• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arrow Valley Lake and Park (Redditch) (1 Viewer)

No problems. It was at Lower Farm fisheries. There looks to be a lot of work going on there at the moment. But if you drive past the Lodge slightly uphill there is a turn left where cars goes go in. It was the right hand side of that small drive.

No problems. It was at Lower Farm fisheries. There looks to be a lot of work going on there at the moment. But if you drive past the Lodge slightly uphill there is a turn left where cars goes go in. It was the right hand side of that small drive.

Is this anywhere near Iknield Street please.

Keith

Yes Keith very close. Turn onto Dagnell End Road and its on your right. If your reach the turning for the Abbey Park hotel you have gone to far.

Good Luck

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 17.04.38.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 17.04.38.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 97

That was my 'local' local patch until they started the extensive works last year. I've not visited much at all since about last August, but Corn Bunting would be a site tick for me. I'll have a look tomorrow.

I do have a list of just over a hundred for the pools and surrounding fields, which I posted here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800 (no idea how to link it properly, but it's on the first page of the Coney thread) in response to Dave's Coney Meadow list.

Mike - Thats brilliant. I've only actually been up the Lower Farm road a few times. Is that where most of these were seen ? The pond are was really messed up and not like it looks on website. Only had a couple of BHG's on when taking a look.

Would be interested in the area you are watching regular ?

There is industrial units at the end, is there any other paths off that road you cover ?

Mighty sharp this morning. I met another Lake birder on the East path (apologies I forgot your name) who reported he can seen and heard a Chiffchaff. Great to be out in sunshine.

The Lake today was frozen in many places and activity was limited. Goosander have sadly moved on.

Plenty of small common birds including some super looking Siskin. Saw my first Reed Bunting on East path reeds and 3 separate Nuthatches being very vocal. (Different places).

After a wide circuit I headed up to the north again to Lower Farm. On the Fisheries there was 2 Oystercatcher, Grey Heron, 20 Tufted Duck plus a good number of BH Gulls. 2 Lapwing were displaying on ploughed fields.

40 Canadian Geese were in field behind the pools and oddly 4 opposite Beoley Garage.

New species for year :-Lapwing, Nuthatch, Reed Bunting, Chiffchaff (not my self)

Total species for year :- 53

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 87
Thanks Neil for all your help....
Went along on Sat mid-morning.
I drove up the lane and thought I saw something by the two large trees on the right opp the 1st building on the left...but no good I.D.
Carried on up slowly level with Fishing lakes ...lots of diggers in residence but I did not have a look up there.
Went up to around red X on map and turned around and doubled back and waited opp fish lakes and a White Van came down with a dog following.It stopped behind me and I thought "here we go"....the bloke asked what I was up to so showed him Bins and camera and felt tempted to say "skiing"...well it was snowing !
But told him birding and he wanted to know what I was after...said "Corn Bunting-it's a little brown job"...he replied "I am the premier birder(think said in country) and there's NO Corn Bunting around here- or a Snow Bunting"
I said pity in all this snow.....
Anyway he told me it was all private along here and even the anglers are not allowed past the entrance to lakes..."it says on the sign"
"I never saw that" I said but apologised for being there.
Went on my way after he told me how Redditch/Bromsgrove used to be a 1st class birding place years ago before they built the new towns and I stopped near those 2 trees again to look at a large flock of winter Thrushes but he waved me on......

What had I done wrong on my trip ?

Cheers
Keith

Attachments

• Corn Bunt Map copy.jpg low.jpg
    Corn Bunt Map copy.jpg low.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 93
Sounds like you copped a local superstar !! I've never seen a sign to stay you can't pass any where. I only drop in like you did yourself. Keep posting the pics as they are brilliant.

Hi Neil/Keith,

It is correct that you shouldn't venture past the entrance to the pools. The road leading up towards the farm is not actually a public road, it gives access to the industrial/office units next to the farm, and is also used by the farmer to access his fields.

The sign referred to by the chap Keith met has been damaged (if not knocked down) by the lorries bringing material for the works going on at the moment so may not be obvious.

I'm not sure what will happen with the access as and when the works have finished. The previous fishery manager was happy to give permission to visit provided there was no conflict with the anglers. Not sure what the position will be with guy who is having all the work done, but there was no problem last year - although I only saw him once.

Cheers
Mike

Stopped in at the north of park on way to work. At the fisheries there was 2 Oystercatcher, Grey Heron and two nice fly passes by a Raven and Curlew.

The lake was very quiet in terms of wildfowl, Greylags were only species above average numbers.

5 Herons looking settled around the nests. Superb Kingfisher flew underneath me when stood on small bridge on East woodland path. Nuthatches very vocal.

Picked up 2 Treecreeper for first time on west side of park.

Species count for year :- 56

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    450 KB · Views: 126
A tentative quick visit today up to the fish ponds which are still in construction....
Loads of Starling and a few Fieldfare along with Crows -Chaffinch and Tits in fields just before ponds....for some reason they ALL took flight ,never to return.Could not see any reason though.
5 Tufted and 2 Coot (3 with me) on one of the ponds with a few Pied wags as well.
Keith :t:

Attachments

• Canon 88 018.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 88 018.jpg low.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 134
Cracking circuit around the lake and park early this morning.

Highlights were :- 5 Chiffchaffs, 3 Willow Warblers, 1 Housemartin, 3 Swallows, 6 Sandmartin.

Then drove to Lower Moor but fisherman had beat me to ponds so nothing was about except 6 Lapwing in ploughed field. After passing the turning for the golf course heading towards the Milestone pub there were 2 Red Legged Partridge by side of the road.

Interesting that you had good numbers of Chiffs and WW. Along a section of the Arrow near Alcester yesterday I had 12 Chiffs & 2 WWs in an hour! Unprecedented numbers. Maybe the use the river every year as a route to summer quarters, and it's just that they've all arrived together this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back