• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jack Snipe or Snipe? Lunt UK (last week) (1 Viewer)

Hi all

Is this a Snipe or a Jack Snipe?

I ask because the RSPB website says that These birds usually arrive in the UK between September and November, leaving again in February and March and I photographed this one last week.

Also, when I noticed this little guy - and he was little - he crouched down and didn't move one inch, but as soon as I looked away at a flock of Canada Geese he was gone!

Any help always appreciated thanks

Attachments

• snipe.jpg
    snipe.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 172
I always thought Jack Snipe is not found in UK until winter anyway: mind you I'm not an expert.

In my original post I said

I ask because the RSPB website says that These birds usually arrive in the UK between September and November, leaving again in February and March and I photographed this one last week.

..so just thought I may have caught an early bird with September so close :t:

This date alone is a good pointer; also, compare bill length and head/upperpart patterns. Also, Jack is much less frequently seen in open situations such as in your image.

RB

...and may I add, that's one of those birds that often confuse until the real thing is seen - then its usually a case of no doubt straight away ;) (and they're real little darlings).

Thanks for your input RB, Andy and Simon - all good to know :t:

I deffo have a 'thing' for Snipe - such a characterful bird, but my girl doesn't like them and thinks they're odd ha ha

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back