• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

reed warbler or ... (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

I had this bird couple of years ago - identified by me as a reed warbler ..... but I'm wonderinglike about a small primary projection, clearly "light" top, and lack of lore ?

Attachments

• Obraz 389.jpg
    Obraz 389.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 169
I would never claim to know enough to ID a Blyth's but that is a seriously short, stubby bill for a Eurasian reed warbler. That's pro-Blyth's right?

Michael

I'm seeing a lot of pro marsh warbler features here.

Short stubby bill,
rounded head
yellowish legs and feet
well marked tertials
general pale sandy tones

I know the PP looks short, but I wonder if this could be something postural. I'd hope to see a much better supercilium on a BRW

It looks simply too reddish for anything but a Reed warbler to me.
In any case blyth’s is not an option solely based on tertials pattern.

It looks simply too reddish for anything but a Reed warbler to me.

A quick look at the green stems shows a reddish cast to many of the edges - not as extreme a case of colour alteration as has been seen on here, but perhaps the real thing was not so reddish ... ?

As Michal suggested, the pp is extremely short for RW, and the emarginations fall in line with the tertials, the bill looks heavier because it’s partly open with prey items....

Cheers

I can't see any emarginations!

I can buy this being a reed warbler for sure, but I don't think its a Blyth's.

pp is not too short for reed warbler. but definitely too short for marsh.

Agreed, the pp looks to be 2/3 of tertials, that’s the overlap with BRW. Emarginations which I can see on blow up, appear to be at the extreme end of the tertials, which would favour RW over BRW.

Cheers

thank you very very much for all the discussion and solving the puzzle :) I should add that the bird was from Poland, where feeding Blyth's it would be an incredible rarity :)

Doesn't the pale eye suggest paddyfield warbler? That would also suit the contrasting tertials and ,to my eyes, short primary projection. I presume range would go against this though. Happy to learn otherwise as I have always found these species very difficult.
Howard

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back