• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Redwings in UK yet? (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

Today in Headingley, Leeds I saw a flock of maybe 15-20 birds pass overhead that were about the same size and shape as Starlings, but the flight style and flock organisation was notably different - the flock was fairly loose with birds overtaking each other, splitting off and rejoining, and the flight style seemed thrush-like with flapping alternating with gliding (as opposed to a similarly sized flock of Starlings seen an hour or so later which stayed tightly together with each bird preserving its place in the unit, and fast, constant flapping).

They were silhouetted against a grey sky and passing over quickly so I didn't try to photograph them, therefore don't expect a definite ID, but the only thing I could think of that fit was Redwings - while I have seen Mistle Thrushes flocking together in groups of maybe 8-10, I've never seen as many as this together and they seemed much too small for Mistle (while simultaneously much too big for sparrows, finches etc). However I thought it was a bit early for Redwings to be this far south yet... am I wrong? Is there anything else plausible they could have been?

Standing on cliff, in thick fog, at Flamborough on Thursday and could hear flocks coming in off the sea over head. Just couldn't see them!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back