• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (1 Viewer)

A great day for Patrick at the Cap with 16 Honey Buzzard, 7 Eleonora’s Falcons and 4 Marsh Harrier.
Patrick has some super photos so I hope he shares them here.
Mike

Thanks for your reply Mike.
My husband and I are staying in Pollenca for a few weeks. I will post sightings during that time.
Sightings today
Llenaire @ 1030; red kite over, stone curlew

Albufera 1130-1530
New hide opposite visitor centre; 2 glossy ibis, 12 shoveler, 25 marbled duck, 3 green shank, 1 osprey, 1 great white egret, 1 snipe
Sa roca hide; 5 Kentish plover
Es ras hide; 2 northern wheatear, 1 kingfisher, 1 snipe
Es ciboller ll hide; 14 spotted red shank, 8 green shank, 1 kingfisher,

We had really good views of osprey from a number of places in the park today - assuming it was the same bird. Serin and cettis seen well during walk around.

Quick visit to Albuferata produced, Great White Egrets 3, Flamingos 10, Greenshank 3, Green Sand, plus the regulars.
Up to Mortix produced Griffon Vultures, a group of 18 followed by another 9 and Black Vultures 11, all heading east, Booted Eagles 2, Ravens 5, Firecrest, and Wren's 2 still quite rare here I believe.
Steve.

Cheers Mike,
Will post photos of the Scops and any other interesting ones including one's of one of the Wren's i just about managed to capture before they moved on.
Steve.

Hello!
a Red-backed Shrike was seen yesterday at s'Albufereta Reserve by Toni Pons.
:t:

Regards,
Cristina.

Today at the Cap started early as usual but with strong easterly wind and rain.
After a good soaking, the weather cleared and we were treated to a constant passage of migrants.
Over 60 Balearic shearwaters were close inshore going east.
Also a good number of Scopoli’s shearwaters.
11 Hobby came through, a personal record.
5 Marsh Harrier
6 Honey Buzzard including a smart pale bird.
8 Migrant Common Kestrel
2 Eleonora’s Falcons
A few groups of Common Starling
610 Barn Swallows
4 Turtle dove
Sadly no Bee-eaters but I can’t really complain.
Mike

Had a walk up the fishermen’s track at Cala san Vicenc this morning. Highlight was a group of 3 vultures, in silhouette and overcast sky couldn’t decide between black and griffon. Blue rock thrush around on walk up. 2 kestrels hunting and a single raven

Sightings were few yesterday:
Up to the entrance at Terenelles; fire crest; blue tit

Wood to the left of Cala Sant Vicenc ; 4 firecrest; distant views of blue rock thrush and raven

Today’s sightings:
Albufera 1100-16.30
Sa roca hide: 3 dunlin; 2 Curley sandpipers; 1 avocet
Es ras hide; kingfisher; 1 snipe; 8 kentish plover; 1 lapwing
Ses pardes hide: 8 pairs gadwall; 1 ferruginous duck
2nd bridge next to turning for ciboller hides; little bittern
Observation tower; kingfisher; great crested grebe; greenfinch; Reed warbler- heard

Apparently the passage of Falcons continued apace after I left the Cap de Ses Salines this morning.
As far as I can make out, the totals were:
135 Common Kestrel
15 Honey Buzzard
13 Marsh Harrier
16 Hobby
20 Eleonora’s
1 Osprey
1 Montagu’s Harrier
1 Red-footed Falcon

It was dark and raining so many of the birds have been identified in retrospect from photos.
Mike

I have checked passatge 5 on the approach road to the Cap de Ses Salines every time I have been to the Cap but as yet there is no sign of the Rock sparrows which have been present for the last few years, maybe they are a bit late but I hope they show up.
Obviously I will post if they are seen.
Mike

Salbufera today,
Ferruginous duck, Moustashed Warbler, Little Bittern, Little Stints 2, Curlew Sands 2, Ringed Plovers 12, the most I have seen in one group, Garganey 2.
Sillot, Nightjars, at least 3. Great meeting Kevin again and great chat with Sally and Roger.
Steve.

Yesterday palma to the hotel lagotel over looking s albufera Marsh. 7 Red kites along the way, 1 Booted Eagle, campanet caves a Black Vulture.
This am from 6th floor of Lagotel, 14 Flamingos, 1 purple heron, probable Honey Buzzard, Common kestrel, osprey, Great white egret, water rail and a kingfisher so far.

4 raptors just gone east over the power station.
2 Honey Buzzard, male Marsh harrier and a pale phase Booted Eagle.
3 Griffon Vulture
2 Raven
1 peregrine.

Last edited:
Walked up to the gates at Ternelles today. Good light and clear skies. Fairly close range views of a group of 3 griffon and 1 black vulture. Distant booted eagle and possible peregrine rounded off the walk which is becoming a regular Sunday morning for us

Walked up to the gates at Ternelles today. Good light and clear skies. Fairly close range views of a group of 3 griffon and 1 black vulture. Distant booted eagle and possible peregrine rounded off the walk which is becoming a regular Sunday morning for us

Did our regular Sunday morning walk up to the gates at Ternelles. Good light and clear sky made excellent viewing conditions. A group of 3 griffon and 1 black vulture seen at fairly close range. Possible peregrine, a booted eagle and a hoopoe made an enjoyable start to the day

A delightful morning at the Cap spent in the company of Steve and Kevin. There were also seven locals.
The day went well with good numbers of both Honey Buzzard and Marsh Harrier.
Common Kestrel went through and some Eleonora’s Falcons too.
We all left around midday very happy at the numbers seen.
As I left I said I hoped I wasn’t missing a grand day with more Honey Buzzard.
As I drove up the road, Juanjo had a group of eight but I left him to it.
Then they came. Groups of 22, 30, 11, 35, 14, 25, and too many more to list.
I am waiting for the totals but I think they will be mightily impressive for this Island.
I hope also some of the photographers will post some of the larger groups. It’s an amazing spectacle.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Sorry no pictures of the large groups. It was indeed very confusing as a lot of the Buzzards turned around as the southerly winds picked up a bit in the afternoon. I suspect a few of them could end up spending the night locally and depart tomorrow as the prediction is for northerlies. Shame I can't make it but the locals will be there at 7:30.
Attached a few of the birds of today. The red-footed falcon showed up after you left.
No matter how many photos of juvenile Honey Buzzards I have gathered, I never cease to be amazed at the beauty and variation of their plumage.

Attachments

• _1DB4528.JPG
    _1DB4528.JPG
    520.3 KB · Views: 72
  • _1DB4605.JPG
    _1DB4605.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 67
  • _1DB4243.JPG
    _1DB4243.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 69
  • _1DB4214.JPG
    _1DB4214.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 69
  • _1DB4363.JPG
    _1DB4363.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 64
Great morning Mike with you Kevin and all the locals, they are a great crowd and very friendly.
Lovely photos again Patrick.
Regards,
Steve. The

Just seen 2 Nightjar on the road to the depordeva. Well over 50 yellow wagtails, 1 woodchat shrike, 3 whinchat, 1 northern wheatear, lots of stone curlew. Flock of starling.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back