• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (4 Viewers)

Return of Savi's Warbler to my reeds - first ever singing last spring, one today in same place again in song. Bittern still booming, Moorhen in their somewhere.

93. Cuckoo
94. Savi's Warbler
95. Sedge Warbler
96. Red-backed Shrike

Nice weekend:

Friday
#33. Osprey flyover

Saturday (rain allday)
#34. Brambling female. I saw her couple of times when she visits priefly at under the feeder with several Chaffinches.

Sunday (sunny)
#35. Song Thrush sang nearby.
#36. Redstart couple checked nest box. Maybe same couple which are bred on the same nest box before.
#37. Wryneck shouts from neighbours tree.
#38. Raven, flyover with harassed by crow.

This morning
#39. Barnacle Goose, 14 flyovers.

Out a couple of 100 mts from my house last night & saw a Moorhen on the ponds there.
It only takes a very quiet morning and a loud "preep". I'm ever hopeful.

I've been playing this game too! Still waiting for the song sparrows by the lake to catch the wind blowing in the right direction. Northern Waterthrushes arrived in the area this weekend too, and they have some powerful lungs too. Good luck!

And me . . . there's usually Song Thrush and Chiffchaff singing within earshot of the house, but not this year yet. Failing this, should get Chiffy with post-juvenile dispersal in Aug, and Songy on migration in late Sept.

Two new migrants for me this morning:

59) Lesser Whitethroat in the hedge
60) Hobby fast through north....like to think is destined for Holmfirth, H.

Just got back from a couple of hours driving lesson with the girlfriend to hear and then see 8 Swifts circling overhead. Summer!

Great. I have been given two Swift boxes by SOS, Dan. They have been up for two years but no takers (apart from Starlings!) so far. I'm playing the tape....fingers crossed for me everyone that the Swifts will decide they are Des Res. Hope so.

Duly crossed.
When I was a lad we had Swifts (as well as Starlings & Sparrows) in our loft.
I used to crawl into the claustrophobic dusty edges to see the nests - amazing other world.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back