• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black & white birds Rocky Point Sonora MX (1 Viewer)

Seen near Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) MX Oct 26, 2019

I think they are all 3 the same species but I could be wrong. I am not seeing anything in Merlin that looks like these.

Help please. Thank you, thank you!

Attachments

• PA260650.jpg
    PA260650.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 89
  • PA260652.jpg
    PA260652.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 82
I think you need to look at gulls. The last image reminds me of a laughing or Franklins gull in breeding plumage - only problem is that it's the wrong time of year

Niels

Thank you all for your input! My apologies for the pause. Birdforum is set to notify me once a week so I didn't realize there had been replies. My bad!

I did look at gulls. Merlin brings up every bird that would be black & white, crow to crow+ size, and on the the ground or swimming/wading. I've changed the parameters to try to get different results and maybe stumble into it. CA gulls show some gray backed/headed but I remember this being black rather than gray. Same with what I am seeing on the Herring gulls. Some images I'm seeing of the Laughing gulls have the gray or very dark backs but there is white flecking in them. Maybe I am not finding just the right image.

RE the killdeer:
We saw a lot of those on the golf course. They were definitely brown on the back and I recall this being clearly black. And these birds were bigger than the killdeer we saw.

I've been wondering (especially considering the solo bird) if these could be Black-necked stilts and I can't see the color/length of the legs due to the bank.

What do you all think? Is that possible?

Sorry, it has been so long since I saw a killdeer that I had forgotten it has such a strong white band around the back of its neck. Additionally, these images must be very high contrast given how black the head looked

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back