• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gallery Photo Search for Species - The Easy Fix (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
As some will know, the gallery search string/link at the bottom of the bird species articles (bottom of page under external links), don't work.

There's a simple fix, but it has to be done on a species by species basis by anyone editing opus.

Firstly, clcik on edit for the external links section of an article. Delete the old search string eg.
[http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php?mcats=all&what=allfields&si=Tetrao+tetrix View more images of Black Grouse in the gallery]

In its place, put in the following search string, with the scientific name for the bird you are editing, with a + between the two parts of the name.
{{GSearch|Tetrao+tetrix}}

The above string will send anyone who clicks on it to the gallery to see page after page of Black Grouse photos.

Similarly
{{GSearch|Erithacus+rubecula}} will do the same for European Robin.

It really is simple, please feel free to have a go... there's a lot of birds to do :eek!:

cheers,
Andy

If someone want to stay closer to the original format, this also seems to work *[http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/search.php?keywords=Contopus+latirostris&cat=all View images of Lesser Antillean Pewee in the gallery]

Niels

No, I don't think that will work permanantly... this is why we have been trying to come up with an alternative, the gallery search you get in the gallery is time limited, it will expire after a week or so (the techy people say there's a good reason for that).
Please only use the suggested search string (which is far easier and more compact anyway)

A tip; paste the search string {{GSearch|Tetrao+tetrix}}
into a blank space below the last line, then copy and paste the Tetrao+tetrix (scientific name bit) from the old search string into it. Delete the old search string and cut and paste the new one in it's place.

Tetrao tetrix is just the example i have used.

cheers,
Andy

No, I don't think that will work permanantly... this is why we have been trying to come up with an alternative, the gallery search you get in the gallery is time limited, it will expire after a week or so (the techy people say there's a good reason for that).
Please only use the suggested search string (which is far easier and more compact anyway)

A tip; paste the search string {{GSearch|Tetrao+tetrix}}
into a blank space below the last line, then copy and paste the Tetrao+tetrix (scientific name bit) from the old search string into it. Delete the old search string and cut and paste the new one in it's place.

Tetrao tetrix is just the example i have used.

cheers,
Andy

No, that way would work - it is only the searches that end in ?searchid=XXXXXX that would not. HOWEVER it is still not preferred. The 'GSearch' is a template, which means that if the way the gallery searching is changed again, we can update the template and every link will be 'ok' again.

Ollie

OK I will try to use the GSearch solution. I did, however, come across a problem that I had not expected: a species (Scaly-naped Pigeon) where the scientific name had changed, and there were images in the gallery filed under both versions. I ended up repeating the search in the entry, once with each search term. Perhaps the result could be clearer if the GSearch template actually displayed which search term was used? That would also allow for example a search for the scientific name and another for the common name to be added to the same page.

Cheers
Niels

Thanks Andy. Just tried it on Lesser spotted woodpecker, It worked fine.That should keep me out of trouble for quite a time!!!:gn: :t: :t:

I've stumbled on a (not very elegant) solution for Niels's problem, where some photos have been posted with an old scientific name, and others have the new one. See the Opus page for Gabar Goshawk. Hopefully the programmers can come up with a more elegant solution.

Does anyone know of a way to define a string that includes a space as the thing that GSearch needs to search for? The problem is with Common Magpie, which no-one writes as such in their photo notes. Many people actually put in "Pica pica", but GSearch messes up if the search expression is "Pica+pica": out comes hawks and whatever. What I therefore would like to do is "Pica pica" as one term where there has to be the exact space.

(As a stop-gap, I put in Pica+magpie, but that is not very specific)

Cheers
Niels

Last edited:
People(admin ,Mods & members...) i to-day tried searching for for Bulbul(just the word Bulbul)..usualy when i did that before..all the names of the Bulbul would be shown..to-day i couldnt get them....then tried Scaly-breasted Bulbul..same thing happened..?what am i doing wrong..or is there a new to search for birds in the Opus..regards

It's OK Manjeet - it's not you for a change;):-O:-O... there's a bit of a hiccup with the Search at the moment.

Admin are aware and are working on it.

D

Btw, back on the original topic, the reason that we are using a template to perform the searches is that occasionally, when the gallery is upgraded, the way that searches are 'carried out' changes. By using a template, it means we can easily update the template and change all the links at once, should the search method change again.

Ollie

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back