.

90. Pied Flycatcher
91. Wood Warbler

While working from the computer this evening I was distracted by a bird fluttering around out the window. Got the bins and found out that it was a Warbling Vireo. I then noticed that there was actually quite a few birds moving around. So I scanned through the many Yellow-rumped Warblers, Black-and-white Warblers, Warbling Vireos and noticed a nice #92 Blue-winged Warbler! It was a pleasant surprise!

1 C and snow today! Bah humbug, thought it was supposed to be spring not Christmas!

Still, one brave (aka stupid) Swallow arrived today, plus the first Lesser Whitethroat of the season. Even better, one Kestrel (didn't see at all last year, but just about annual on my land in recent years) and, even better again, the return of both Water Rail and Moorhen (both recorded for the first time ever in 2013 and 2014 respectively, then both breeding last year).

85. Common Kestrel
86. Water Rail
87. Moorhen
88. Swallow
89. Lesser Whitethroat

We're not too far apart Jos but Kestrels are common here, we have no Coots or Moorhens at all.

What's the status of Penduline Tit there? We found a male at a nest a couple of years ago but not since and we speculated that we must be on the very Northenmost part of their range?

No Pied Fly yet and they are almost a week late but Common Snipe calling, will be in display over our home soon as last year.

A couple of Siskins have re-appered after a total absence last year. The previous year they were the commonest bird at the feeder but zero last year, odd.

Andy

Last edited:
We're not too far apart Jos but Kestrels are common here.

In Lithuania, Kestrels are most common in the area near the Baltic Sea, but I still wouldn't call them very common there. I am in the east of the country and they seem to be becoming more regular on my land - only four individuals seen in the first seven years on my land, but nine individuals, plus a breeding pair and subsequent youngsters in the five years since (including this year).

Total records are as following:

2004. None.

2005. One on 15 August, two individuals on 18 September.

2006. One on 20 August.

2007-2010. None

2011. One on 25 August.

2012. One on 11 August.

2013. Three individuals on 14 April.

2014. Two on 3 May, then a pair settling to breed locally, fledging three young in early August. From this pair, birds remained in the area until September.

2015. None

2016. One present on 24 April, another on 28 April.

What's the status of Penduline Tit there?

Moderately common in suitable habitats, eg fish pools. Never seen them on my land, but it is a species at the top of my list of predicted species - I have a lot of very suitable habitat - which is getting better and better each year for this species.

Even today (as almost every day every spring), I spent a while hunting through the wetland edges to see if one had dropped in ...closest I got today was a pair if Blue Tits hanging off bulrushes collecting nesting material.

Good raptor day today, spent quite a while sat on my new tower built specially for the purpose - one male Montagu's Harrier, three Marsh Harriers, one Osprey, one Lesser Spotted Eagle, one Black Kite, four Sparrowhawks, about eight Common Buzzards.

Also late geese still migrating north.

92. Black Kite.

Quite warm too, best butterfly day of the season - 11 species.

Last edited:
Our Pied Flycatcher has literally just returned, taken up position at his nest box and is practicing his dance moves already.

Andy

Last edited:
Russia - Tree Pipits here now and Wood Sandpiper back on it's breeding ground from last year.

Two skeins of Geese over, both mixed flocks, Greater White-fronted and Barnacle.

Common Lizards made their first appearance of the year today, under the corrugated board I put down and where I get regular adders, they might want to re-think that!

Andy

51.Yesterday a flyover Cormorant, the first for many years and only seen as I took a coffee break outside.

This morning two Jackdaws in the garden were No.52 and this evening my earliest Swift was No. 53.

One more than last years total and 8 months left.

One more than last years total and 8 months left.

Eek! Good job you are going to be spotting birds in my garden for a bit, or I'd never catch you up! ;)

Interestingly of my 50 garden ticks so far, I think there are only 3 that I didn't see in April as well as earlier in the year. There is every chance that you'll match my garden total so far when you visit!

Eek! Good job you are going to be spotting birds in my garden for a bit, or I'd never catch you up! ;)

Interestingly of my 50 garden ticks so far, I think there are only 3 that I didn't see in April as well as earlier in the year. There is every chance that you'll match my garden total so far when you visit!

I think you should get another 8, maybe 10 before I arrive. In that time I might get another 2 unless I get lucky with a chance flyover.
I predict you will be ahead by the end of May.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back