• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (7 Viewers)

2. Robin
3.House Sparrow
4. Blue tit
5. Great tit
6. Black bird
7. Magpie
8. Red kite
9. Collared dove
10. Long tailed tit .
Seen three this morning at feeders . They were not here yesterday I've been looking several times a day as arrive about now in my garden . One of my favourite small birds .

This pm's new birds:

Goldfinch
Heron
Kestrel
Redwing
Rook
Great-spotted Woodpecker
BRAMBLING

The last was in the form of four flocks each of c.30, all heading south up the valley, low. An excellent bird !

And just now

Wren: two going to roost, playing together in a way I never seen before.

Last edited:
Today was my first day listing 2017,

Flyovers: Legret, Grey Heron, the 5 Gull species, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Common Buzzard, Starling, Mistle Thrush, Green Woodpecker, Feral Pigeon and Collared Dove.

In garden: Siskin, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Nuthatch, Great Spot., Magpie, Jay, Robin, Dunnock, Wood Pigeon, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Blackbird, Redwing, RNParakeet and Tawny Owl....with pride of place going to Stock Dove! (not one but 2!!) only the 2nd ever occurence of this species in the garden no.33

Attachments

• P1420243.jpeg  Stock Dove 1..jpeg
    P1420243.jpeg Stock Dove 1..jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
At home in daylight a bit today:-
7 Herring Gull
8 Lesser Black-backed Gull
9 Feral Pigeon
10 Collared Dove
11 Jackdaw
12 Blue Tit
13 Great Tit
14 Starling
15 Goldfinch

All the best

Hi Sue,

Great to see you on board (not on board!) this year - are you landlocked for the whole year?

Happy New Year to you - how's things?

H
Hi H, Happy New Year to You too. Yes, except for possible quick visits to Peregrine (still in Mexico), pretty much locked into the old folks home.

Four more to add from yesterday.
20 Black-headed Gull a dozen feeding in fields.
21 Skylark at least 50 in the field next to garden.
22 Red Kite only my second record from the garden.
23 Starling a single flyover.

Just the two for me...a superb (quite scarce now unfortunately) male Greenfinch and flyover Mallard. 34 & 35. I think tomorrow might be good in the UK for wader/waterfowl...with -6 forecast overnight, might just stir things up!

Cheers

A move from town to the country should see me taking part properly this year ... will post up in due course when I take the time to work out what I've actually seen.

A Firecrest on the 30th Dec and a bit of a surprise on the 31st with a Water Rail (!) pootling about on the drive beside the car were both just a day or two too early ... bah!!!

Merry New Year all ...

1. Dark-eyed Junco
2. American Goldfinch
3. House Finch
4. Downy Woodpecker
5. Red-bellied woodpecker
6. House Sparrow
7. Northern Cardinal
8. Black-capped Chickadee
9. Carolina Wren
10. Blue Jay
11. White-breasted Nuthatch
12. American Robin

But Baby it's cold outside

Morning all,
Snow overnight, but not a lot. More birds dashing about though, one decided to fly into our kitchen window and lay prostrate on the bench below, I picked it up and cuddled it in my jacket for 5 minutes and it seemed OK, but on release it promptly stuck itself to the house,(see photo, itobviously decided it was too cold!). So I popped it in my wooly hat for 10 minutes inside before going trying again. Happy ending, this time it had a quick look around and flew off to the nearest tree
(Thinks........ must check inside the hat before I next put it on in case I've received a present :eek!:).

28 Great spotted Woodpecker
29 (Eurasian) Treecreeper
30 Bullfinch

Attachments

• House guest.jpg
    House guest.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Well, a particularly feeble start to the year for the garden list! New Years Day was particularly quiet, with 4 or 5 of the usual, "daily" garden species completely absent. Anyway, for what it's worth...

New Year's Day
1. Starling (heard in their loft roost about 4am NYD)
2. Dunnock
3. Carrion crow
4. Blackbird
5. Black-headed gull
6. Woodpigeon
7. Robin
8. Magpie

2nd January
9. Blue tit

4th January
10. Coal tit
11. House sparrow

5th January
12. Wren
13. Great tit

Every year, I wonder how on earth I will make it into the mid/high 40s for my garden list, but I always seem to. Although I think I will be pushing it to get any new garden lifers this year, but you never know, as I've always added at least one new species to the garden list each of the 7 years we've lived here (garden life list currently standing at 64!)

Last edited:
Buzzard
Stock Dove
feral pigeon
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Fieldfare

and today, singles of each of:

Greenfinch
Great Tit
Pied Wagtail
Long-tailed Tit

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back