• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (1 Viewer)

......this might make you ''sweat'' a bit Richard;) Reed Warbler, oh so briefly in the Sallow this am, hot on the heels of only my 2nd Goldcrest of the year yesterday....things are moving. no.74. :eek!:

Let's make that a o:), a nice surprise addition early this morning, heard singing loudly in the cherry tree before melting away unsighted, it was calling from further away 15 minutes later. Only the second I've had here, the previous one was very late May in 2017, so presumably post breeding dispersal this time:

74 Cirl Bunting

Just had THE most wanted individual bird I've ever wanted to visit my garden in the garden. Finally after seeing it regularly 200m away for nearly 4 months, our local "Italian Sparrow" has popped in with a couple of its mates to check out our fat balls 😊. Hopefully it'll appear more regularly now.

Is it an Italian Sparrow? I guess we'll never know 😊

Just had THE most wanted individual bird I've ever wanted to visit my garden in the garden. Finally after seeing it regularly 200m away for nearly 4 months, our local "Italian Sparrow" has popped in with a couple of its mates to check out our fat balls 😊. Hopefully it'll appear more regularly now.

Is it an Italian Sparrow? I guess we'll never know 😊

See if it likes the Parma Ham fat balls Larry;)
More and more young Swallows and Swifts about this week, so finally Mr Subbuteo arrived this afternoon:

75 Hobby

In 13 years of living at 1000 or 1100m altutide I've never seen one earlier than 21st June :eek!:

Only the 2nd time in 36 years! Initially seen to fly from the lower Ivy hedge up into the Hawthorn, momentarily resting before flying out across neighbour’s garden...a very un-Common Nightingale no.75.

Only the 2nd time in 36 years! Initially seen to fly from the lower Ivy hedge up into the Hawthorn, momentarily resting before flying out across neighbour’s garden...a very un-Common Nightingale no.75.

Blood and sand, Ken!! B

Absolutely amazing!!

Blood and sand, Ken!! B

Absolutely amazing!!

Unbe-knowing to me H!...I subsequently found out via a colleague and Twitter, that a record number of different CN’s have been rung this season to the SE of moi between Northward Hill (RSPB) and the Hoo peninsula 100+ so far this season!

:t:

I sat on Sauna's porch, when I heard firstly harsh voice, then something similar as Hobby's (or some other raptors) voice, but not quite that. I run to the yard and saw adult and juvenile:

#64. Caspian Terns - fly over. It was close that I dipped this species this year.

I sat on Sauna's porch, when I heard firstly harsh voice, then something similar as Hobby's (or some other raptors) voice, but not quite that. I run to the yard and saw adult and juvenile:

#64. Caspian Terns - fly over. It was close that I dipped this species this year.

Harsh voice here too Wari, but Nutcracker not Caspian Tern (still I can dream...).
August is when things start to move again, I've seen the first Common Redstarts and Firecrest since spring, plus just now a smart

76 Willow Warbler

I usually see or hear one or two on Spring passage but missed them this year.
Another feature of early August is the appearance of non-breeding Hobbies, four different individuals in the past three days,they look like 2nd year birds to me (see photo of one of them).

Attachments

• F hoberau 2 A C 3.8.19.jpg
    F hoberau 2 A C 3.8.19.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 17
Unbe-knowing to me H!...I subsequently found out via a colleague and Twitter, that a record number of different CN’s have been rung this season to the SE of moi between Northward Hill (RSPB) and the Hoo peninsula 100+ so far this season!

:t:

I've only ever seen one! Great garden bird for sure.

74. Cedar Waxwing They've been in the area a lot, just had to be in outside at the right time to hear them and see them fly over.

The young warblers are starting to come through now, and there are a couple of species I missed in the garden earlier in the year.

First addition fo quite a while.
76. Garden warbler.
A couple with the roving tit/ warbler flock patrolling the hedgerow at the side of my house.
Still not seen a hobby from the garden this year.

I
Another feature of early August is the appearance of non-breeding Hobbies, four different individuals in the past three days,they look like 2nd year birds to me (see photo of one of them).

Yes, looks like a 2nd calendar year bird. Interesting. Do you think they're local (ish) or passage birds? Here the young are just fledging, or soon to be fledged, and these families won't move south for another six weeks at least.
Are you seeing Swifts passing too?

Hobbies

I'm assuming that they're just opportunist wanderers, both here and at our old place (both houses at over 1,000metres alt with no breeding pairs close by that I ever found) the very end of July and first two weeks of August sees this happening, Hobbies with plenty of time on their hands (so no young to feed) plus when I get a decent view always seem to be these immature types with 'washed out trousers' and upperparts not as smart greyish as adults but not the browner, white flecked feathers of juveniles (still too early for fledging by a couple of weeks anyway). No doubt somewhere in Europe there'll be a project to satellite tag Hobbies, it would be interesting to discover the movements of 2nd year birds!
The groups of Swifts stopped passing about a week ago, since then just ones or twos each day.
Cheers
Richard

Well, I've just aged the female bird of my pair - she's 2nd calendar year!
Only 5% of breeding females are this young. And that might explain the infertile egg amongst the clutch.
Also, she lifts her right leg off the perch whilst resting - and one of last year's juveniles, post-fledge, had a gammy right leg - it could be that bird - now mated with her father!!

An early 6am start this morning (warm and still), as the sun hit the Ash tree a couple of movements where I logged Willow Warbler, then lower down in the Hawthorn two more movements, hope you'll forgive my ''usual'' high resolution shots ;), both in the space of two minutes, Common Whitethroat and Garden Warbler, should put me on 77.

Attachments

• P1990621.jpeg   CW.1..jpeg
    P1990621.jpeg CW.1..jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 28
  • P1990613.jpeg    Wobbler 1..jpeg
    P1990613.jpeg Wobbler 1..jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 24
A nice double whammy there Ken, every time I think I may have a skulking Whitethroat or Garden Warbler in the hawthorn edging our field it turns out to be a female/juv Blackcap :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back