• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye relief question (1 Viewer)

thisisallen

When looking thru Leica 8x20 UV with glasses on then the view is better with the eyecups extended/pulled up a bit, instead of being pushed in all the way. What does this indicate?
In other words, is the eye relief of the binoculars insufficient for my eyes/eyeglasses?
Is it better to use a different binocular?

I'm looking forward to the answers from the experts on this one. I would expect your experience indicates the opposite--that the binocular has excess eye relief for your situation... unexpected for such a small instrument.

Can you describe what about the view is better?

Better=easier to look thru, without blackness appearing in one eyepiece or the other.
Maybe it has to do with how the eyeglasses fit on me? I have astigmatism equally in both eyes being able to wear eyeglasses when viewing is better than not wearing them.

For accuracy purposes, probably should add that these are not the newest version of Ultravids.

Last edited:
When looking thru Leica 8x20 UV with glasses on then the view is better with the eyecups extended/pulled up a bit, instead of being pushed in all the way. What does this indicate?
In other words, is the eye relief of the binoculars insufficient for my eyes/eyeglasses?
Is it better to use a different binocular?

The image is formed on the retina when the rear eye lens is placed a certain distance from our biological entrance pupil. The eyecup has nothing to do with THAT. It is there to cut extraneous light and provide the proper spacing ... for the average observer. Do it right—no problem; do it wrong—annoying problems. :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 4.10.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 4.10.40 PM.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 31
Thx for the explanatory article, Bill. So the way I’m using these binoculars with my eyeglasses is OK? In other words, there’s no rule that states the eyecups must be pushed in all the way when using eyeglasses, correct?

Thx for the explanatory article, Bill. So the way I’m using these binoculars with my eyeglasses is OK? In other words, there’s no rule that states the eyecups must be pushed in all the way when using eyeglasses, correct?

This is a situation of whatever feels best for you! :cat:

Bill

Hi,

probably your glasses are quite close to the eye - in that case it is possible that you need some eyecup extension.

Btw. I don't wear glasses and have some pairs I use with the eyecups only partially extended - that's why they're adjustable after all.

Joachim

Hi,

probably your glasses are quite close to the eye - in that case it is possible that you need some eyecup extension.

Btw. I don't wear glasses and have some pairs I use with the eyecups only partially extended - that's why they're adjustable after all.

Joachim

Joachim is right. Until I got my current spectacles all of my binos were OK used with the eyecups fully down, but my 'new' spectacles are frameless and have thin lenses and my eyes are a bit closer to the eyepieces. With some binos I now need the eyecups up one position.

Moving your spectacles a tiny distance up or down your nose can create this situation too.

If adjusting your eyecups solves the problem then all is well.

Lee

Joachim is right. Until I got my current spectacles all of my binos were OK used with the eyecups fully down, but my 'new' spectacles are frameless and have thin lenses and my eyes are a bit closer to the eyepieces. With some binos I now need the eyecups up one position.

Moving your spectacles a tiny distance up or down your nose can create this situation too.

If adjusting your eyecups solves the problem then all is well.

Lee

Lee, my glasses are also frameless with thin lenses. I’ll try moving the eyeglasses on my nose as well as adjusting the eyecups to see what situation is most comfortable. Good to know that it’s not a problem with the binocular ER or anything.

Lee, my glasses are also frameless with thin lenses. I’ll try moving the eyeglasses on my nose as well as adjusting the eyecups to see what situation is most comfortable. Good to know that it’s not a problem with the binocular ER or anything.

It is impossible to make eyecups to bring everyone's eyes to the right position in relation to the ER/Exit pupil due to the sheer variety of facial structures, spectacle frames/lenses/position of spectacles on the nose.

Try adjustments with spectacle position on the nose and eyecup position. Depending on the eyecup design it might be possible to put rubber o-rings under the eyecups to 'extend' them.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back