• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (1 Viewer)

Thanks Melanie,
I'd have thought it would get more pre publication, promotion than this though, non of my usual book suppliers have any mention of it.

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

I would be curious to know if you could tell us anything about Birds of Brazil by Zimmer or Birds of Argentina by Pearman. Are both still scheduled for publication?

Birds of Argentina - this is being wrapped up now. The plates are being laid out. It's down to publish end of next year. I know it's been pushed back and back (for at least as long as I've worked for Bloomsbury, which stands at 16 years!) but this time it really is coming out.

Birds of Brazil - this one is actually a Princeton-originated title.

Thanks, Jim

Birds of Argentina - this is being wrapped up now. The plates are being laid out. It's down to publish end of next year. I know it's been pushed back and back (for at least as long as I've worked for Bloomsbury, which stands at 16 years!) but this time it really is coming out

Thanks, Jim

That's good news! :t:
I haveBirds of Argentina ordered and pre-paid on Bookdepository since 2010, when it's publication was supposedly imminent!!.......

Birds of Argentina - this is being wrapped up now. The plates are being laid out. It's down to publish end of next year. I know it's been pushed back and back (for at least as long as I've worked for Bloomsbury, which stands at 16 years!) but this time it really is coming out.

Thanks, Jim

Indeed it will be excellent to finally see this work finished. Can you provide any more information about the final format - one volume or two?

Never happened. But it did in fact morph into this:

Larks of the World by Paul Donald and Per Alström
Illustrated by Faansie Peacock and Bill Zetterström

which is close to completion. The plates are sensational ...

This publishes in November next year.

It'll be good to see Faansie Peacock's consummate artwork reaching a wider audience. It makes me hope that he might just be persuaded to revisit his superbly illustrated, uniquely well-designed and extraordinarily informative guide to South Africa's waders so it could be revised and adapted for European/American readers. In my view in a crowded field, it's by far the best book on waders available today. His book on South African LBJs bodes well for his illustrations in the forthcoming guide.

Google Books (https://books.google.com/books/about/Birds_of_Argentina_Volumes_1_And_2.html?id=JZ0ZQwAACAAJ shows it as a two-volume set due July 23, 2020. So later is more plausible?

Thanks, Jim

I bumped into one of the artists for the Brazil book recently. It sounds like it is still some way off.

While speaking of Brazil books has anyone heard more about Bret Whitney’s Brazil book? I’ve not heard much about it in some time.

Larks of the World by Paul Donald and Per Alström
Illustrated by Faansie Peacock and Bill Zetterström

which is close to completion. The plates are sensational ...

This publishes in November next year.

After seeing some plates, I can only agree! :t: And Faansies and Bill's plates work extremely well together! Really look forward to this publication!

I'm afraid this book has been abandoned for some time.

Sad to hear that. I was under the impression that this was a title that Shirihai and Bretagnolle had been working on for a very long time as part of their tubenose project and I was really looking forward to seeing the final product.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back