• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (1 Viewer)

Rather good one today - my third ever Hoopoe for my land, one singing this morning.

101. Hoopoe

Great you seen three Hoopoes on your land and a Golden Oriole !
Have two Hoopoe since couple weeks and usually here for some months, last year an Oriole but it didnt stay.

Last edited:
Red crown ,yellow body, grey wings bird about the size of a finch , seen yesterday.
Any ideas ?
I have been asked about this bird by one of my nurses, she does live near a zoo.

Last edited:
Brenda, I can't get to my mind any European bird who has red crown and yellow body... Firstly I thought Firecrest, but it is too small - and the colours doesn't match anyway. Next come to mind the female Blackcap. But she isn't yellow... Where it was and did you see it properly?

At the same time in Finland: #44. Little Gull - This was a first time I manage to see this beautiful gull from my garden. B :)

Came to my mind that, after all that Brendan bird can be female Blackcap, which is stained herself in the flower of willow (or something similar).

Brenda, I can't get to my mind any European bird who has red crown and yellow body... Firstly I thought Firecrest, but it is too small - and the colours doesn't match anyway. Next come to mind the female Blackcap. But she isn't yellow... Where it was and did you see it properly?

At the same time in Finland: #44. Little Gull - This was a first time I manage to see this beautiful gull from my garden. B :)

Thanks for your help . The only bird I've seen in my garden with a red crown is the female black cap. But yes as you say she isnt yellow!
The nurses husband saw the bird flying , they live about 15 minutes drive from here. I think must have got out of the Zoo !

I arrived home this evening to find 54 a Pied Wagtail calling from the top of the roof.

Ooh, I think I'm actually ahead of you for the first time this year Dad!

55. Black-and-White Warbler
56. Black-throated Blue Warbler
57. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
58. Magnolia Warbler
59. Ruby throated Hummingbird - giving a siskin a piece of his mind!

Sadly the mosquitoes have also returned. Birding through the bugs from now on.

Ooh, I think I'm actually ahead of you for the first time this year Dad!

55. Black-and-White Warbler
56. Black-throated Blue Warbler
57. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
58. Magnolia Warbler
59. Ruby throated Hummingbird - giving a siskin a piece of his mind!

Sadly the mosquitoes have also returned. Birding through the bugs from now on.
Ok, I'll admit I'm defeated, no chance of catching you now. I have added one more though. I saw a Carrion Crow on the trail camera last week and realised I hadn't added one to the list. I saw a couple this afternoon in the flesh so that's 55.

Are the mosquitoes early this year? I only remember seeing their larvae in May last time I was there.

Are the mosquitoes early this year? I only remember seeing their larvae in May last time I was there.

Yep, everything is early. But at least it means the incoming early birds have something to eat.

Pre-bug garden watch early this morning yielded:

60. Belted Kingfisher. Very high flyover, thankfully so noisy I couldn't miss him.
61. Cape-May Warbler
62. Black-throated Green Warbler.

Migration over the last week in the yard... As you can see by the below list I added a couple new birds for the year ;)

93. Yellow-throated Vireo
94. Wood Thrush
95. Blackburnian Warbler
96. Black-throated Green Warbler
97. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
98. Great Crested Flycatcher
99. House Wren
100. Veery
101. Hooded Warbler
102. American Redstart
103. Yellow Warbler
104. Chestnut-sided Warbler
105. Canada Warbler
106. Scarlet Tanager
107. Bobolink
108. Baltimore Oriole
109. Osprey
110. Eastern Kingbird
111. Red-eyed Vireo
112. Cape May Warbler
113. Indigo Bunting
114. Nashville Warbler
115. Common Yellowthroat
116. Wilson's Warbler
117. Eastern Screech-Owl
118. Winter Wren

Sadly, things will start slowing up soon...

Well, five days later having not seen a glimpse on my local searches, a

Hobby (72)

came streaking over at high speed this morning.

Well, five days later having not seen a glimpse on my local searches, a

Hobby (72)

came streaking over at high speed this morning.

Well done with the Hobby H!.....seem to be stagnating at this end, must try harder, a recurring comment on my school reports from the distant past.

Yesterday in the early evening I was lounging in a hammock in peace and quiet, when I noticed on the side of my eye, that some bird landed two meters away from me. I turned my head in the direction of the bird lazily assuming seeing tit or Chaffinch. What!? No bells ringing... Then the bird turned slightly and I saw a glimpse of sparkling blue breast: #42. Bluethroat!
I never - even my wildest dreams - have imagined that migrating Bluethroat would landed to my garden. Bird moves a little farther away, and soon I saw it front side in full - And what an stunner! svecica-male in his full breeding plumage. But as soon as he has come, he has gone too.

Little later: #43. Pied Flycatcher singing male.

A truly superb find Warixenjalka. :t:

Migration over the last week in the yard... As you can see by the below list I added a couple new birds for the year ;)

Sadly, things will start slowing up soon...

That last week is the equivalent of my first three months of the year!

63. Magnolia Warbler
64. Warbling Vireo
65. Bay-breasted Warbler
66. Chestnut-sided Warbler.

Nothing special... only:
#45. Eurasian Buzzard - flyover
#46. Common Swift - several circled above garden (I wonder where all Swallows are?)
#47. Thrush Nightingale - song
#48. Common Tern - flyover
#49. Arctic Skua - flyover (my first sighting from my garden, my first sighting in Finland and my first sighting on this planet! So nothing special at all...) B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back