• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwing? No picture sorry (1 Viewer)

ChrisLuv

Improving Birder
Can anyone offer advice on Waxwings?

I've just seen a couple of birds that are unknown to me (I haven't been birding long) by the road as I left work. There key features, as far as I could distinguish before they flew off, were:

• Black and whie wings with a definite yellow stripe
  • What I thought was a reddish cap - but I was looking from below
  • Slightly smaller than finch sized

Could this have been a waxwing (I work in Nottingham, UK) or are there more likely contenders based on the information above? How rare are waxwings, did I do well to see or are they common?

Many Thanks if you can help, I don't want to put a tick there unless I'm absolutely sure.

Chris

ChrisLuv said:
Can anyone offer advice on Waxwings?

I've just seen a couple of birds that are unknown to me (I haven't been birding long) by the road as I left work. There key features, as far as I could distinguish before they flew off, were:

• Black and whie wings with a definite yellow stripe
  • What I thought was a reddish cap - but I was looking from below
  • Slightly smaller than finch sized

Could this have been a waxwing (I work in Nottingham, UK) or are there more likely contenders based on the information above? How rare are waxwings, did I do well to see or are they common?

Hi Chris,
Good description you gave here so a quick correct diagniosis. Spot on for goldfinch I would say. Just for your info, waxwings are winter visitors from Scandinavia. They remain close to red berry bushes during their stay in the UK. Every 5 years or so there is a so called irruption where literally 1000's migrate to the UK. Last winter was such a year with them appearing as far west as Wales and Devon. Here in Hertfordshire we had 3 or 4 groups scattered around. Don't know why, apart from food plants being present, but they do appear to have a penchant for Tesco's car parks.
Unmistakable birds, starling size, but you were correct to note the yellow on the wings. Next winter (Jan onwards,) keep an eye open for them and visit local websites for news of their arrival. Altenatively spend Jan - March commuting to Tesco carparks!
Good luck with the birding. I have attached 2 photos of last year's Herts waxwings. Splendid bird.
Jono

Attachments

• waxwing-croxley-am3[1].jpg
    waxwing-croxley-am3[1].jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 107
  • waxwing-croxley-am4[1].jpg
    waxwing-croxley-am4[1].jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
jforgham said:
Good luck with the birding. I have attached 2 photos of last year's Herts waxwings. Splendid bird.
Jono

Thanks for the info - we have a huge Tesco round the corner so I'll keep an eye out ;)

The speed and quality of the answers I get from BirdForum members is fantastic - keep up the good work guys. Your help and patience is very much appreciated by those of us new to the hobby. :clap:

Yep, the first thing that comes to mind when you see a Waxwing is "Starling-like" in size and behaviour.

But prettier and less annoying of course.

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back