• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Mike Montier

Happy New Year to all readers and contributors to this thread. May 2016 bring you good health and lots of great birding. I look forward to meeting up with many of you again later in the year. Mike

Happy new year, Mike- hope all goes well for you on the health issue- I am looking forward to being at the (Fergus Style) Pollensa Park Hotel from 26th March for a fortnight, and it's great that the La Gola centre is re-opening and there is a new toy to try out at Albufereta- it should make seeing what is there much easier, although I shall still wander along to the mound for the ambience and the serenading Corn Buntings and FTWarblers. Hugh- in a cold at last Northampton.

A few Common Crane being seen today but no large groups yet. Hawfinch at Son Real, several Northern Gannet and a Woodcock reported. Mike

Hi all

Can I request the whereabouts of the new tower at Albufereta ? Also does anyone know of a social media account that imparts Mallorca bird news ?

HNY

Chris

Attachments

• s'Albufereta tower platform.jpg
    s'Albufereta tower platform.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Thanks Martin. As you know, I am hopeless at maps and directions.
With regards to information about sightings, this thread probably covers most of the birds but the G.O.B. Site has a section "Forum Aus" which has photos as well as details but is in Spanish or Catalan. Many birders also post on Facebook but I only get a few of those. Mike

Martin / Mike
Thanks for replies i know now where new tower is located and hopefully will watching some great birds from there this coming Spring.

Chris

A bit more information on the Hawfinch at Son Real: it was seen on the Blue walk number four from the first hide you come to. It was seen to the left hand side and some brilliant photos were taken. I am going Saturday as it's a bird I have yet to see in Mallorca. Also the sylvia warblers will start showing well soon, many birders understandably come here in May but as most have found out, they are more elusive at that time. Mike

Just re-read my post and I was referring to Balearic and Dartford warblers. Moltoni's warblers can be seen well from the reservoir at Cuber going to and from the nest. The young can usually be seen well too later in the year, often around the dam. Sub-alpine warblers pass through in good numbers in the spring. Sardinian warblers are abundant and Blackcaps are resident. Mike

I have never seen the salt pans with no birds until this morning, absolutely nothing but it was very windy. Nearby at Colonia Sant Jordi there was one lonely Flamingo, several Redshank, Greenshank, Common sandpiper, a few Black winged stilts and a Marsh harrier. Mike

I also saw five distant waders which looked very much like Knot but these are very rare here and only seen as migrants. I saw five here last autumn. Today's birds were obviously in winter plumage. They were the correct size (when compared to the nearby Redshank) with short bills and right shape. I still have no telescope as it is broken but the views were good if distant. I just can't think what else they could have been. Mike

An injured Common crane is at the back of Salobrar de Campos in the area known as Sa Barrala. Hopefully it will be taken into care. Mike

Three Scop's Owls calling tonight at a friend's house in s'Alqueria Blanca in the south and a Long-eared owl flew past. All I needed was our regular Barn owl on the way home to complete the set but no such luck. Mike

Results are in for the "Bigyear". Maties was the very worthy winner, top man, but I was a miserable ninth. I guess being out of action in both the spring and autumn didn't help but I am going flat out to do better this year. Already seen some great birds with many more to come I hope. Mike

Woodcock seen tonight just after six o'clock near Porto Petro. They are not too difficult in Mallorca but a lovely bird to see at dusk flying over the tree tops. Mike

A fabulous day today. I opted to go to Son Real but quickly received news that some great birds were being seen from the coast including three Razorbills, many Gannet and a Great skua.
However, I was rewarded with stunning views of Hawfinch at Son Real. After eight years of trying it was a sweet moment. Mike

Last edited:
Well done with the Hawfinch Mike. I'm back out on the 25th, so hopefully they'll still be around. Where exactly did you see them ?

Hi Kevin
On the Blue Walk number four. The first hide you come to on the right. There is a drinking pool which I never knew existed. Birds come to drink all day long, Crossbills, many Siskin and I also had good views of a female Bullfinch but sadly no photos. I haven't mentioned it to anyone because without a photo it cannot be accepted. They are sometimes seen but have been treated as escapees. Let me know when you are next over and we may be able to meet there. It's a great place to photograph birds from the hide. Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back