• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (6 Viewers)

Today all flyovers : Song Thrush, Long-tailed Tit, Sprawk, 2 Grey-lag and 2 Mandarin...40...Methinks probably the last multiple of (5) this Winter?

A couple of additions from yesterday (4th January):-
16. Magpie
17. Goosanders - two drakes over (a regular January occurrence but the first of the winter)

All the best

January 1st

1 Robin resident attack bird
2 Herring Gull
3 Blackbird
4 Song Thrush
5 Magpie
6 Collared Dove
7 Woodpigeon
8 Tawny Owl h

January 2nd

9 Wren
10 Goldfinch
11 Redwing
12 Buzzard
13 Rook
14 Jackdaw
15 Pheasant h
16 Bullfinch
17 Grey Heron
18 Green Woodpecker
19 Woodcock 3 over at dusk
20 Barn Owl

January 3rd

21 Goldcrest
22 Blue Tit
23 Great Tit
24 Long-tailed Tit
25 House Sparrow h

January 4th

26 Dunnock
27 Kestrel
28 Jay
29 Raven
30 Water Rail still present in the bramble/blackthorns
31 Meadow Pipit
32 Chaffinch
33 Carrion Crow

First two, then a single flyover Cormorants this am. Half my last years list seen by yesterday! Now the "daily grind"....41.

Some good garden birds from everyone already,I don't think Dunnock will be coming up here for a while yet Brenda, it's minus 11C this morning:eek!:
Sounds like Dan has moved to a productive location, are you near the coast?

Some good garden birds from everyone already,I don't think Dunnock will be coming up here for a while yet Brenda, it's minus 11C this morning:eek!:
Here since last week in night minus 6! frosty mornings days about 6c to 8c bright blue sky and sunny. The bird feeders were moved because started getting mice, I saw them hate them and didnt want them indoors ! From kitchen glass doors can still see the birds on the feeders. But a problem I hadnt thought of with the sudden much colder weather that part of garden staying frosty longer and bird feeders frosty too . The boules de graines are frozen over night so having to put fresh every morning , also they eating the tournesol seeds but not the bird grain in another feeder that seems to stay cold . I am washing the outsides of feeders with plain warm water in mornings . The birds seem to be suddenly eating less than before it got so cold which is not normal .Didnt have frost last january.
Any ideas ?

Last edited:
I love mice, Brenda!

We get rats sometimes - don't really want them in the house.

Try removing the feeders in the evening & replace in the mornings if possible.

H

I love mice, Brenda!

We get rats sometimes - don't really want them in the house.

Try removing the feeders in the evening & replace in the mornings if possible.

H
I like lizards they are in the garden many months of the year so get them indoors sometimes but hated mice since I was a child.
Thanks thats a very good idea but not possible for me. I cant traverse the garden evenings and first thing in mornings this time of year . Wheelchair bound since I was 35 now already double that age ! A girl who comes to do housework for an hour brought the feeders indoors for me to deal with this morning.

Last edited:
Back in Lithuania!

Minus 25 C at my feeders this morning, a real crunch to the snow, rising to an almost balmy minus 19 C at the height of the afternoon.

Great Grey Shrike hunting near the feeders again, good start to the year, plus very nice assortment of woodpeckers at the feeders. Two Mute Swans over are a little unusually for this time of year - all nearby water totally frozen, presumably on the way somewhere to find an ice-free larger river or something.

1. Mute Swan
2. Black Woodpecker
3. Grey-headed Woodpecker
4. White-backed Woodpecker
5. Great Spotted Woodpecker
6. Middle Spotted Woodpecker
7. Great Grey Shrike
8. Great Tit
9. Blue Tit
10. Nuthatch

Very notable by their absence, Marsh and Willow Tits ...hope the shrike hasn't nobbled them all!

First day back home this year, garden very quiet but fortunately the sea wasn't!

1 Cormorant
2 Gannet
3 Brent Goose
4 Red-throated Diver
5 Black-headed Gull
6 Mallard
7 Common Scoter
8 Common Gull
9 Eider
10 Razorbill
11 Herring Gull
12 Great Black-backed Gull
13 Guillemot
14 Teal
15 Wigeon
16 Pintail
17 Great Crested Grebe
18 Bewick's Swan
19 Shelduck
20 Shoveler
21 Dunlin
22 Dunnock
23 Starling
24 Woodpigeon
25 Blackbird
26 Blue Tit
27 Robin
28 Collared Dove
29 Magpie
30 House Sparrow
31 Song Thrush
32 Meadow Pipit
33 Woodcock
34 Mediterranean Gull
35 Goldeneye

Actually moved inland from Falmouth - now about 5 miles from the sea. There are distant views of the sea - but realistically only one target species - Gannet, but it will rely on good (excellent) viewing conditions, the right winds (to push them inshore) and luck/persistance!

Three more to add here,
24 Wren from yesterday and then
25 Marsh Tit and
26 Tree Sparrow today. Very low numbers this winter, only one or two coming to feed.

Yesterday saw my first Bullfinch of the year in the garden and for the first time it went to my coconut feeder.

First time had six long tailed tits in the garden and all six were on one of the feeders at the same time this morning. Other years two last year five from first week january to end of march.

Yesterday saw my first Bullfinch of the year in the garden and for the first time it went to my coconut feeder.

Bullfinch dining on coconut :eek!: Yet to see one this year, and if anything like last year, more than one sighting would be a blessing.

However this was welcome this am, two males to be exact no.42

Attachments

• P1420324.jpeg  Blckp.'17.jpeg
    P1420324.jpeg Blckp.'17.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 86
Happy New Year to all garden listers. Welcome back Sue! Here's my list for 2017, 29 so far:

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Blackbird
Meadow Pipit
Robin
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Rook
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Starling
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Redwing
Buzzard
Wood Pigeon
Magpie
Coal Tit
Kestrel
Jay
Song Thrush
Cormorant
B-h Gull
Raven
Grey Heron
Goldfinch
Feral Pigeon
Yellowhammer
Bullfinch

A few to add from today:-
18. Grey Wagtail
19. Mallard
20. Moorhen
21. Wren
22. Pied Wagtail
23. Chaffinch

Also the Goosander flew over when I was walking back in from a local potter so got a snatched picture. This time a drake and a female/immature.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Goosander (reduced).jpg
    Goosander (reduced).jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back