• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Noctivid vs UV HD Plus chromatic aberration control. (2 Viewers)

binomaniac

Romania
Hi everyone, i want to buy an Noctivid 8x42 or UV HD Plus 8x42 but because i am very sensitive to chromatic aberration i wonder wich of them is better in this aspect . Thank you very much guys .

Hi everyone, i want to buy an Noctivid 8x42 or UV HD Plus 8x42 but because i am very sensitive to chromatic aberration i wonder wich of them is better in this aspect . Thank you very much guys .

The short answer is that the NV is better than the UV in this regard, but if you're very sensitive to CA you might want to look elsewhere. But then again do you value a relaxing natural view or do you prefer the 'perfection' of a flat field? It depends on what's top of your list of priorities.

Last edited:
The 7x42 ultravid+ should show a little less CA compared to 8x42 Uvid+
due to lower magnification. I can't comment on Noctivid having no real experience with it.

Thanks guys , i was hoping from Noctivid to be better , especially at this price . Regarding to 7x42 , would be even better for my needs , i don t have very ferm and stabile arms ,but unfortunately there is no Noctivid 7x42

Thanks guys , i was hoping from Noctivid to be better , especially at this price . Regarding to 7x42 , would be even better for my needs , i don t have very ferm and stabile arms ,but unfortunately there is no Noctivid 7x42

I have the NV 10x42 and the UVHD+ 7x42. If 7x is enough magnification for you I highly recommend it. The NV is great, but the UV 7x42 is a very special binocular.

Anyway , i can't find a place in Romania to see both binoculars and compare them , i have an Zeiss SF 8x42 , i am very pleased with him but i think maybe an binoculars without field flattener like Noctivid will fill better my optic needs . But if the level of corection of the cromatic abberations is worst in Noctivid respect Ultravid HD Plus , then i would choise an 7x42 UV HD Plus.

Anyway , i can't find a place in Romania to see both binoculars and compare them ... .

WOW... I live in a major metropolitan area in the U.S. and share the same problem. Sounds like a global issue. The binocular companies should do something about this!!! :-O

CG

WOW... I live in a major metropolitan area in the U.S. and share the same problem. Sounds like a global issue.

It sure is a global issue. Now, if we all bought our optics locally and not via the internet, things would be quite different ...

Hermann

Personally, I find Leica to have the worst control of CA of any of the four 'alpha' brands. If CA was your biggest concern, and you wanted a binocular with a traditional distortion profile, I'd look at the Zeiss Victory HT with the Swarovski SLC-HD just behind. Both are better at suppressing CA than either the UVHD+ or the NV, to my eyes (I am rather sensitive to chromatic aberration).

Last edited:
Thank you jremmons , i beginning to make an idea from what is the best option for me . I have had an SLC 8x42 the last incarnation , i let him go before i bought the SF so i loose the chance to do an comparation betwin them . But i still remember the view from SLC , and i think he was a little more relaxing with a little better corection at the border of the field . Anyway i looking for the possibillity to found an try an HT 8x42

The truth is ,i really want to see an Noctivid too. Esp. an 8x42 one . But the only one solution would be to buy one ,eventually second hand from ebay. I must confess i bought 90 percent of my binoculars from ebay . Maybe like many other binoculars fans . So no wonder it s no many traditional shop to have them on display .

I too am very sensitive to CA and it has driven me away from several binoculars i would otherwise really like.
If you really want to avoid it, i would be looking at perhaps an older Zeiss Victory FL, or the Kowa Genesis - although the 44mm is a bit of a beast, weight wise.
Leica i would agree are perhaps the least-adept at controlling CA of the alphas generally, and - much as i like almost all other aspects of much of the range - this has always been a deal-breaker; however.....
At BirdFair 2018, (and just on a whim) i tried the Ultravid HD+ 7x42, which to me exhibited very little CA and provided a bright, sharp, well-contrasted image in a very ergonomcally-comfortable package. I could easily have lived with that model - the first time a Leica had really presented almost all i needed, with little that i didn't care for.
However, i have an FL 8x32, and i still find little to top it as a birding bin - you really have to struggle to find CA at all.
I still think of that 7x42 from time to time though........

