• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Blog for Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Ecuadorrebel

Writer, Photographer, Guide
I have lived in Quito for over 10 years and have recently retired, so my days are spent seeking out and photographing the birds throughout the country. I decided to start a blog about my exploits as I check out not only the well known birding areas such as Mindo and Yanacocha, but also the lesser known areas and those places that are seldom if ever visited by tourists. I would appreciate anyone checking out what I have posted so far and providing feedback on how I can improve the site. You can find the blog at http://birdsofecuador.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Looks interesting and I think could provide a useful resource to anyone birding Ecuador. I was there a few years ago and would have found detailed birding sites very useful.
I shall follow your progress with interest

Thanks for the feedback. I just got back from Yanacocha and will be adding this to the blog. It was a beautiful day up there with lots of activity.

Steve

Keep blogging....an extremely useful resource as Ecuador has so many birds and ecosystems that the more 'ease of information' out there, the better off we will all be when visiting Ecuador, jim

Great blog Steve. I wish there was a blog like this when I visited Ecuador a couple years ago. I bet it could have made my trip even better. It great to know about less visited places.
I just started a blog like yours for Chile a couple weeks ago and I see a few things in yours that would be a good improvement to use in mine. Thanks
Cheers

Excellent blog. As a supplement to what you are already doing, would it be possible that you could also add something to the BF Opus location section?

For example, there was no entry for the Yanacocha Reserve at the moment (we only have about 5 locations in the Ecuador section). I went ahead and made an entry for the site with just the headings, hoping that someone would add some details (if you do, replace the {{stub}} code with {{incompletelocation}})

For example, you yourself have copyright to the access details given in the blog; if you copy/paste that to the opus entry it would be OK, but if I did that, it would be violation of your copyright.

Cheers
Niels

A reader can certainly see that in the highlands of Ecuador...the weather is a constant factor. It appears you start out with excellent weather but as the day progresses (even a few hours) and the weather changes rapidly. Keep up the blogs... Love the picture of the Turquoise Jay!...jim

Excellent blog. As a supplement to what you are already doing, would it be possible that you could also add something to the BF Opus location section?

For example, there was no entry for the Yanacocha Reserve at the moment (we only have about 5 locations in the Ecuador section). I went ahead and made an entry for the site with just the headings, hoping that someone would add some details (if you do, replace the {{stub}} code with {{incompletelocation}})

For example, you yourself have copyright to the access details given in the blog; if you copy/paste that to the opus entry it would be OK, but if I did that, it would be violation of your copyright.

Cheers
Niels

Thanks for the feedback Niels. As a matter of fact I was just looking at the Opus this morning and was thinking the same thing. I will have to do a little studying on how to work in that area. Other than a couple of lodges there isn't much on the best birding locations. That will be one of my projects as I continue my blog. Thanks again

Great blog Steve. I wish there was a blog like this when I visited Ecuador a couple years ago. I bet it could have made my trip even better. It great to know about less visited places.
I just started a blog like yours for Chile a couple weeks ago and I see a few things in yours that would be a good improvement to use in mine. Thanks
Cheers

Thanks for the comments Eric. I checked out you blog and it looks great. I am still learning the ins and outs of the blogspot and hope to improve as I go. Good luck.

A reader can certainly see that in the highlands of Ecuador...the weather is a constant factor. It appears you start out with excellent weather but as the day progresses (even a few hours) and the weather changes rapidly. Keep up the blogs... Love the picture of the Turquoise Jay!...jim

Thanks Jim, yes weather can play a big factor in birding Ecuador. As we go into the coming months rain is going to play a big factor. Although you will probably experience sun every morning you will generally have a good shower around 2:00 or 3:00 every afternoon.

Steve

Great blog! I look forward to future posts. I do my research in eastern Ecuador and every time I go I try to visit some other areas of the country, and your blog will be an invaluable resource.

Thanks for the feedback Niels. As a matter of fact I was just looking at the Opus this morning and was thinking the same thing. I will have to do a little studying on how to work in that area. Other than a couple of lodges there isn't much on the best birding locations. That will be one of my projects as I continue my blog. Thanks again

Great!

It may look a little daunting, but it is actually not too bad once you get started. Don't get caught up in thinking "I need to have all that information ready", instead think "I can add this now, and maybe some more another day".

Niels

Great!

It may look a little daunting, but it is actually not too bad once you get started. Don't get caught up in thinking "I need to have all that information ready", instead think "I can add this now, and maybe some more another day".

Niels

Thanks for the encouragement Niels. My goal is to visit at least one birding area each week. Some may be well know but others may not be known at all. As I visit the areas I will try to add them to the Opus. We will see how it goes.

You can place "finders" or 'pins' onto Google Maps....that way the coordinates would show and location. Not so much of individual birds for that would change tremendously but of locales.... ? jim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back