• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jamaica Bay,NY,USA-9/2018 Herring Gull ? (1 Viewer)

It looks good for Herring Gull Larus argentatus, as all North American field guides will say.
Though not good Gull guides 8-P

It doesn't look like a typical Herring Gull Larus argentatus at all (notably much darker, more uniform / less streaky underparts) - which is why all the good Gull guides (like Olsen & Larsson, mentioned above) split them as separate species :t:

Though not good Gull guides 8-P

It doesn't look like a typical Herring Gull Larus argentatus at all (notably much darker, more uniform / less streaky underparts) - which is why all the good Gull guides (like Olsen & Larsson, mentioned above) split them as separate species :t:

Any idea of differences between book you recommend and "Gulls of North America,Europe and Asia" by the same authors and published by Princeton University Press about the same time but it has 60 pages less ?

Any idea of differences between book you recommend and "Gulls of North America,Europe and Asia" by the same authors and published by Princeton University Press about the same time but it has 60 pages less ?

While I don't know about the 60 page difference, they should otherwise be the same book since they were published in the same year.

Sorry, no idea! I didn't even know there was a separate Princeton edition - I looked it up and found this detail. My copy has 608 pages, and also covers 43 species with 823 photos, so the taxonomy is the same but it may perhaps have a few (23) more photos unless the '800' is a rounded number. The page size is the same, but mine is 4.1 cm thick vs 3.8 cm cited for the Princeton edition. Very strange!

Might be worth posting a query in the Books section of the forum, or see if it's already been covered in an older thread?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back