• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

Morning visit to the Dosthill side of the reserve. A Wheatear and 5 Mistle Thrush were on the field by the waterski pit. The woods and scrub by the reserve had many Blackcap and Whitethroat feeding on elderberries. A Willow Tit, Sedge, Reed and 1 or 2 Cetti's Warbler were by the pool.
Across the river on the new reedbed pool was a Little Egret and a Greenshank was calling.
Geoff

Afternoon visit after the mornings rain, new reedbed pool still had plenty of mud showing and had attracted 2 Little Stint and a Curlew Sandpiper to drop in. 1 LRP, 7 Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin, 1 Greenshank and 3 Little Egret were also there.
There was only 1 Green Sandpiper on Hall Lake. A Nuthatch was on the feeders and another 2 were by the silt pond lookout. A Hobby and 3 Swift flew over.
Geoff

Morning visit and there were now 2 Curlew Sandpiper on the new reedbed pool with 2 Little Stint, 3 Dunlin, 1 Greenshank, several Ringed Plover and a LRP. 2 Green Sandpiper were on Hall Lake.
A Water Rail was calling from the silt pond. Channels need to be cut into the various reedbeds here plus Fishers Mill and the heronry lookout so we can see the Crakes and Rails there.
Managed to get caught in a heavy shower for the first time this week, we could do with some shelters around the reserve. The local bus company are replacing some of their shelters, they would make excellent hides/shelters. They could be decorated with flower paintings if they are not considered aesthetically beautiful. I wonder if anyone else has thought of it?
Mind you,we could do with a bus to get around the reserve.:-O:-O
Geoff

Seen pretty much the same as you Geoff also two Ruff dropped in and I managed to get caught in two heavy showers, top idea on the bus shelters:t:

Waders were very similar to yesterday, 2 Little Stint, 2 Curlew Sandpiper, 3 Dunlin, 1 Greenshank, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Snipe, 2 LRP and 6 circa Ringed Plover. 1 Little Egret was on new reedbed pit and a Peregrine flew over.
Many House Martin passed through. Greenfinch numbers continue to increase with up to twelve birds on the feeders.

Seen pretty much the same as you Geoff also two Ruff dropped in and I managed to get caught in two heavy showers, top idea on the bus shelters:t:
Hi TR3K, I was expecting some birds to drop in during the showers.
I'm back in Lincs. this week so hope you or anyone can keep the reports coming in for Midd. Lakes, it's coming up to peak passage.
Geoff

Hi TR3K, I was expecting some birds to drop in during the showers.
I'm back in Lincs. this week so hope you or anyone can keep the reports coming in for Midd. Lakes, it's coming up to peak passage.
Geoff

Will post as and when I can get over

New Reedbed 4-5pm, 2 Little Stint, 2 Curlew Sandpiper, 1 Dunlin, 1 Greenshank, 5 Ringed Plover, 2 LRP (juv), 2 Little Egret, 2 Yellow Wag and Swift over. Also large numbers of swallows and martins.

Large numbers of swallow and martins around over new reedbed pool area.
Few swifts spotted too.
Pair of little Egrets on Fishers Mill Pool.
Other common waders such as dunlin, greenshank etc.
Lesser spotted woodpecker on feeders, my first sighting of one! :t:

Large numbers of swallow and martins around over new reedbed pool area.
Few swifts spotted too.
Pair of little Egrets on Fishers Mill Pool.
Other common waders such as dunlin, greenshank etc.
Lesser spotted woodpecker on feeders, my first sighting of one! :t:

Were you sure about the Dunlin, if there was 2 then there might have been a posibility you were infact looking at the 2 juv Curlew Sandpipers that are on the new reedbed pool for thr last few days!
Well done on the LSW, Great birds.
May visit the reserve sometime soon
MB

Edit- Just seen a Dunlin was seen there today also

Last edited:
Heronry Feeders, Great Spotted Woodpecker and 12 Greefinch

New Reedbed 4-5pm, Wood Sandpiper, 2 Curlew Sandpiper, 1 Dunlin, 1 Greenshank, 5 Ringed Plover, 2 LRP (juv), 2 Little Egret, 5 Swift over. 100+ House Martin. Sadly no sign of the Little Stint

no thanks for that midlands birder!

Questioned myself for a sec then but TR3K reinstated my first thoughts of Dunlin :t:

Was quiet busy there today i thought, will start to improve over next few weeks now hopefully so im presuming numbers will be on the increase!

pair of hobbies out feeding over new reedbed pool.
dunlin, ringed plover, little stint, greenshank and redshank present on new reedbed pool.
3 buzzards soaring above farmers fields close to bridge and canal.
apparently a booming bittern was heard on the reserve today, unsure as to how true that is.

pair of hobbies out feeding over new reedbed pool.
dunlin, ringed plover, little stint, greenshank and redshank present on new reedbed pool.
3 buzzards soaring above farmers fields close to bridge and canal.
apparently a booming bittern was heard on the reserve today, unsure as to how true that is.

Good spot on the little stint :t:

If it wern't for the guy next to me with the scope I probably wouldn't have picked it up with the bins.

Pair of hobbys displaying over reedbed pool were brilliant!

Are you sure about the little stint? A few other people had the usual 2 Curlew Sandpiper and a Dunlin. Could you have had a Curlew Sand with a Dunlin rather than a Dunlin with a Stint?

Also a Bittern would usually Boom in the early spring.

Cheers Tom

Yeah that could be a possibility but a few other guys i.d as little stint and also spotted on rspb website that a little stint was reported yesterday, around 3pm out on new reed bed pool spotted from the riverside of the pool by the bench.

Yep I just spotted it on the board and presumed it probably wasn't a bittern but thought i'd post on here just make to you all aware that this had been unofficially reported.

Cheers.

I wouldn't rely on the RSPB Board - All sorts of surprising sightings appear on there! Best place to check sightings is here or on my blog ;-)

Was quiet yesterday evening 1 Wood Sandpiper, 1Black-tailed Godwit on New Reedbed with a couple of Swifts over. Was also told there was Snipe, Greenshank and Redshank about earlier in the day.

RSPB 1-3pm

Middleton Hall Lake, 2 Green Sandpiper, 5 Shoveler, c30 Teal

New Reedbed, 2 Curlew Sandpiper, 1 Dunlin, 1 Greenshank,

North Pit, Hobby over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back