Last edited:
I too am very sensitive to CA and it has driven me away from several binoculars i would otherwise really like.
If you really want to avoid it, i would be looking at perhaps an older Zeiss Victory FL, or the Kowa Genesis - although the 44mm is a bit of a beast, weight wise.
Leica i would agree are perhaps the least-adept at controlling CA of the alphas generally, and - much as i like almost all other aspects of much of the range - this has always been a deal-breaker; however.....
At BirdFair 2018, (and just on a whim) i tried the Ultravid HD+ 7x42, which to me exhibited very little CA and provided a bright, sharp, well-contrasted image in a very ergonomcally-comfortable package. I could easily have lived with that model - the first time a Leica had really presented almost all i needed, with little that i didn't care for.
However, i have an FL 8x32, and i still find little to top it as a birding bin - you really have to struggle to find CA at all.
I still think of that 7x42 from time to time though........

Hey Paddy,

I have the Ultravid HD+ 7x42 and I had the 8x32 FL briefly last winter. I panicked from spending so much money on the FL back then and got rid of it. I couldn't justify the purchase at the time since I needed coats, footwear and clothing. But, lately I've been having some regrets not hanging on to it.
I'm fully satisfied with my 7x42 and don't really need anything else.
I still think of that 8x32 FL from time to time though....

Agree, the FL seems practically CA free and the best I've ever seen in this regard. It's a great binocular and I do sometimes think I'd like to buy it again and keep it. Right now it's not in the budget and it may never be since I'm really trying harder to save money :-C ... but I'd love to have it again

Last edited:
Hi GG -
Has to be said, they're both great binoculars, and we're fortunate to be in a position to make comparisons! Economic priorities being what they are, i'm sure we'll get along fine with what we already have!
Whether it is the 7x magnification that improves the handling of CA i don't know - however, it seems to be the sole different factor in the range of Leicas i've tried. I still think Leica are the most stylish design, although the Noctovid seems to have departed from that a little.
As has been said many times, most designs are a combination of compromises and it is important to understand what your own priorities and 'red lines' are within this blend.
For me, i can forgive soft edges in order to get better depth of focus, but CA - that's my personal red line. Other threads have discussed whether perception of CA is greater or lesser according to the individual eye, and some seem not bothered by it all. I accept that it can be induced in almost any binocular if you really want to push it, but if it is there in normal viewing conditions, i'm afraid i have to pass on that set.

Hi GG -
Has to be said, they're both great binoculars, and we're fortunate to be in a position to make comparisons! Economic priorities being what they are, i'm sure we'll get along fine with what we already have!
Whether it is the 7x magnification that improves the handling of CA i don't know - however, it seems to be the sole different factor in the range of Leicas i've tried. I still think Leica are the most stylish design, although the Noctovid seems to have departed from that a little.
As has been said many times, most designs are a combination of compromises and it is important to understand what your own priorities and 'red lines' are within this blend.
For me, i can forgive soft edges in order to get better depth of focus, but CA - that's my personal red line. Other threads have discussed whether perception of CA is greater or lesser according to the individual eye, and some seem not bothered by it all. I accept that it can be induced in almost any binocular if you really want to push it, but if it is there in normal viewing conditions, i'm afraid i have to pass on that set.

My red lines are weight and any problems with comfortable viewing wearing glasses such as incompatible eye cup shape, small EP and of course short ER.
I can't use compacts anymore due to the tiny EP. Before I wore glasses I enjoyed small binos. I had to return a Cabelas Euro HD 8x32 (Meostar) for not being comfortable/compatible with glasses for me. FL was better with glasses despite same eye relief.

One time I got rid of a cheap Bushnell roof for obvious ugly CA right in the center. In general I'm not too sensitive to CA and can tolerate it as long as it's not real bad.

First time I picked up a 42mm Ultravid at a store I was surprised by its nice ergonomics. Based on product photos I always thought it would be too bulky to be comfortable. Agree, it's a real nice looking design and comfy to handle and look through.

While perhaps not appropriate in the context of a Leica thread, you might like to have a look at the Pocket 8x25FL Victory if you get a chance - may change your mind on compacts....!

Hi paddy7 , thank you very much for your input, i have had 8x32 Fl ,8x42 Fl, 10x56 Fl, and 10x42 Fl, all of them was great instruments , oustanding chromatic abberation control but in strong light all of them show a little deficient in the contrast department . Also i have had Kowa Genesis 10x33 ,but he display an image with a little greenish hue. Anyway i am very anxious to to see an 7x42 UV HD PLUS or Noctivid 8x42 .

Regarding to the victory 8x25 ,i bought one from Ebay for a friend who don't have the Ebay account. So how the bino arrived to my address i opened the package and i have do a little comparation betwin him an my pocket cl 8x25. Don t get me wrong ,the victory is a joy tu use, very relaxing an with large fiel of view also very bright, but in term of resolution and esp. contrast my Cl pocket was much better . Just my opinion of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back